Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree - I think it makes a lot more sense and is likely a very simple software fix.
Now, I was thinking, since the 19" wheels are an issue, and they already replaced the steering WHEEL with a yoke, why not just replace the 19" wheels with 4 yokes? it would get the cars out faster, and they probably made a lot of them.
Since Tesla is reinventing the (steering) wheel anyway.... (okay, now you know it's quitting time)
There will be plenty on the market soon they can buy back

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Was curious to see how much used Model S are going for so I looked on EV-CPO. There are several 2018 P100Ds for $100k+. There's a 2018 P100D with 47k miles for $93k and a bunch 2017 P100Ds between $82,300 - $87,600. Those willing to pay $100k for a 3 year old P100D should probably consider a new refresh. I'm feeling pretty good about paying less than $20k more for a 2021 Plaid compared to those 2018s. No brainer

There will be plenty on the market soon they can buy back
Interestingly, the controls for almost everything use the same CAN bus messages as the 3/Y afaict, so you could mostly bolt a 3 steering wheel and stalks to this thing (which assumes a lot about whether you can actually attach enough of the column to have stalks, but just pretend you can). It would probably Just Work™ or require minor software changes.

Was curious to see how much used Model S are going for so I looked on EV-CPO. There are several 2018 P100Ds for $100k+. There's a 2018 P100D with 47k miles for $93k and a bunch 2017 P100Ds between $82,300 - $87,600. Those willing to pay $100k for a 3 year old P100D should probably consider a new refresh. I'm feeling pretty good about paying less than $20k more for a 2021 Plaid compared to those 2018s. No brainer
It’s not just Teslas, it’s all used cars. Still getting mails from bmw dealerships about them wanting to buy my car that I traded in when I bought my model 3 more than 2 years ago.
A friend bought a 2018 M3 LR for 43K back in April, similar car with exact same options, mileage and model year are listed on Tesla site for 56-61K

It’s not just Teslas, it’s all used cars. Still getting mails from bmw dealerships about them wanting to buy my car that I traded in when I bought my model 3 more than 2 years ago.
A friend bought a 2018 M3 LR for 43K back in April, similar car with exact same options, mileage and model year are listed on Tesla site for 56-61K
you're correct.. It's nuts at the moment.

Rolling down the window might tell you if it is the mirror itself somehow, but that would be odd. Do you have any blue painters tape, shipping tape can work but don’t press to hard onto the paint. Start at the forward edge of the passenger door/window interface, put the tape to seal the door to the body covering the gasket. You can cover everything to the b-pillar and if the noice disappears remove tape from the back working forward. Or you can put 12”-24” of tape on at a time and move it around. I’d start at the area around the mirror. Good luck
Intriguing suggestion to use painter's tape! I have the kind used to mask off for detailing cars, so I will use that. Thank you for the tip!

While my SA is not giving me the good news I decided to relocate wall connector and make tesla fame wall. 😂

Ignore that rental car 😂

Attachments

• E936C78A-F2DD-4369-A546-F92F9A8BC01F.jpeg
    E936C78A-F2DD-4369-A546-F92F9A8BC01F.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 69
  • C3A2775F-6C7A-4FD0-B82A-B545F49BCAC1.jpeg
    C3A2775F-6C7A-4FD0-B82A-B545F49BCAC1.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 70
Hi all,

I've been focused on the LR thread and picked up my car yesterday!

- Yoke is weird at first but, yup, I love it now. It's so comfortable and feels like a console controller.
- I have the Yoke worm. I love him. His name is wormy.
- Yoke stitching is solid. Doesn't appear to ripping
- It's a dream car. Everyone is right. It's worth the wait and I can't wait for ya'll to get yours!
- I'm in love. Can't wait to drive it more!

Does anyone have any accessories to recommend? Looking for cargo liners or anything else that are known to fit so far. :)

Thanks!
Congrats!!
My rubber mats ordered directly from Tesla were delivered an hour ago. I will try them this evening and report back. Other than that, I suggest a nice window tint and ppf/ceramic is upto you but highly recommended.

I ordered a Model Y Long Range. Its EDD is October too. If the Y comes in first, I don’t know what I’ll do with the S order. I like luxury and a smooth ride, but I also value easy ingress/egress. Do you think I should order the MX too as a compromise? A new MX order has an EDD of Jan/Feb 2022. I did enjoy my prior MX.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I have no hate - actually a bit of envy - there was NO WAY that I could afford a MSLR if I were a Millennial. Or, at least if I was on the younger age of the spectrum. If we have some youngins who can afford the MSLR (or even Plaids?) - all the more power to you!
I just hope I don't drop my Geritol (plus iron, of course) if I ever launch my hypothetical MSLR.

Affording it is a bit easier when you don't have a house payment 😅 Now, those, are out of the reach of us millennials...at least we'll always have our Zillow After Dark 😂

Narrow tires can get down thru 6-8” of snow instead of “snowplaining” . Wide tires are good on bare ice , especially if you have ice capable tires. Of course narrow tires decrease the contact patch that increases pressure on the tire surface that will increase bite so in theory narrow tires could help on ice also but I have always felt wide is good for ice. Not much is without complicated thinking.

So a tire twice as wide has no larger contact patch??? So why does the plaid have so much wider back tires if it does not help traction which has a direct correlation with contact patch size?

There are other dynamics related to tire width but it's simple physics with respect to contact patch size, pressure, and load.

Assuming the tires run at the same pressure the contract patch will be shorter and wider on wider tires but it has to be the same total area.

An absurd amount of attention has been given to this dynamic with road bike tires and how different widths affect rolling resistance, especially in real world conditions.

The main factors that determine the mechanical grip of a tire are vehicle weight, tire compound and road surface. If those remain constant, then putting a wider tire distributes the same weight over a larger surface meaning that you have less grip per square inch but more square inches (surface area). If you have a narrower tire then it has more weight per square inch but less weight per square inch (surface area). So the overall the sum of the mechanical grip is the same.

Aside from the physics of the mechanical grip there are other considerations too, like heat distribution, how long the tire will last, performance on wet, stability, the load rating of the tire etc etc which the width of the tire does have an effect on.

But in a controlled demo with perfect circumstances identical vehicles, tire compounds and surfaces would have the same mechanical grip regardless of width.

This is most easily visualized with road bikes super narrow tire with a tiny contact patch but still has grip even on wet surfaces. If a wider tire gave more grip and a narrower gave less, then all road cyclists would be dead.

Does anyone have any tips on identifying source location of wind noise if I'm mostly driving solo and won't be able to get another person in the car for a while?

I am getting a high-pitched (almost whistling) wind noise when driving at 65-70mph in straight stretches of freeway. Does not occur in bends/curves or at any lower speeds. It is coming from somewhere in the front passenger side of things but since I am driving alone, I am unable to isolate. Any ideas?

hmm... so to get this straight, wearing my wife's stiletto's is likely to provide the same traction as wearing my extra wide boots! right?

OH! That explains why you came on here and started whining one week after your order, while the rest of us know what true suffering is. Got it!
Not sure what’s more immature, whining about a company stating you’ll get a vehicle in June, a week for someone to even reach out to you after placing your order to only then tell you “maybe October”……… or……. Thinking you have some sort of superiority due to a much longer suffering.

I ordered a Model Y Long Range. It’s EDD is October too. If the Y comes in first, I don’t know what I’ll do with the S order. I like luxury and a smooth ride, but I also value easy ingress/egress. Do you think I should order the MX too as a compromise? A new MX order has an EDD of Jan/Feb 2022. I did enjoy my prior MX.

Any suggestions?
If you can wait for the Model S LR, then I suggest waiting for it. I had a Model Y Perf on order which I ended up cancelling in favor of the Model S.
My sister has a new Model Y LR and there's absolutely no comparison.
The S is in a different league with better quality interior, acceleration and ride quality. The ride quality on the Y is on the rougher side.