Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
finally picking up my LR tomorrow morning 10am in Smithtown NY!

does anybody have a checklist to go over the vehicle at time of pick up? this is my first Tesla super excited!
To be honest, I would just look the car over just like any other car you have purchased before. If you see something that YOU do not like mention it to someone and make a service appointment right there on the lot. I’m very excited for you! But honestly. Just do the basic, does all the lights work inside and out, do all doors open freely, do you have all keys, which should 4 ( 2 key cards and 2 key fobs) is the car connected to your app. Look for major damage like big scratches, or cracked glass. If YOU are happy with your car then that’s all that matters. Again congratulations

HRE and TSW also have some nice wheels in 9.5” and 10.5”.
Also, great ‘performance’ all season tires at a good price are the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Have exact 19” sizes but only 245-40-20 and 275-35-20.

Those are great options too. HRE wheels are really nice. The flow forms are pretty reasonably priced. I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS is a good tire, but have never used them.

For those of you wondering about aftermarket tire sizes and wheels. I looked some up on tirerack and there are quite a few choices for summer tires and a few all season options too for 20' wheels. They are almost identical in diameter to the stock 21" tires. Depending on wheel setup, you should be able to knock of 11-12 lbs per corner over the 21" arachnids. 45ish lbs of unsprung weight.

265/40/20 fronts
295/35/20 rears

Pirelli Cinturato P7 all seasons
Michelin Pilot Sport all season 4's
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s summer tires

TS Sportlines will be the cheapest wheels with tires when they come out, but they are still flow forged and heavy.
Martian wheels will be the best bang for you buck and they are light and forged. The M3P guys seem to like them. There aren't too many styles and I'm not sure when they come out.
Signature wheels are probably the highest quality, forged, light and perfect offset, but they are pricier.
Reducing wheel weight is great, but are you accounting for the increase in tire weight that comes with the higher profile tire, and that that weight is furthest from the center of mass?

But you got yours at the event? Recently have there been any? I see dragtimes got carbon fiber but still havent seen a white/cf
Mine is white/wood, picked up a cpl of weeks ago.

Not scientific, but when I was at the shop who is doing my ppf next week, there were 2 refresh S there, both with white interior. While there are a lot of us here, tesla says they delivered almost 2000 of these things before EOQ, so our dataset is not good enough to derive trends very accurately. That said, we all know no one has received a car with 19s yet, and CF is still very rare...

I really really wish I had thought to save the teslacam video of my encounter with a new Taycan Turbo S owner yesterday. It still had temporary plates, and we had some open road.

It was friendly and all smiles, but I have to assume he was slightly disappointed to learn that the Porsche salesperson was wrong when they told him the Taycan would walk away from any Tesla above 40mph. :)

To be honest, I would just look the car over just like any other car you have purchased before. If you see something that YOU do not like mention it to someone and make a service appointment right there on the lot. I’m very excited for you! But honestly. Just do the basic, does all the lights work inside and out, do all doors open freely, do you have all keys, which should 4 ( 2 key cards and 2 key fobs) is the car connected to your app. Look for major damage like big scratches, or cracked glass. If YOU are happy with your car then that’s all that matters. Again congratulations
thank you!

I was just hoping if there are any known issues at delivery or some areas with known serious panel gap issues to keep an eye out for that.

So a tire twice as wide has no larger contact patch??? So why does the plaid have so much wider back tires if it does not help traction which has a direct correlation with contact patch size?

The main factors that determine the mechanical grip of a tire are vehicle weight, tire compound and road surface. If those remain constant, then putting a wider tire distributes the same weight over a larger surface meaning that you have less grip per square inch but more square inches (surface area). If you have a narrower tire then it has more weight per square inch but less weight per square inch (surface area). So the overall the sum of the mechanical grip is the same.

Aside from the physics of the mechanical grip there are other considerations too, like heat distribution, how long the tire will last, performance on wet, stability, the load rating of the tire etc etc which the width of the tire does have an effect on.

But in a controlled demo with perfect circumstances identical vehicles, tire compounds and surfaces would have the same mechanical grip regardless of width.

This is most easily visualized with road bikes super narrow tire with a tiny contact patch but still has grip even on wet surfaces. If a wider tire gave more grip and a narrower gave less, then all road cyclists would be dead.

thank you!

I was just hoping if there are any known issues at delivery or some areas with known serious panel gap issues to keep an eye out for that.
So far things seem to be decent on gaps. My rear hatch could be better, but I twisted some of the adjustment stops and verified it doesn't leak when sprayed with water, and I'm good to go.

Based on what I posted here a cpl of weeks ago, I would look for scratches, because I watched a car carrier drag brand new refresh cars right through a tree as he was leaving the tesla store. You have 24 hours to report these issues, so make sure you note them up front. Also never take delivery of a wet car, because water hides these issues. I asked my SA to have the car indoors when I arrived, and they were happy to oblige.

Oh, I hadn't yet mentioned here, because I forgot, but my car had an amazingly annoying rattle in the A pillar that got worse over a hundred mile stretch once I noticed. I was going crazy trying to find it while driving, only to discover at the next charge stop that the issue was the fender very lightly tapping/vibrating against another panel behind it. It isn't a gap or anything important aesthetically, and these two pieces probably usually touch but in my case had a -1mm gap and led to brief madness. I fixed it with black silicon and will never think about it again. :)

a wider tire distributes the same weight over a larger surface
This is simply incorrect unless the wider tire lets you use a lower pressure.

Because car tires have a rectangular cross section, whether that is true is more complicated than on a bicycle tire.

Generally speaking an increase in tire volume allows for a decrease in pressure.

Some weird stuff going on.. MVPA appeared but no VIN?
chrome_0hx1vTLoay.png

Does anyone have any tips on identifying source location of wind noise if I'm mostly driving solo and won't be able to get another person in the car for a while?

I am getting a high-pitched (almost whistling) wind noise when driving at 65-70mph in straight stretches of freeway. Does not occur in bends/curves or at any lower speeds. It is coming from somewhere in the front passenger side of things but since I am driving alone, I am unable to isolate. Any ideas?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
This is simply incorrect unless the wider tire lets you use a lower pressure.

Because car tires have a rectangular cross section, whether that is true is more complicated than on a bicycle tire.
hmm... so to get this straight, wearing my wife's stiletto's is likely to provide the same traction as wearing my extra wide boots! right?

Does anyone have any tips on identifying source location of wind noise if I'm mostly driving solo and won't be able to get another person in the car for a while?

I am getting a high-pitched (almost whistling) wind noise when driving at 65-70mph in straight stretches of freeway. Does not occur in bends/curves or at any lower speeds. It is coming from somewhere in the front passenger side of things but since I am driving alone, I am unable to isolate. Any ideas?
I had some kind of plastic wrapped batting, maybe sound dampening material, get sucked up and cause a sound like a record player hiss at freeway speeds. When I opened the frunk it was visible in the cavity at the lower corner of the windshield. I pushed it back down and it was fine after. Got a service ticket open with no response yet.

Mine is white/wood, picked up a cpl of weeks ago.

Not scientific, but when I was at the shop who is doing my ppf next week, there were 2 refresh S there, both with white interior. While there are a lot of us here, tesla says they delivered almost 2000 of these things before EOQ, so our dataset is not good enough to derive trends very accurately. That said, we all know no one has received a car with 19s yet, and CF is still very rare...

I imagine people will be receiving the 19s soon, or already have done so. This was in Renton, WA last night, if you missed the post.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 9.19.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 9.19.57 PM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 68
I really really wish I had thought to save the teslacam video of my encounter with a new Taycan Turbo S owner yesterday. It still had temporary plates, and we had some open road.

It was friendly and all smiles, but I have to assume he was slightly disappointed to learn that the Porsche salesperson was wrong when they told him the Taycan would walk away from any Tesla above 40mph. :)
Awesome 🤣