Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up at Chicago service center yesterday, Vin 6904, Res 5339, 60kwh, SC, Air, Pano, Tech, Stereo, Shelf, Blue/tan/ob matte. Reserved 8/2011, Finalized 11/2012.

By checking in earlier in the week, I moved up delivery by one day. On arrival, I learned the charge chord was stuck and the charge port had to be replaced. Luckily, they had one in stock and I was able to return later. Delivery and orientation was smooth and easy. I met a new P85 owner who needed a new tire due to a puncture wound and gave him a ride home, roughly 25 miles to Northbrook. He repeatedly remarked how quick my 60 felt and that he coukdn't feel the difference between mine and his.

At home, I discovered that the electrician installed a 6-50 outlet instead of the 14-50 I had requested. Its been sitting there since October and until I had the chord in hand, I had no idea. So, I'm charging at 2mi/hr while I wait to see how quickly the outlet can be swapped.

The car is awesome. Beautiful, Comfortable, mind boggling, and WICKED fast.
Great to hear about the car, esp. since its a 60. Though its amazing that you finalized so long ago and are just getting the car. By contrast 85ers who are getting cars now finalized just last month.

Sorry to hear about the outlet type issue. My understanding is that it isn't trivial to change a 6-50 to a 14-50. Since 14-50 has a neutral wire and is 4 pin , vs 6-50 which has no neutral wire and is 3 pin. Might it be easier to get a 6-50 adapter for the UMC? Tesla does offer/sell one. (Usuallly you can choose between 14-50 and 6-50 adapter from Tesla or get both for the additional $45 plus shipping.)

Great to hear about the car, esp. since its a 60. Though its amazing that you finalized so long ago and are just getting the car. By contrast 85ers who are getting cars now finalized just last month.

Sorry to hear about the outlet type issue. My understanding is that it isn't trivial to change a 6-50 to a 14-50. Since 14-50 has a neutral wire and is 4 pin , vs 6-50 which has no neutral wire and is 3 pin. Might it be easier to get a 6-50 adapter for the UMC? Tesla does offer/sell one. (Usuallly you can choose between 14-50 and 6-50 adapter from Tesla or get both for the additional $45 plus shipping.)

Although I opted for Air, I had initially finalized as Standard. So, I got pushed to the back of the line of 60s w/air (even later reervations). So, if you have Standard, get ready.

My electrician is coming today. He thinks its got the wires and they just need to swap the recepticle. If he has to fish a wire, I will think about letting him off the hook and getting the 6-50 adapter. Is there a reason to prefer either 14-50 or 6-50?

- - - Updated - - -

Not that I know of. 14-50 is more common in the wild esp. At RV parks which is useful. 6-50 is more common for welding. If you have both, then you're set. If you had to choose, 14-50 might have more utility, depending on if you will we'd to charge at RV parks. Of course the J1772 adapter will cover you elsewhere in the wild.

Just drove home P06618. P85 silver. Had the Conti tires and no badge. Due bill high power charger, parcel shelf and spoiler. Car is fast on the freeway as I was playing with it I got a dashed yellow line on the power orange side of the meter. Must be some kind of limiter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fremont factory delivery today vin:6742
tesla.jpeg

Maybe he'd be willing to pay the $45 for the adapter you need and not have to change anything if the wires are incorrect. You will want a 14-50 plug for travel though.

Kudos to Kapital Electric (Chicago Area). Even after I told the owner that I could get an adapter, he had his electrician run the wire and install the 14-50, at his cost, within 24 hours of having contacted him. He didn't even try to suggest that I was to blame for requesting the 6-50 or that I should pay to correct their mistake. Why is it so surprising when businesses actually do the right thing?

With @Shurhold reporting VIN 6602 on the truck to Florida, we can do some math. The Q4 Shareholder Letter told us that Tesla had produced "more than 3,100 vehicles during the full year" of 2012, and presumably fewer than 3,200. These two facts suggest that Tesla has produce 6600-3100=3500 vehicles to date this quarter, I think.

Or are there gaps in the VIN sequencing I'm not taking into account? Or should the 3,100 figure in the letter be read to mean 3,100 cars for delivery to customers, exclusive of marketing vehicles (which have VIN #s). And then there's a certain % of cars that are scrapped after VIN assignment.

Regardless, the gap can't be too large, suggesting that the factory is turning out about 55 cars/day (taking into account the factory closure at the New Years holiday), right on track for 20,000/year and somewhat above the pace needed to hit the 4,500 production target for Q1.

Did the VINs start over at 1 when they started delivering production cars? If so, then you haven't counted the ~1000 sigs that were delivered last year.