Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do you see that? I still see same it has been, wood and black interior June, but white or CF August.
Can’t believe they still haven’t changed it all to august to be honest with you. Highly doubt if you order a car right now with wood and black interior it’s coming in 2 weeks…
Ah my mistake. I thought i had black interior selected. I still see June for black/wood. Sorry, all.

Ok all you Tesla geniuses. Since we are bored waiting anyway, let me ask your opinion on this. I have a funky driveway situation and I don't think the charge cord will reach to my outlet when I get my car. I purchased this 50 AMP extension cord. It is super thick and weighs about 10 pounds. This is not your standard outdoor extension cord. I can use the 14-50 Tesla adapter to plug into this cord and it gives me an extra 15 feet to get to the 14-50 outlet. In addition, I bought a 14-50 to 5-15 adapter, so if all that is available is a 5-15 outlet, I have an extension to get to that type of outlet as well. I didn't see anything in the current Tesla manual that says you cannot use a proper extension cord. This seems like more than enough since highest charge is 32 amps with mobile cord anyway. Tell me I'm not going to burn down my house or ruin my car.

Attachments

• Cord Setup 1.jpg
    Cord Setup 1.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Cord Setup 2.jpg
    Cord Setup 2.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Cord Setup 3.jpg
    Cord Setup 3.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Cord Setup 4.jpg
    Cord Setup 4.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 39
Ok all you Tesla geniuses. Since we are bored waiting anyway, let me ask your opinion on this. I have a funky driveway situation and I don't think the charge cord will reach to my outlet when I get my car. I purchased this 50 AMP extension cord. It is super thick and weighs about 10 pounds. This is not your standard outdoor extension cord. I can use the 14-50 Tesla adapter to plug into this cord and it gives me an extra 15 feet to get to the 14-50 outlet. In addition, I bought a 14-50 to 5-15 adapter, so if all that is available is a 5-15 outlet, I have an extension to get to that type of outlet as well. I didn't see anything in the current Tesla manual that says you cannot use a proper extension cord. This seems like more than enough since highest charge is 32 amps with mobile cord anyway. Tell me I'm not going to burn down my house or ruin my car.

I have done the same thing with a UL rated 50A continuios cord (Designed for welding applications) on plugged into a 6-50 outlet attached to a Gen 2 MC.

No problems for two years, except for the MC cord running a bit warm at max (32) amps. I charge at 28A which is 20/mi of RR per hour, and the MC cord is fine with that.

Having said that, your setup might have other problems

Check the Tesla Tap site for excellent tips on charging.

OK, now I am curious, so....Draggy ordered and I will go find some backroad where I can responsible daly around a bit
Yes, haha! Mine get's delivered tomorrow so I guess I'll have to test with my current car which is suppose to do 0-60 in 3.7 seconds.

I'm sure you'll test all the different 0-60 scenarios 😂 Be safe!

I fully expect some material upgrade to the car in the next 6 months--it is the Tesla way:
  • Parking sensors were added to the S the month after I took delivery
  • AP2 was added to the X 6 months after we took delivery
I have to admit I am a little irritated about the AP thing, but in general, I go the car I paid for, so doesn't bother me.
This isn't directed at you, Omar. Just a general observation. Btw, thanks for all you've been doing.

I've thought about this since I started reading this thread. I'm not defending Tesla's lack of communication on the delays, but what isn't massively delayed these days? Chevy Tahoes, Ford F-150s, golf carts, refrigerators?

I remember the considerable angst and outrage in earlier Tesla days when people would order a car, and the next month some great new feature would appear. If I had known, I would have waited!

I guess my question is this. Would you rather wait six months or so for the refresh, or would you have rather bought the previous version a month prior without knowing the refresh had just started production? I agree neither is ideal, but given those choices definitely the former for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yes, that's more than fine. I used the same one occasionally with a Gen 1 charger at 40a.

You'll find your extension cord is much heavier than the cord that comes from the other end of the Tesla charger for various reasons if you haven't used one yet.

You can probably find more detailed information in the battery and charging sub-forum.

I've thought about this since I started reading this thread. I'm not defending Tesla's lack of communication on the delays, but what isn't massively delayed these days? Chevy Tahoes, Ford F-150s, golf carts, refrigerators?

I remember the considerable angst and outrage in earlier Tesla days when people would order a car, and the next month some great new feature would appear. If I had known, I would have waited!

I guess my question is this. Would you rather wait six months or so for the refresh, or would you have rather bought the previous version a month prior without knowing the refresh had just started production? I agree neither is ideal, but given those choices definitely the former for me.
Me? No.

The battery/drive unit warranty on my car was up in July. I did not want to own the car out of warranty. If I ended up spending $10K on a new drive unit or $15-$20K on a battery pack that could have otherwise gone towards a new car, I would be kicking myself.

But even then, waiting is a fool's game. You are never gonna get a the best car because Tesla will always be adding stuff and it's moving target. My advice is pull the trigger and start enjoying the car as soon as possible. Make peace that there is probably something that shows up in 6 months that you will want. Someone six months from now might get some cool new feature but, but then, I would have had six months of enjoying my personal spaceship.

The issue isn’t the wait. It’s for those of us who ordered in feb March when they said they would deliver, then April, then May. It’s the constant moving of the finish line that is at issue.

This issue was interesting 1500 pages ago.