Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Plaid+ right after it was available last year. Then in May of this year I got a call from a 'loyalty advisor' at Tesla telling me that if I wanted to convert it to a Plaid order I'd have priority and would likely get one in June. I did this around May 22. The way it was done cancelled my original order, and I ended up with a RN in the 1150 range rather than the earlier one. He said that a note about my earlier one was placed in the file, and I'd keep the 8k FSD price I had.
sounds familiar

I do not have a VIN yet though <pauses to go check account page… nope still blank>. Maybe they are working their way across the south….

True, we don't know.

But perhaps in the quest for ever higher profits and market valuation, Tesla has driven away many key engineering leaders who made the M3 and MY successful.

Now they are needed more than ever for plaid and CT, small chance they will be replaced easily.
Lets be open: it wasnt "Tesla", that drove them away. Based on the MANY accounts in the new book, it was one specific person who would make it his business to drive away persons who challenged things...if we are to believe the book, the same person initially demanded that the Model Y be made with no steering wheel at all...

It hasn't been easy. It's been a long 10 days. I've just kept my chin up, been brave and put one foot in front of the other. Seriously though I can't even imagine my emotional state if the shoe were on the other foot.

I do have a question for everyone. I get people wanting white and carbon fiber and went back and forth on that myself. I'm a bit curious about this preference for 19 in wheels given how beautiful the 21s are.

Is this because people are very sensitive to range? Or, just don't see the value in the forged 21s? Or, plan on spending big money upgrading to HRE or something exotic?

I ordered 19s because the Tesla 21s are not forged. I plan on selling the 19s once my car is delivered. I figure the sale of the 19s and $4500 savings on Tesla's 21s will go a long way toward paying for the forged 21s I already ordered from Signature Wheel. I am fairly confident the Signature Wheel order will arrive before my Model S.

Lets be open: it wasnt "Tesla", that drove them away. Based on the MANY accounts in the new book, it was one specific person who would make it his business to drive away persons who challenged things...if we are to believe the book, the same person initially demanded that the Model Y be made with no steering wheel at all...
Yes, to be more accurate, Elon. But the Tesla board is complicit in allowing his actions to continue.

For a car of this caliber, how could red not be a common option?

For a make most likely be sold in the SW USA, how could white not be a common option?

Getting tired of making excuses for Tesla.
This is no excuse nor is it intended to be interpreted that way. I am thinking they built a significant amount of the lower cost options or what they thought was more popular as they figured more would be purchasing that way.

This thought process does not reconcile the 19" wheels. I expect that they might have thought the hub caps were ugly enough that everyone would go 21s. OR they just mega dropped the ball on the wheels.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Congrats. When did you get your VIN assigned and is this delivery date within the window when VIN got assigned. I ask because VIN assignment for me last Friday. Waiting for delivery scheduling. Thanks.

Thanks. Really excited.
VIN assigned the second week of July. Delivery date was initially the July 25th, then the 30th. That is when the daily march forward a day began. That stopped a week ago and locked in on the 7th through the 13th. Car arrives in Ft Myers Tuesday the 10th in the morning. I take delivery after the two day inspection and testing process.

Yes, to be more accurate, Elon. But the Tesla board is complicit in allowing his actions to continue.
I know that many people love to diss on Elon, but please consider this:
If Elon wasn't in the position he was, Tesla wouldn't be here because the founders would've run it into the ground, we would never have had the P85D, the P90D, the P100D and the Plaid, the Model X with it's awesome doors, the dealership-less buying experience, Autopilot, and many other things we consumers may never know or appreciate.
His childlike manners, and willingness to actually try new things, is actually why Tesla is where it is today, and not pulling the same crap that other legacy auto-makers love to do.
I may get destroyed for this, but I think that it's important to remember that history shows many people that actually change the world, or how it operates, are often not appreciated while they are living, and only long after.
I think @omarsultan puts it best: "You put in a conventional CEO, you get conventional results."

So I'm trying to update my insurance with Progressive - and the VIN can't be found. Any recent delivery takers had the same problem? A bit scary...
I checked with Allstate, re increased costs, and it will cost $500/six months more to insure the Plaid than it does my boosted 3. An LR would cost $248 more.

I checked with Allstate, re increased costs, and it will cost $500/six months more to insure the Plaid than it does my boosted 3. An LR would cost $248 more.

Progressive has quoted me $21 extra per 6 months ($501 total) over my Model 3 Performance. But they're having trouble finding my VIN! It worked just fine with my friend's Plaid VIN. Just crazy...

Congrats. When did you get your VIN assigned and is this delivery date within the window when VIN got assigned. I ask because VIN assignment for me last Friday. Waiting for delivery scheduling. Thanks.
With a VIN, the delivery center or sales advisor should be able to ping the car, give you a location and give you an estimated date to pickup. If it is getting shipped to Virginia, that might be why it is not open for delivery window yet. Do you have an estimated date range?

You do get better range with the 19". Ride quality is virtually on par with both, 21" has better acceleration and by far better handling, and obviously better looks. As someone who had both stock 19" and arachnid setup, switching out to 21" was like getting a new car, better in every way. Everyone who disagrees is trying to justinfy not spending the extra $...
As someone who had stock 19's and then purchased the previous arachnids for his 2017 S, I can disagree that the 21's were "better in every way". On the 19's, the S was quieter (much less road noise on the Good year tourings vs the Pilot Sports), smoother (taller tire sidewalls = more cushion), and the car had more range. But the silver 21" Arachnids did look great, to me.

I opted to go with 19's for the refresh, not due to the cost of the 21" new arachnids, but because 1)I personally didnt want black wheels 2)The new 21" Arachnids are cast and not forged. (Previous silver Arachnids were forged)

So, I'll take the $4500 savings, and get the 21" aftermarket forged wheels that I want, AND still have the 19's with all season tires to use in Virginia's (mild) winters.

For those that have done ppf on an S recently... I'm planning on the full front and lower side package. Any idea on a fair price? I'm getting 2200-2500 quotes. Higher than I've seen for other cars including 3

I got quoted $4200 for full body (didn't get only full frontal quote). I ended up not going for it and doing ceramic only for now - still debating a matte wrap at some point. $2200-2500 seems fair for full frontal, but I dunno if others had different experience.

So I'm trying to update my insurance with Progressive - and the VIN can't be found. Any recent delivery takers had the same problem? A bit scary...
I had a similar issue with State Farm. VIN didn't show up in their system until the day before I took delivery (6/26 delivery). My agent said they can do an "insured letter" for delivery (don't know if Tesla would have accepted) just in case, but I never needed it.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I know that many people love to diss on Elon, but please consider this:
If Elon wasn't in the position he was, Tesla wouldn't be here because the founders would've run it into the ground, we would never have had the P85D, the P90D, the P100D and the Plaid, the Model X with it's awesome doors, the dealership-less buying experience, Autopilot, and many other things we consumers may never know or appreciate.
His childlike manners, and willingness to actually try new things, is actually why Tesla is where it is today, and not pulling the same crap that other legacy auto-makers love to do.
I may get destroyed for this, but I think that it's important to remember that history shows many people that actually change the world, or how it operates, are often not appreciated while they are living, and only long after.
I think @omarsultan puts it best: "You put in a conventional CEO, you get conventional results."

All true.

But that was then, this is now.

Tesla is current failing to perform on many levels.

Who would argue a Gwen Shotwell clone as COO would not be an improvement?