Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No especially since Tesla already confirmed the plaid has 18650
You had to go and ruin my amazing daydream didn’t you?

I agree, they did confirm the 18650 cells. Then they had significant trouble maximizing those cells with the new chemical properties to increase power output and charging speeds. It apparently became a hazardous safety issue that shut down production for almost 6 months and I don’t think we really know how they solved this problem. Maybe they realized the 18650 architecture could not achieve what was required for the plaid performance specs. I don’t know, but I think anything is possible with Tesla.

Just trying to keep the dream alive!

tesla_monkey.jpg

Tesla Delivery Monkey™

My prediction for the 3rd:

The Plaid Model S will essentially be the Plaid+. It’ll contain the 4680 batteries and have 500+miles of range. It’ll have the active aero rear wing we’ve seen and will start shipping in June. The LR model will use the existing batteries and will begin shipping once production catches up on Plaid models. The Plaid+ model will go away and Plaid+ reservations will be converted to Plaid.

Evidence to support my hypothesis:
-Plaid+ was pushed way out around the same time the big model S delays started
-Plaid+ is no longer an option on the Tesla site.
-Plaid availability is currently listed as June
-Twitter “insiders” are hinting about big news on the 3rd and that performance is much more impressive than they’ve led us to believe
-The radio silent delay feels like it could be a big change that they were uncomfortable talking about.
-The rumored “battery cooling issues” would makes sense with the new cells
-The version of the car on the track had active aero. Seems unlikely this is a one-off and unlikely that it would be a Plaid + given the proximity to the current release
-LR has significantly outsold Plaid. This would make many people (myself included) consider the extra money for the Plaid.

#OneCanDream

The Plaid Model S will essentially be the Plaid+. It’ll contain the 4680 batteries and have 500+miles of range. It’ll have the active aero rear wing we’ve seen and will start shipping in June. The LR model will use the existing batteries and will begin shipping once production catches up on Plaid models. The Plaid+ model will go away and Plaid+ reservations will be converted to Plaid.

-Twitter “insiders” are hinting about big news on the 3rd and that performance is much more impressive than they’ve led us to believe
-The radio silent delay feels like it could be a big change that they were uncomfortable talking about.
-The version of the car on the track had active aero. Seems unlikely this is a one-off and unlikely that it would be a Plaid + given the proximity to the current release
-LR has significantly outsold Plaid. This would make many people (myself included) consider the extra money for the Plaid.

#OneCanDream

These are compelling arguments.

If true, I would consider changing my LR order to Plaid.

I just keep coming back to how weird it was to have the whole Plaid/Plaid+ distinction in the first place. Plaid+ was never supposed to be a thing. Seems like they invented it to hedge their bets. If the 4680s weren’t going to be ready, well they would release them in the “Plaid +” and fall back to the existing architecture. The fact that the Plaid+ got pushed out so far, that there was a long delay with the Plaid/LR and that now you can’t even order a Plaid+ seems really fishy to me.

If you were hoping the refreshed Model S would use 4680s but were unsure if they’d be ready in time, this is exactly how you would play it out.

Reactions: TNGuy99 and T-Racer

#OneCanDream

Can they get enough 4680's to make plaids right meow?

#OneCanDream
You talked me into ordering a Plaid! I feel like I’m playing the lotto!

C5FDF1FD-0C3E-4DB7-B27E-D0739CFDF11A.jpeg

#OneCanDream
1621967499669.png

3/24 order; Plaid; MSM; Cream; Michigan; Current Delivery Estimate: 6/1-6/30

If the LR stays at the current performance level, I am perfectly happy. Would I like it faster and active spoiler - sure, why not? But not interested in a track car. Would like the better range if that is what comes out.

To change out the current plaid to the active spoiler would just be a whole tailgate change (and software, etc). This might be what they are doing with the boots open on the flyover. They can reuse the original tailgates for the LR.

If the LR stays at the current performance level, I am perfectly happy. Would I like it faster and active spoiler - sure, why not? But not interested in a track car. Would like the better range if that is what comes out.

To change out the current plaid to the active spoiler would just be a whole tailgate change (and software, etc). This might be what they are doing with the boots open on the flyover. They can reuse the original tailgates for the LR.
Completely agree! I'm looking forward to adding my own spoiler to the LR. We could also use the other ~40k towards Solar or other accessories!

August is holding firm. Thought for 5 seconds about "could I do really do plaid to jump my eta?? and saw this and said, nah it's okay.

When they originally launched the Plaid option, it was $139,990 (based on my order agreement). They then introduced the Plaid+ at that price (+$10k) and a new Plaid trim at $119,990.

Now, the theory is that they've updated batteries, added an aero wing, increased range, and will be giving everyone a Plaid+ at a $20k discount from when it was announced ($30k from where it is now).

Did someone use one of their genie wishes, or am I missing out on some great kool aid? 😂

Im WAY too new to Tesla to know what the hell I am seeing, so I wait for the information from people on the board to tell me if I should get excited or not. My delivery date updated back to June 1 to June 30 last night. One thing I do know is that there are not a ton of white sedans in there :)
It would be helpful even to people who have followed Tesla for a while for these videos to be narrated.

Im WAY too new to Tesla to know what the hell I am seeing, so I wait for the information from people on the board to tell me if I should get excited or not. My delivery date updated back to June 1 to June 30 last night. One thing I do know is that there are not a ton of white sedans in there :)

There are a lot of 3/Y in the flyover. Just a couple red or whites. So the line is efficient, Elon had those red and white cars made by taking a blue one and spray painting out back. It looks like they did a good job taping it off...