Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shifted again. This has been my journey since April:

Blank
August
Blank
August
Blank
August
July 28-Aug 11
Blank
August
July 31-Aug 12
August
Aug 4-Aug 17
Aug 5-Aug 18
Aug 6-Aug 17
Aug 7-Aug 17
Aug 8-Aug 17
Aug 9-Aug 17
Aug 10-Aug 17
Aug 11-Aug 19
Aug 12-Aug 21
this and some of the other posts are actually giving me hope.
Let's say when you ordered they logistically slotted or estimated your build date to be mid or even July (which in my mind would be the only way they could hit a July 28 possible delivery)
then other than the blanks, it's mostly been in a range with august 11 intended as your outside position, but then it become more of the median until that shifted by only 10 days. I'm saying only - that's a 10 day shift over a 4 month period which I think in light of: 1) delayed Plaid launch 2) chip and supply issues and 3) that one week hold - this looks to me like to get it to you by august 21, they have to build early august which would be on the order of a month delayed from the original intended build (which was given to you before they delivered a single car)
Now the hope part - despite new orders being so pushed out, this order is mostly circling the August 11 to 21 drain - sure, there can be additional delays, but it seems to me you're actually in queue.
of course it's Tesla, and what the monkey giveth, the monkey taketh away - but I'd feel fairly optimistic you'll barely be visiting this thread (at least with your MS) by end of August :)

For someone who has narrowed timeframe and keep being pushed, you're already soft matched and please don't worry. You'll see VIN soon.

I've been pushed over 10 days and finally received VIN and turns out the built date was around the date those timeframe has started.

I know you're in pain but just a little bit moment... and you'll see VIN.

good luck

Dear Tesla,

Please could you explain to me what this means: Estimated Delivery: July 31 - August 07

Why do you tease me so? Why? What did I do to deserve this? Without a VIN, why do you even think July 31 is a possibility? Why?

Sincerely,

Me
I think you need to compose a new Tesla poem. We had a great one already, about a thousand pages ago!

Let's say when you ordered they logistically slotted or estimated your build date to be mid or even July (which in my mind would be the only way they could hit a July 28 possible delivery)
then other than the blanks, it's mostly been in a range with august 11 intended as your outside position, but then it become more of the median until that shifted by only 10 days. I'm saying only - that's a 10 day shift over a 4 month period which I think in light of: 1) delayed Plaid launch 2) chip and supply issues and 3) that one week hold - this looks to me like to get it to you by august 21, they have to build early august which would be on the order of a month delayed from the original intended build (which was given to you before they delivered a single car)
Now the hope part - despite new orders being so pushed out, this order is mostly circling the August 11 to 21 drain - sure, there can be additional delays, but it seems to me you're actually in queue.
of course it's Tesla, and what the monkey giveth, the monkey taketh away - but I'd feel fairly optimistic you'll barely be visiting this thread (at least with your MS) by end of August :)

Mine just went from July 31-August 7, to August 1-August 8. So it begins, the slow…descent into madness…

For someone who has narrowed timeframe and keep being pushed, you're already soft matched and please don't worry. You'll see VIN soon.

I've been pushed over 10 days and finally received VIN and turns out the built date was around the date those timeframe has started.

I know you're in pain but just a little bit moment... and you'll see VIN.

good luck
I'm speculating:
1) EDD that comes and goes - you were slotted or put in queue - let's call that a soft match
2) EDD with a date range - car has started build, or logistically they're predicting the range of delivery and if the build didn't start, it's about to. Possible VIN assignment or VIN assignment very shortly.
3) EDD with VIN - VIN assignment (duh) and date range - transit, inspections, software validation, maybe quick repair?
4) Range being pushed out, hopefully narrowed - car in transit
4) Range shot to crap - car may have failed an inspection or been damaged, and then an attempt is made to find another nearby.

I did the math once - NOT counting Plaid vs. LR I think there were about 30 permutations - I didn't recompute so that may have been with Plaid vs. LR - example - LR - Red with with white interior, Red with black, Red with cream - then 19" or 21" should be 6 permutations. If we multiple the LR exterior color choices by interior color choices we get our value - i think 15 - then wheel choices, so 30 permutations. Plaid - same thing, but add the wood vs. carbon fiber and i don't remember if dark interior is a third choice - i think not - so then Plaid could have 60 permutations.
There are no options other than fsd which I didn't count, as I think that can be an on the fly OTA thing and not a build change - so for the LR, if there are 30 possible configurations, they just have to find the next one on the list in your area.
some will be more common, and therefore quicker to replace
I THINK this makes sense.
In my personal case, I had September for a while, then it went away. I see two paths - 1) I was soft slotted, and as production gets closer I'll get an EDD again, or 2) I was soft slotted, and now resources are short, so I'm back in line waiting for a match (19" and white interior were not my matching friends)
And that friends, is what you type when your mind is shot to hell based on your car order, and you'd rather read and post than work.

I'm speculating:
1) EDD that comes and goes - you were slotted or put in queue - let's call that a soft match
2) EDD with a date range - car has started build, or logistically they're predicting the range of delivery and if the build didn't start, it's about to. Possible VIN assignment or VIN assignment very shortly.
3) EDD with VIN - VIN assignment (duh) and date range - transit, inspections, software validation, maybe quick repair?
4) Range being pushed out, hopefully narrowed - car in transit
4) Range shot to crap - car may have failed an inspection or been damaged, and then an attempt is made to find another nearby.

I did the math once - NOT counting Plaid vs. LR I think there were about 30 permutations - I didn't recompute so that may have been with Plaid vs. LR - example - LR - Red with with white interior, Red with black, Red with cream - then 19" or 21" should be 6 permutations. If we multiple the LR exterior color choices by interior color choices we get our value - i think 15 - then wheel choices, so 30 permutations. Plaid - same thing, but add the wood vs. carbon fiber and i don't remember if dark interior is a third choice - i think not - so then Plaid could have 60 permutations.
There are no options other than fsd which I didn't count, as I think that can be an on the fly OTA thing and not a build change - so for the LR, if there are 30 possible configurations, they just have to find the next one on the list in your area.
some will be more common, and therefore quicker to replace
I THINK this makes sense.
In my personal case, I had September for a while, then it went away. I see two paths - 1) I was soft slotted, and as production gets closer I'll get an EDD again, or 2) I was soft slotted, and now resources are short, so I'm back in line waiting for a match (19" and white interior were not my matching friends)
And that friends, is what you type when your mind is shot to hell based on your car order, and you'd rather read and post than work.
Your optimism is admirable, however, not a single 19 has been delivered and there is not a single indication they are or will be in production as of now. And nobody on this forum has been able to get even a confirmation of 19s in production from their contacts. I do not see things changing anytime soon. All these delivery dates juggling is pure bs on Tesla's part and most everyone here knows it. May be we will get an update on 19s in September but as of now I definitely see it as a serious issue with 19s either due to car's performance not being on par with 21s or there is a parts issue that Tesla is not acknowledging. Proper communication is their kryptonite and I wish they'd be more upfront about it but at this point we can only wait and speculate.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Grab the LR. Get used to the car and it's power. Then take delivery of the Plaid and do a proper back to back write up. I suspect you will get every penny back out of the LR when you are done with it depending on how many years it takes Tesla to make good on the Plaid delivery.

It puts you in a car. Makes the Plaid wait tolerable and lets you provide a service to all the "this is better than that" crowd.

Oh, and if you find that the LR is good enough for you, well, you will just have proved all those LR lovers were right. I'll trade cars with you so we can both see how the other drives :)
I am in the opposite situation. Ordered a LR earlier this month but status continues to be remain blank. Who knows whether Sep-Oct-Nov. So I ordered a Plaid this week and it continues to show delivery between Aug 12 - Aug 20. Knowing most of the deliveries have been Plaid, Plaid will come sooner than LR ordered.

My dilemma is that should I continue to wait for LR and take ownership of the Plaid in a few weeks.

I am in the opposite situation. Ordered a LR earlier this month but status continues to be remain blank. Who knows whether Sep-Oct-Nov. So I ordered a Plaid this week and it continues to show delivery between Aug 12 - Aug 20. Knowing most of the deliveries have been Plaid, Plaid will come sooner than LR ordered.

My dilemma is that should I continue to wait for LR and take ownership of the Plaid in a few weeks.
I guess the same advice applies, if you can swing the funds. Get both and resell one, plus do a sweet review of both side by side.

I can't imagine what people had to go through that have been ordering cars from Tesla back in 2012. I hope they are still alive and did not break mentally.
Better
and worse

the better part is we now know the tech is good and the product is supported. Back then it was a $100k crapp shoot.
Worse in that Tesla is getting much better at insulating management from the customers response to their decisions. The SAs call it “customer facing” and management is not so you can not talk to them. In the ole days, you could actually get upper management on the phone. Fat chance now.

I guess the same advice applies, if you can swing the funds. Get both and resell one, plus do a sweet review of both side by side.
I was thinking about that as Used Car market these days is insane plus 2021 MS is no where to be found. Lot of money to get tied up if one can do it but I think you can make profit on the LR and keep the Plaid. 😁

That is harder. What are Va taxes like and were you a pre-$10k increase order as these will affect your ability to get out of the plaid if you wanted to?

I plan to hang around here until everyone who ordered a car before me gets one. That is of course assuming I am not the last one to get one. 🤣