Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they crash tested it with it on they are required to deliver it with it on.
sflgator said:
Agreed. Won't each local SC take it off for you just prior to delivery though? Anyone know from past experience on the front license plate holder?
@Ramphex - Can anyone provide more intel on the stupid front plate holder? Are there holes underneath? We one platers here don't want that garbage in the front šŸ˜„

I have purchased 5 new Teslaā€™s in California, and all of them came with the front license plate bracket in the frunk. This was the case even though a front plate is required by CA law. The individual SC is supposed to put them on, but thankfully that has never happened before. With the refreshed Model S, they appear to be installed at the factory. If you look at the drone footage, you can clearly see that these cars have the front plate bracket before they are shipped from Fremont. If you want it removed, you will need to remove it after delivery. Fortunately, the screws are underneath and will leave no visible holes.
43D13036-71E4-4A8F-9C94-C4A60015F411.jpeg

Last edited:
Can anyone provide more intel on the stupid front plate holder? Are there holes underneath? We one platers here don't want that garbage in the front šŸ˜„
Iā€™m wondering the same thing. Hopefully itā€™s just temporarily attached and no permanent holes are beneath it.

I have purchased 5 new Teslaā€™s in California, and all of them came with the front license plate bracket in the frunk. This was the case even though a front plate is required by CA law. The individual SC is supposed to put them on, but thankfully that has never happened before. With the Model S, they appear to be installed at the factory in Fremont. If you look at the drone footage, you can clearly see that these cars have the front plate bracket before they are shipped from Fremont. If you want it remove, you will need to remove it after delivery. Fortunately, the screws are underneath and will leave no visible holes.
I wonder if the local SC where you take delivery (in a state like FL that doesn't have front license plates) will take it off for you if you ask? I know pretty much every other auto dealer will do this for you if you ask, but Tesla does whatever they want no matter what's accepted as standard practice in the auto industry, so... ?

Weā€™re there holes beneath the pre-installed license plate holder?
I removed the front license plate frame. Makes a huge difference

I used an adjustable wrench just to get it started. Then removed the screws by hand. Tough part was removing the frame that was glued to the bumper. Used a heat gun and gently separated the unit from the bumper. Peeled the warm glue with my fingers. Took about 15 minutes.

Here you go!

Here you go!
Dcher said:
I used an adjustable wrench just to get it started. Then removed the screws by hand. Tough part was removing the frame that was glued to the bumper. Used a heat gun and gently separated the unit from the bumper. Peeled the warm glue with my fingers. Took about 15 minutes.

Itā€™s unfortunate that they made it harder to remove by using glue. Yuck!

• Funny
Reactions: EndlessPlaid