Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It hasn't been easy. It's been a long 10 days. I've just kept my chin up, been brave and put one foot in front of the other. Seriously though I can't even imagine my emotional state if the shoe were on the other foot.

I do have a question for everyone. I get people wanting white and carbon fiber and went back and forth on that myself. I'm a bit curious about this preference for 19 in wheels given how beautiful the 21s are.

Is this because people are very sensitive to range? Or, just don't see the value in the forged 21s? Or, plan on spending big money upgrading to HRE or something exotic?
I had a MS P85 with 21's and broke 3 wheels over basic potholes. I don't live in a bad area and it was dumb luck, but WTH! Heavy cars with low profile tires make for fragile wheels and a bumpy ride. I switched to 19 and the ride was incredibly smoother, and never broke a wheel. The added range makes it a no brainer for me. Yes 21's are gorgeous, but that is not enough for me.

I had a MS P85 with 21's and broke 3 wheels over basic potholes. I don't live in a bad area and it was dumb luck, but WTH! Heavy cars with low profile tires make for fragile wheels and a bumpy ride. I switched to 19 and the ride was incredibly smoother, and never broke a wheel. The added range makes it a no brainer for me. Yes 21's are gorgeous, but that is not enough for me.
Yeah. Tesla would have to pay me at least $10k to switch to 21s. I really don’t care what the wheels look like. I am not a rapper. What the hell? They are wheels and they are supposed to be functional.

Yeah. Tesla would have to pay me at least $10k to switch to 21s. I really don’t care what the wheels look like. I am not a rapper. What the hell? They are wheels and they are supposed to be functional.

But they are functional! Mostly because the rubber on them is excellent, to be fair, and they do look amazing, which is... a.... uh... function of something, right?! Something is going on with the 19" deliveries, and I don't believe for a second it's because it's prioritizing the 21s over the 19s. While that absolutely makes financial sense to do so, - some of these 19"-equipped cars are literally sitting on lots, doing nothing, because Tesla won't deliver them. It's just plain weird...

Yes, 19s (see signature info). I ordered a Plaid+ right after it was available last year. Then in May of this year I got a call from a 'loyalty advisor' at Tesla telling me that if I wanted to convert it to a Plaid order I'd have priority and would likely get one in June. I did this around May 22. The way it was done cancelled my original order, and I ended up with a RN in the 1150 range rather than the earlier one. He said that a note about my earlier one was placed in the file, and I'd keep the 8k FSD price I had. I happened to order MSM 19" Cream with wood, so I got part of the lottery right(no white or CF), but missed part of it (the 19s). No delivery date estimate or vin until just now. I've had some interactions via email with the loyalty advisor, and he has been saying I should still have the original RN priority, but that the 19s have been the delay. I'd feel better about this narrative being of some use if I had the car, but until I do, take it as a work in progress.
Is it beginning to happen?! This is incredibly reassuring for me as well since I have Blue Plaid/19/CF/Cream with an EDD now shrunk to a 7 day window.
Also just drove from LA to SF fir vacation and saw 4 Tesla delivery trucks headed to LA. Not all S's, but many!
Screenshot_20210805-092800_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Maybe they are and are just suffering from poor new product volume production planning AND execution... We really don't know what the limiting factor(s) is(are)...

True, we don't know.

But perhaps in the quest for ever higher profits and market valuation, Tesla has driven away many key engineering leaders who made the M3 and MY successful.

Now they are needed more than ever for plaid and CT, small chance they will be replaced easily.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
But they are functional! Mostly because the rubber on them is excellent, to be fair, and they do look amazing, which is... a.... uh... function of something, right?! Something is going on with the 19" deliveries, and I don't believe for a second it's because it's prioritizing the 21s over the 19s. While that absolutely makes financial sense to do so, - some of these 19"-equipped cars are literally sitting on lots, doing nothing, because Tesla won't deliver them. It's just plain weird...
Like I was saying to @umair239 last night, I believe that 19" deliveries will be starting quite soon, most likely this month. Originally, there definitely seems to have been an issue with the wheels. @mmanner looks like he is currently estimated at the middle of this month, and he has a VIN too.
Edit: As I was saying this @afarkas2222 just chimed in with his great news!

You do get better range with the 19". Ride quality is virtually on par with both, 21" has better acceleration and by far better handling, and obviously better looks. As someone who had both stock 19" and arachnid setup, switching out to 21" was like getting a new car, better in every way. Everyone who disagrees is trying to justinfy not spending the extra $...

The ride quality is not the same, science explains that. Less tire/air and more wheel. 21" wheels are heavier and do not have faster acceleration and has worse range. That's why drag cars run small light wheels. I think 20" wheels are a good compromise and I plan on getting a nice set of forged aftermarket 20's. I don't think people are trying to justify not spending more $$. Many people are just making more informed purchases. I would not spend $4500 on heavy average looking cast wheels. You can get a set of forged signature wheels that are lighter, strong and look 10 times better for almost the same price.

YES!!! Delivery day is scheduled!!! I hope to be like @Hayseed_MS racking up the miles and enjoying the vehicle while still dropping in occasionally to say hi to the crew that we went through this whole process.!! LOL. Seven months for me. There are a lot of you that are longer. I pray that your day comes soon!!

View attachment 692479
Congrats. When did you get your VIN assigned and is this delivery date within the window when VIN got assigned. I ask because VIN assignment for me last Friday. Waiting for delivery scheduling. Thanks.

Like I was saying to @umair239 last night, I believe that 19" deliveries will be starting quite soon, most likely this month. Originally, there definitely seems to have been an issue with the wheels. @mmanner looks like he is currently estimated at the middle of this month, and he has a VIN too.
Edit: As I was saying this @afarkas2222 just chimed in with his great news!

Yep, and maybe - like the "stop sale" (unofficially) on the Plaids a week or two back, maybe we'll never know the reason for the 19" holdup.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid