Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really really wish I had thought to save the teslacam video of my encounter with a new Taycan Turbo S owner yesterday. It still had temporary plates, and we had some open road.

It was friendly and all smiles, but I have to assume he was slightly disappointed to learn that the Porsche salesperson was wrong when they told him the Taycan would walk away from any Tesla above 40mph. :)
OMG imagine the annihilation! The Model S Plaid is over a SECOND faster in the 1/4 mile, and traps 20+mph more! Imagine spending $200,000+ for 'the fastest Taycan', and it gets walked by a car that is $60,000 less expensive. I know there is an argument for the 'nicer interior', but to get a truly nice interior on the Taycan, you have to add over $10-15k of options. That means that the base Taycan RWD which starts at 80k, ends up being around $110-130k after options! For a car that is as fast as a SR+ Model 3! It really is kind of embarrassing at this point.

(Disclaimer: I know performance in a straight line isn't everything, and many people will still buy the Taycan.)

Last edited:
I really really wish I had thought to save the teslacam video of my encounter with a new Taycan Turbo S owner yesterday. It still had temporary plates, and we had some open road.

It was friendly and all smiles, but I have to assume he was slightly disappointed to learn that the Porsche salesperson was wrong when they told him the Taycan would walk away from any Tesla above 40mph. :)
Oooooooops

OMG imagine the annihilation! The Model S Plaid is over a SECOND faster in the 1/4 mile, and traps 30+mph more! Imagine spending $200,000+ for 'the fastest Taycan', and it gets walked by car that is $60,000 less expensive. I know there is an argument for the 'nicer interior', but to get a truly nice interior on the Taycan, you have to add over $10-15k of options. That means that the base Taycan RWD which starts 80k, ends up being around $110-130k! For a car that is as fast as a SR+ Model 3! It really is kind of embarrassing at this point.

(Disclaimer: I know performance in a straight line isn't everything, and many people will still buy the Taycan.)
I was very very seriously considering a Taycan a few months ago and test drove two different trims. On: "nicer interior" I'll just say that the number of buttons in the Taycan (and most cars) actively annoys me after driving a Tesla for a few years. I do not want to learn what every one of these things does, and was angry trying to figure them out. I think Audi and other brands have often seen button count as a differentiator in high end cars (more buttons more features), but this is probably going to end once people realize that four different cruise control buttons are just bad UI.

And on that note, the bigger problem I had with the Taycan was the criminally bad lane keeping system. It was certainly unusable and borderline dangerous. As someone who does a lot of highway miles, I thought it would do at least as well as the 2017 Civic I owned a while back, but nope - terrible.

There were positives to the Porsche - I drove one spec'd with the concept wheels and it was gorgeous. The handling was amazing, quite possibly the best handling sedan I'd ever driven (though now that I have a Plaid, I'd love to compare once again). And tbh, the dealer was nice and friendly, but considering how much they make off of each of these cars, he should be.

In the end, here I am with a car that costs substantially less and feels like what I wanted when I went searching for non-Tesla cars...

I imagine people will be receiving the 19s soon, or already have done so. This was in Renton, WA last night, if you missed the post.
I still have my doubts about that blue S with the 19" wheels. Like ... it all looks fine, but a) this is the only one we've seen, and b) there's no Tesla logo on the center cap. Another photo of that car was floating around last week.

On the regular configurator on the web site, the dark wheels have a chrome-ish Tesla T on the center cap. This looks like someone just painted the old silver hubcap and didn't bother to do anything with the center cap. 🤷‍♂️ Don't know what it means, it just doesn't seem like a finished product.

I was very very seriously considering a Taycan a few months ago and test drove two different ones. On: "nicer interior" I'll just say that the number of buttons in the Taycan (and most cars) actively annoys me after driving a Tesla for a few years. I do not want to learn what every one of these things does, and was angry trying to figure them out. I think Audi and other brands have often seen button count as a differentiator in high end cars (more buttons more features), but this is probably going to end once people realize that four different cruise control buttons are just bad UI.

And on that note, the bigger problem I had with the Taycan was the criminally bad lane keeping system. It was certainly unusable and borderline dangerous. As someone who does a lot of highway miles, I thought it would do at least as well as the 2017 Civic I owned a while back, but nope - terrible.

There were positives to the Porsche - I drove one spec'd with the concept wheels and it was gorgeous. The handling was amazing, quite possibly the best handling sedan I'd ever driven (though now that I have a Plaid, I'd love to compare once again). And tbh, the dealer was nice and friendly, but considering how much they make off of each of these cars, he should be.

In the end, here I am with a car that costs substantially less and feels like what I wanted when I went searching for non-Tesla cars...
I believe I remember when you went and looked at them. March or April, right?

Another issue is that when VW AG then attempts to follow Tesla and replace buttons with screens, the screens are rather clunky. The main screens are fine, but the secondary climate control screens on the console, (the ones you interact with most), require a hard press. This results in more distraction on the road, because not only do you have to look down to see what you're hitting, but you have to press fairly hard on the screen to even get it to respond. It seems to have gotten so bad, that on the Audi E-Tron GT, they actually went BACK to buttons (🤣) for the climate control, and gave up on their lackluster screens.

Reactions: Maximus023
This is simply incorrect unless the wider tire lets you use a lower pressure.

Because car tires have a rectangular cross section, whether that is true is more complicated than on a bicycle tire.

Generally speaking an increase in tire volume allows for a decrease in pressure.

That is also true, while we could spend a lot of time going over the nuances of tire pressure, contact patch shape, tred pattern etc. The point was simply that the coefficient of friction is the same regardless of width. There are other reasons to choose a wider tire but it is a misconception that simply going wider increases traction.

I believe I remember when you went and looked at them. March or April, right?

Another issue is that when VW AG then attempts to follow Tesla, and replace buttons with screens, the screens are rather clunky. The main screens are fine, but the secondary climate control screens on the console, (the ones you interact with most), require a hard press. This results in more distraction on the road, because not only do you have to look down to see what you're hitting, but you have to press fairly hard on the screen to even get it respond. It seems to have gotten so bad, that on the Audi E-Tron GT, they actually went BACK to buttons (🤣) for the climate control, and gave up on their lackluster screens.
Yep, It was both March and April, actually :)

And yeah the UI on screens depends on how good you are at writing a UI. With a button, I can buy a switch/thing from a supplier know that it does X, but when you give some automakers unlimited screen real estate, you end up with the EQS, which is a car commercial's idea of what a good automotive UI should be instead of actually being usable and nice. :)

Reducing wheel weight is great, but are you accounting for the increase in tire weight that comes with the higher profile tire, and that that weight is furthest from the center of mass?

Just comparing Michelin Pilot 4s' in 295/35/20 and 295/35/20, they are both exactly 30lbs. The 265/40/20 and 265/35/21 and both 28 lbs also. I'm not sure if it is because there are more metal threads in the lower profile tire or not. A 12lb lighter wheel is going to yield substantially better performance even if the tire ends up being 1 lb heavier.

Here is a good video demonstrating how much of a difference lighter wheels make.

I think the biggest limiting factor for the Plaid acceleration is grip. The custom aftermarket Signature wheels are lighter and wider. They allow for 295's up front and 325's in the rear. This will allow for my traction and better launches. I'm guessing sub 2 second 0-60 and 9.1 1/4 mile with these wheels and stickier/wider tires.

Last edited:
My account shows 'Order Agreement' but when I open, it's a 'Motor Vehicle Order Agreement.' However, I'm not sure if a Motor Vehicle Order Agreement is the same as a Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement. I don't have an EDD nor a VIN :(
They are different. Order agreement is after you order and should be there from the beginning. Purchase agreement is at the final stages and should contain your delivered vehicle specs - including VIN.

Last edited:
Yep, It was both March and April, actually :)

And yeah the UI on screens depends on how good you are at writing a UI. With a button, I can buy a switch/thing from a supplier know that it does X, but when you give some automakers unlimited screen real estate, you end up with the EQS, which is a car commercial's idea of what a good automotive UI should be instead of actually being usable and nice. :)
Awesome! I definitely remember when you went to go look at them! :)
IMHO, I don't mind the EQS that much, but with the screens, I agree completely. It's like they gave the decision to toddlers, and told them to put a big screen in their new car. And the toddlers went: "SCREEEEEEEEEEENNNSSSS!"😆

Just comparing Michelin Pilot 4s' in 295/35/20 and 295/35/20, they are both exactly 30lbs. The 265/40/20 and 265/35/21 and both 28 lbs also. I'm not sure if it is because there are more metal threads in the lower profile tire or not. A 12lb lighter wheel is going to yield substantially better performance even if the tire ends up being 1 lb heavier.

Here is a good video demonstrating how much of a difference lighter wheels make.

I think the biggest limiting factor for the Plaid acceleration is grip. The custom aftermarket Signature wheels are lighter and wider. They allow for 295's up front and 325's in the rear. This will allow for my traction and better launches. I'm guessing sub 2 second 0-60 and 9.1 1/4 mile with these wheels and stickier/wider tires.
Also consider the traction control time constant will be shorter with less rotational inertia. This is of little value with ICE where timing and throttle butterfly combined withe the core air pump are limiting factors in torque regulation. This is not the case w Tesla and thus the “bar code” nature of the black marks left by the old Ps.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I had some kind of plastic wrapped batting, maybe sound dampening material, get sucked up and cause a sound like a record player hiss at freeway speeds. When I opened the frunk it was visible in the cavity at the lower corner of the windshield. I pushed it back down and it was fine after. Got a service ticket open with no response yet.
I just checked and no such thing on mine. I generally wiggled various parts of the corner (the windshield, weather stripping, the small triangular window)...they all seem to be fairly secure. I will continue investigating.