Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VINs VINs VINs - Could they have something to do with June delivery dates??? I am paying cash and don't need a VIN for loan approval prior to delivery. Could that be it?

Is there anyone with a June delivery date that is financing?
I am financing, but not with Tesla. As far as they are concerned it is cash. I was August forever, then blanked along with most others a few weeks ago.

I was foolish in retrospect, but when the website said the car would be delivered in February/March and Elon said it was already in production, I assumed I was going to get the car in February/March. If you had told me then that actually, Tesla would delay the car until ??? with no email or phone call based on unidentified "parts shortages" and battery problems and then would prioritize June purchasers of plaid over me, there is no way in hell I would have bought this car. Now, I'm emotionally invested, but I'm at the end of my rope with this company and think Elon is a scumbag.
Well I think we all look either foolish or brilliant in retrospect. All we can do as consumers is work with the information we have available to us. Most people are simply not naturally prepared or programmed to deal with the communication or lack thereof coming from Tesla. It is certainly a newly learned behavior. I am banking on this car being amazing like everyone else is saying it is.

Edit: all the information I had about the car and the brand came from my father in law who I think might be heavily in love with Elon and Tesla and would probably jump at the chance to cuddle with him in the back seat of his Model S. Clearly not the objective feedback I could have used this spring when car shopping.

You've answered your own question. Put yourself in AMD's shoes -- why do you give 2 squirts about keeping Tesla happy over your actual customers? Tesla treats their customers like garbage but not all businesses operate like that.
Tesla is still a buzzy brand and it's good brand marketing for AMD to be associated with cutting edge things like autonomous vehicles and to be picked by Tesla
about 8 pages back 😆

giphy-5.gif

It takes 3 weeks to get here and I still have no VIN. I don't believe 6/21-6/30...
I believe your store will match your order against the allocation of cars they get, so there is still hope

Sony has a requirements contract for most of the key ingredients to Tesla's SoC from AMD. This means AMD has agreed to prioritize Sony's needs over any other buyer. Only when Sony's needs are satisfied, can AMD supply chips to others. Then, there are other competing long time volume purchasers like MSFT (which might also have a similar contractual arrangement with AMD).

Tesla basically has created a very similar SoC to the PS5 but it is far lower in the supply chain. MSFT also got its contract in years before Tesla. Tesla can't magic their chipset and they can't independently fab or make the chip like FSD.

Finally, AMD is still pissed that Tesla changed from their GPU platform (HW2/2.5) to their own in house architecture. Remember, AMD saved Tesla when they split from ME but now AMD has other car clients and a booming crypto chip business on top of their usual gaming.

Your statement is so wrong, Tesla could be supplied with off-shelf design that AMD sells and has nothing to do with Sony/Microsoft.

Also it was nVidia GPU being used on HW2/2.5 post Mobileye.

Reactions: Tigers
I'm giving 50/50 odds that there's one car that gets three silver ones, and one dark one 😄

Mandatory delivery content: my MSM/Cream/19/FSD/RN1142 order, which was "June" for a few weeks, switched some time last night to no mention of delivery, which is where it was since the refresh was started so no huge loss there.

Mandatory (apparently) unpopular opinion: I thought the silver hubcaps looked tacky and cheap, and thing the dark ones still look tacky and cheap. For context, I'm an engineer and have no taste or sense of style, but I like the 19" Slipstream wheels on my 2018 S and am strongly considering buying a set off eBay when the new S arrives, assuming they'll fit properly. I like the look of the Arachnids but would worry about bending 21" rims on the streets around here.

Mandatory idle speculation: Elon decided that every LR needs a pair of working cowbells mounted like truck nutz, which is why there's a full lot of apparently finished Ss collecting dust; they're awaiting trailer hitch installation.
I loved the Slipstreams on my 2016 90D. Was planning to replace the new LR Tempest rims with the Slipstreams but glossy black. Only concern I have would be reduced range, as I understand the 19" Tempest wheels are designed to maximize range. If anyone has thoughts on this, would love to learn more about better options for getting best range.

Reactions: epotter
I believe the brake system is still Brembo and they come pre-painted form the factory--if you forage around the Brembo site, their is an article on their multi-step process. But, maybe this is another aspect of the supply chain issue--inability to get red calipers?

Are the brakes actually Brembo's or just a copy?

I found an article dated 2016 titled "Tesla has chosen Brembo to manufacture brakes for the S and X" but nothing since.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
With all due respect, you shouldn't be meeting with anyone about selling your car until you have a Vin assigned. Same with financing. This has been rehashed in the previous 1600 pages on this post. At this point, it's frankly your own fault if you do anything different than wait for a VIN assignment.
With all due respect, mind your own business and don't tell others how to conduct their lives.

That's what I thought until my June delivery went blank again. LOL
Might be wishful thinking on my part (and probably is), I think the blank dates are a good sign. Especially given that those who ordered prior to refresh and early refresh orders are blank. My interpretation is that those with blank dates no longer need to be estimated as they are next in queue to get assigned VINs from the first batches (which are not quite available yet, but imminent). Those with estimated dates are just that, still estimates based on possibly getting VINS assigned from the end of the early batches or the next round. Guess I'm just a glass half full kind of guy.

PS. Full disclosure, I've had no estimated date for many weeks now. Also, I sent an email to Tesla Financing and was told that although my offer expired, the offer would be extended "closer to delivery". At least they have not being doing credit checks along the way!