Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you wondering about aftermarket tire sizes and wheels. I looked some up on tirerack and there are quite a few choices for summer tires and a few all season options too for 20' wheels. They are almost identical in diameter to the stock 21" tires. Depending on wheel setup, you should be able to knock of 11-12 lbs per corner over the 21" arachnids. 45ish lbs of unsprung weight.

265/40/20 fronts
295/35/20 rears

Pirelli Cinturato P7 all seasons
Michelin Pilot Sport all season 4's
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s summer tires

TS Sportlines will be the cheapest wheels with tires when they come out, but they are still flow forged and heavy.
Martian wheels will be the best bang for you buck and they are light and forged. The M3P guys seem to like them. There aren't too many styles and I'm not sure when they come out.
Signature wheels are probably the highest quality, forged, light and perfect offset, but they are pricier.

HRE and TSW also have some nice wheels in 9.5” and 10.5”.
Also, great ‘performance’ all season tires at a good price are the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Have exact 19” sizes but only 245-40-20 and 275-35-20.

Lol agree. I felt the opposite up until a few days ago. Now the videos are making me anxious but I still find myself watching every single plaid and LR video 🤣 😍
I’ll probably binge when I have a VIN and a date assigned, the day prior or something. Right now it’s just making me hate Tesla’s customer service so much more, knowing there’s something great that I’m willing to pay for, was promised by their sugar site to come in June, and there’s 0 communication and a Ken Doll delivery date.

HRE and TSW also have some nice wheels in 9.5” and 10.5”.
Also, great ‘performance’ all season tires at a good price are the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Have exact 19” sizes but only 245-40-20 and 275-35-20.
I’ve been running DWS on my Evo X for 7 years now. Fantastic all season tire with one of the highest ratings for tread wear.
can we now finally play Witcher and cyberpunk 2077? Or at least Pong?
In 2 weeks

Woah woah woah! What's wrong with Millennials? As a Millennial who ordered the Long Range back in December of 2020 and knows how to properly spell "enough" I must say, I fear for the "unknown things" that could happen more than most! Happy July to you mysterious person of unknown generation :)
Another ole Swedish proverb.
Throw a stick into a pack of millennials and the one that yelps is the one you hit.

Why would you want narrower? Better mileage? It is my belief in winter that you want as wide as possible for better traction, but I can be mistaken. Thanks!
Wider for better traction is a misconception for any season. It has validity to a point, a very fine point. But in the winter you want a narrow(er) tire to cut through the snow and slush so it does not float on top of it, due to the large surface area.

Why would you want narrower? Better mileage? It is my belief in winter that you want as wide as possible for better traction, but I can be mistaken. Thanks!
Narrow tires can get down thru 6-8” of snow instead of “snowplaining” . Wide tires are good on bare ice , especially if you have ice capable tires. Of course narrow tires decrease the contact patch that increases pressure on the tire surface that will increase bite so in theory narrow tires could help on ice also but I have always felt wide is good for ice. Not much is without complicated thinking.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
So a tire twice as wide has no larger contact patch??? So why does the plaid have so much wider back tires if it does not help traction which has a direct correlation with contact patch size?
There are other dynamics related to tire width but it's simple physics with respect to contact patch size, pressure, and load.

Assuming the tires run at the same pressure the contract patch will be shorter and wider on wider tires but it has to be the same total area.

An absurd amount of attention has been given to this dynamic with road bike tires and how different widths affect rolling resistance, especially in real world conditions.