Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if you are in frostbite country or not... but you end up with such a good seal that the window often freezes into the door AND freezes upright without being able to retract. Get the door open, you still have to get it closed without damaging the window or doorframe. It's been a real annoyance for me for the past three winters...
Read horror stories of all Tesla owners windows being frozen over and Model 3 door handles rendered essentially useless from ice over.

There have been at least 1-2 reports of the SC holding a vehicle because of a need to change wheels. To me, that implies the wheel and cover will change, not just the cover.

Someone pointed out earlier that the edge of the rim peeks out around the hubcap, so if you change the color of the hubcap but not the wheel there will be a silver ring around the edge. They had a photo and it does look pretty silly.

On the one hand it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was some Elon Musk style decision to change the color from silver to something darker, but it would be hideously expensive to pull the wheels off every car with 19s that we saw sitting in those lots, dismount the tires, paint the rims and paint/replace hubcaps, re-mount tires, etc just to change the color before delivery. If they're really delaying delivery to change out the 19s it would make more sense that they're doing it because of some defect in the wheels that would have otherwise resulted in a recall.

There are two funky screws in the bottom of it that have to be removed but the holes they go in aren't visible. There are videos on YouTube of people using 90 degree needle nose pliers to remove the screws but I went ahead and ordered the socket to remove them: Assenmacher TSE10TP5 Tesla E10 5 Lobe Socket
There are no longer any screws/bolts attaching the plate holder to the bumper. We removed the front plate holder from a 2017 Model S on Sunday and had to remove the screws. When I checked the plate holder on the 2021 Model S Plaid yesterday, there weren't any screws to remove.

Read horror stories of all Tesla owners windows being frozen over and Model 3 door handles rendered essentially useless from ice over.

It's such an utter PITA. Cranking the heat through the app helps, but I have been stuck outside in the cold more than once pummeling the door handle to get it open. Felt like Basil Fawlty beating the hell out of his car.

I thought Tesla had made some improvements here. However, this isn’t a problem with frameless Windows / pillarless doors in general. Lots of other manufacturers do this, and my previous Audis never had a problem with it. Those things are used in freezing places all the time.

I don’t recall hearing about the old S having this problem, so hopefully it’s not an issue on the new ones either.

There are no longer any screws/bolts attaching the plate holder to the bumper. We removed the front plate holder from a 2017 Model S on Sunday and had to remove the screws. When I checked the plate holder on the 2021 Model S Plaid yesterday, there weren't any screws to remove.
Great, so I just spent $27.82 for a tool I'll never need. 🤣

So how is it held on underneath?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
That is for older S. @MorrisonHiker stated that it does not use the same method of attachment.
oh ok for me it looks almost the same see below

1624477652248.png

@Dcher Post 41,156
I used an adjustable wrench just to get it started. Then removed the screws by hand. Tough part was removing the frame that was glued to the bumper. Used a heat gun and gently separated the unit from the bumper. Peeled the warm glue with my fingers. Took about 15 minutes.
Thats interesting because it contradicts what @Dcher told us he had to do to remove the front plate holder. Maybe they just forgot the screws on the Plaid you gave us that nice look at.

Thank you for that great video!

@Dcher - where were the screws located that you needed to remov?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
So how is it held on underneath?
We didn't try removing it. I assume it was just held on with more double-sided tape.

Thats interesting because it contradicts what @Dcher told us he had to do to remove the front plate holder. Maybe they just forgot the screws on the Plaid you gave us that nice look at.

There weren't any holes. I was feeling around and couldn't find the bolts in the same place I felt just a few days earlier on our 2017 Model S. Erik got down and confirmed: "No bolts. I got on my hands and knees to look. Its a completely different bumper so they had to completely redo the piece."

@Aleks0404 , View attachment 676798 shows the new model, not the old one that wrapped around and was bolted on.

Spoke to SA.

When you do the switch from CF to Wood, with no increase in price, this basically puts you into the system as IF you placed a new order. It certainly bumps you up in line from if you stuck with CF, but doesn’t mean your at the front of the line. Said June at this point most likely not happening, but never know. Would assume over the next few weeks to get a VIN and delivery based on my build, just like what the rep said from Fremont that switched me to the wood from CF.

This makes sense now. Because you switch to wood from CF it’s like putting in a new order, so probably like 3-4 weeks or so from that date…..speculation of course.

Carbon fiber and 19” rims are delayed for production.…..maybe August/September is what I was told, just FYI. Outside of Black, MSM, and some white also delay….sorry Red orders.

See what happens.

@Dcher - where were the screws located that you needed to remov?
So I think @Dcher comment is valid. They still had to remove the front "bracket" with a screwdriver. That is part 1 in @Aleks0404 image they posted. But once you remove that, the back bracket (part 2) is held on by two pieces of tape (part 3).

Spoke to SA.

When you do the switch from CF to Wood, with no increase in price, this basically puts you into the system as IF you placed a new order. It certainly bumps you up in line from if you stuck with CF, but doesn’t mean your at the front of the line. Said June at this point most likely not happening, but never know. Would assume over the next few weeks to get a VIN and delivery based on my build, just like what the rep said from Fremont that switched me to the wood from CF.

This makes sense now. Because you switch to wood from CF it’s like putting in a new order, so probably like 3-4 weeks or so from that date…..speculation of course.

Carbon fiber and 19” rims are delayed for production.…..maybe August/September is what I was told, just FYI. Outside of Black, MSM, and some white also delay….sorry Red orders.

See what happens.
ah. well that is worst possible scenario for anyone with 19s