Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the video that I got the preconditioning screen grab from. Highway pull looks super legit.

@omarsultan @Atomadam ...Omar & Adam -- hoping you can provide a little more insight on this since you've both been driving your new MS Plaids around for a couple days now. Have you seen this video? Watch as the guy drives on the highway on-ramp toward the middle-end of the video and gets up to speed > 100mph.

I know I sound like a broken record here but GEEZ, those turns (even just a highway on-ramp right turn) look AWFULLY awkward and uncomfortable with the guy's left hand/arm going from the 9 o'clock position, holding on what seems to be his dear life to literally the 1-2 o'clock position without moving his hand a centimeter! It certainly doesn't look comfortable twisting your shoulder like that and in fact, I just "mock" tried it here in front of my computer...and it's not comfortable at all! I really think this yoke thing is a completely ridiculous idea dreamed up by a man-child wanting to play a video game instead of actually driving a 1,020 HP/TQ machine that can actually kill someone!

Unless people can figure a better way to maneuver that yoke steering wheel, I may have to figure a way to test-drive a new refresh MS Plaid before taking delivery and handing over a $146k check to Tesla! WTF were Elon and Franz thinking on that crazy thing for mass consumers?!?!?!?! Don't get me wrong, the car looks and seems amazing and I'm excited...but the yoke steering wheel may just be the biggest F-UP of the decade for Tesla!!!! 👎 🤬

Last edited:
Got date for delivery on account page for Late June. 2 days later it was gone.

Attachments

• 27477447252473.jpeg
    27477447252473.jpeg
    625.9 KB · Views: 70
Sorry, I was asking for the charging curve. What was the kW you were seeing during the charging session?
It started at 118kW but I did not watch the whole thing, as soon as I plugged in, folks were coming over and asking questions. I am planning on hitting a 250 kWh charger in the next couple of days and recording the whole session.

I've still got a few pages left of catching up to do, so sorry if someone already mentioned this but is it possible that Superchargers will need updated software before they can take full advantage of new battery/charging capabilities in the S? Given that the software in the cars is still not totally done, and there are safety implications of fiddling with the rate of charge, it could be that charging rate is going to be artificially low until they decide they're ready to juice it.
The only way to take advantage of the faster charging capability is to utilize a V3 Supercharger that is capable of changing at 250 kW. These are quickly being added to the network, but they are still few and far between. Most V2 Superchargers are only 120 kW and some have been upgraded to 150 kW, but these chargers generally share the power between an a and b charger so if a car is plugged in next to you then your charge rate is cut in half.

The only V3 Supercharger I have ever been to is in Hawthorne, CA next to SpaceX and the Tesla design studio. The charging speeds were incredible. In 15 minutes, I went from a pretty low state of charge to 80%. Barely had enough time to get my Starbucks.

Last edited:
So happy to see VIN assignments for our East Coast brethren! 🥳

“Most ironic of all was the last gift Raziel had given me: more powerful than the sword that now held his soul, more acute even than the vision his sacrifice had accorded me; the first bitter taste of that terrible illusion...hope.” - Kain, Soul Reaver

Cell form factor is much ballyhooed. Cell chemistry matters more. 18650 also deliver power in excess of 2170s so it makes sense to keep it for a beast like plaid/LR.

As long as the pack delivers, who cares what shape the cells are. 4680 will change that but they clearly aren't ready.

So, interesting observation from someone at the event.

He asked Franz if the plaid used the 18650 cells. Supposedly, Franz just demurred and did not answer the question.

WHY would he do that? Elon already said 18650's would be used.

UNLESS, there is something seriously different about these cells from prior cells. Not just chemistry.

Imagine a tabless design in the 18650 form factor. While all the competitors are scrambling to make a new form factor, Tesla knocks one out of the park using an existing cell line.

^^^Speculation of course...

So, interesting observation from someone at the event.

He asked Franz if the plaid used the 18650 cells. Supposedly, Franz just demurred and did not answer the question.

WHY would he do that? Elon already said 18650's would be used.

UNLESS, there is something seriously different about these cells from prior cells. Not just chemistry.

Imagine a tabless design in the 18650 form factor. While all the competitors are scrambling to make a new form factor, Tesla knocks one out of the park using an existing cell line.

^^^Speculation of course...
18650 comes from Japan, highly unlikely to be tabless

• Informative
Reactions: HumanInput