Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Known capacity? Rounded number? Surely you jest. 81.7 KwH at best per Jason Hughes.

Much better to let Adam/Omar find the CAN bus cable, and then we will know what the BMS says...with adapter, reader, and SMT...
I have cables courtesy of living through BatteryGate--any idea where to plug in?

how does a 2021 Plaid with 10% greater efficiency over a 2015 P85D (36/100 vs 33/100) get 37.5% greater range (348 vs 253) with a batter that’s only marginally larger than 85kwh?

80.5kWh for your 2015 P85D, 253 rated miles. (318Wh/mi)
103kWh for the Model S Plaid, 348 rated miles. (296Wh/mi)

I should add - that battery is not just marginally bigger. It's 28% larger.

So, if you add 7% to the scalar (0.75 rather than 0.7), and that makes the range 35% higher all else being equal. (It's possible that it didn't increase this much - it could only be 4-5% higher.)

The remaining 2.5% (or perhaps a little more) is likely other efficiency improvements (which is pretty good given the rubber on these vehicles - though your P85D probably had decently sticky tires as well).

OK, granted I am running on about 3 hrs of sleep, but if I run the pack down to something like 50% then charge back up to 90%, can't I just divide the kWh added by 40% to get a decent approx of usable pack?
Not exactly, because of the buffer, although what you're proposing would be close to right, I think, due to the vagaries of how Tesla reports "kWh added" (which are NOT the actual kWh DC added, oddly enough, lol).

I would recommend recording BOTH the RATED MILES added (as large a % as possible), and the kWh added. You will need to change the Energy Display mode (Energy vs. Distance) to get it to show you both these numbers. It doesn't show them concurrently, to my knowledge.

You should also record the starting and ending % for good measure, to eliminate any ambiguity.

What's the rated miles at whatever percent you are at right now?
This would also be helpful, though I assume the results are going to extrapolate to 348 miles as expected.

Reactions: croman
Not exactly, because of the buffer, although what you're proposing would be close to right, I think.

I would recommend recording BOTH the RATED MILES added (as large a % as possible), and the kWh added. You will need to change the Energy Display mode (Energy vs. Distance) to get it to show you both these numbers. It doesn't show them concurrently, to my knowledge.

You should also record the starting and ending % for good measure, to eliminate any ambiguity.
OK - I'll take the car out for a nice long run tomorrow and see what that tells us.

80.5kWh for your 2015 P85D, 253 rated miles. (318Wh/mi)
103kWh for the Model S Plaid, 348 rated miles. (296Wh/mi)

I should add - that battery is not just marginally bigger. It's 28% larger.

So, if you add 7% to the scalar (0.75 rather than 0.7), and that makes the range 35% higher all else being equal. (It's possible that it didn't increase this much - it could only be 4-5% higher.)

The remaining 2.5% (or perhaps a little more) is likely other efficiency improvements (which is pretty good given the rubber on these vehicles - though your P85D probably had decently sticky tires as well).
Def not going to be anything like an older car. Remember there is a whole nother motor. So getting even close to same rating is pretty impressive

Def not going to be anything like an older car. Remember there is a whole nother motor.

Yeah, baseline raw unscaled consumption looks pretty close to the same if not a little bit better than the 2015 P85D. Which shows that they really have improved things decently (a few % neglecting the silly scalar). In spite of three motors, sticky tires, etc.

This is all assuming similar charging efficiency - which seems likely - that's another place they could win, and we don't have that info yet. I don't really expect it though, since the Model Y and the Model 3 have also been stubbornly stuck at 88.5% or so and if they had the ability to improve AC-DC efficiency there, they would have used it, I assume.

OK - I'll take the car out for a nice long run tomorrow and see what that tells us.
Might be faster to look for that sticker :p

Your Tesla battery pack information is found on a sticker affixed to the front right side of the battery pack that can be seen when looking under your car from just behind the front right (passenger side) wheel.

Might be faster to look for that sticker :p

Your Tesla battery pack information is found on a sticker affixed to the front right side of the battery pack that can be seen when looking under your car from just behind the front right (passenger side) wheel.
Well on other cars yes. Who knows about this one. I think they've looked.