Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*Please head through this door and sit in that chair. Professional help is on the way.*
732B3D92-8F43-4E31-BDF3-09D330281258.gif

Are the carbon wrapped motors in the LR as well or only Plaid?
That is something we aren't exactly sure about..... On one hand, it would make almost no sense to have carbon-wrapped rotors on a car that has quite different gearing on both axles vs. the Plaid, which has the same ratio front and back. On the other hand, the LR seems to be holding power all the way through the quarter mile, so that may be the case then. I guess if you think about it, maybe the different gearing doesn't really end up mattering as much if both motors can make their max power and hold it in the end....

Alright ya mad folk, I’ve caught up on the 40+ pages y’all added while I was busy picking up my Plaid!

The delivery went super smooth, the car was sitting outside in the pickup lot, I did a quick once over and had already completed all payment/paperwork online, so signed a couple DMV papers and was off!

D8EF9F43-988F-40A8-945A-6C7A6EF96BCE.jpeg

Whiplash! I still bang my head every time I floor it with this thing. Eventually I’ll learn or go mad, but the acceleration is such a pleasant thing to have at your disposal. Kind of like having a Lion as a pet because you like to stroke its mane.

Missed grabbing the yoke several times and also need to strengthen different muscles to make it easier and more natural, but overall it’s a cool gimmick.

Ride comfort and noise is great. Only have 70 miles on the car with how busy things have been, but it also got the front plate holder removed and tinted today (70% windshield, 50% front windows, 35% rear windows) and taken out for photos:

A7D9A7B0-EEAE-47BD-8889-57FE92C2FD1F.jpeg

DEA91DC9-142D-4ADC-AEF0-693F6DBDF717.jpeg

120EB42C-0507-44B1-A252-EF610CDF3E96.jpeg

1646A423-85D7-470F-A3E8-7F62EEECDDED.jpeg

It feels great to know the car is in the garage and super happy to drive it every time I do.

For my flock (you know who you are 🦚), the sad news is that this car is the exact opposite of peacocking. It’s refined, sophisticated, impressive, and—near as makes no difference—unassuming. No one knows what it’s capable of until you hit the pedal…and then, whiplash 😉

Love the car! Love seeing 19” VINs in the thread! Love/hate @Leodoc growing his club membership! And, love @Maximus023 and @2021plaid checking in on the delivery!

Question for those who got their LR and Plaid already. How many key jobs you got?
If you are asking about people keying my car, zero.
If you are asking about entry devices, two cards and two keys (same car looking fobs but with blacked out accents instead of light colored - which is helpful if you have other Ms in the house).

The car can only be "married" or paired with four entry devices at a time. My SC was thoughtful enough to pair both keys and only one card with the car. This way I could pair my phone as a key once the car appeared on the app. I then had to take all fobs and my phone away from the car, let it lock and shut down then approach with only the cards to identify which of the two cards was paired with the car. I then put the paired card in my wallet as a back up and have been using only my phone for the last week. This is a welcome change from my 2015 MS as I no longer have close calls with washing my key fobs :)

Alright ya mad folk, I’ve caught up on the 40+ pages y’all added while I was busy picking up my Plaid!

The delivery went super smooth, the car was sitting outside in the pickup lot, I did a quick once over and had already completed all payment/paperwork online, so signed a couple DMV papers and was off!

View attachment 692846

Whiplash! I still bang my head every time I floor it with this thing. Eventually I’ll learn or go mad, but the acceleration is such a pleasant thing to have at your disposal. Kind of like having a Lion as a pet because you like to stroke its mane.

Missed grabbing the yoke several times and also need to strengthen different muscles to make it easier and more natural, but overall it’s a cool gimmick.

Ride comfort and noise is great. Only have 70 miles on the car with how busy things have been, but it also got the front plate holder removed and tinted today (70% windshield, 50% front windows, 35% rear windows) and taken out for photos:

View attachment 692847
View attachment 692848
View attachment 692849
View attachment 692850

It feels great to know the car is in the garage and super happy to drive it every time I do.

For my flock (you know who you are 🦚), the sad news is that this car is the exact opposite of peacocking. It’s refined, sophisticated, impressive, and—near as makes no difference—unassuming. No one knows what it’s capable of until you hit the pedal…and then, whiplash 😉

Love the car! Love seeing 19” VINs in the thread! Love/hate @Leodoc growing his club membership! And, love @Maximus023 and @2021plaid checking in on the delivery!
What a beauty! Glad everything went well and that it lives up to the hype. Can’t wait to join you in the red plaid club. Now you can enjoy it on that road trip you lucky sob 😂

Yes and. Bring'em both.

Some facts about renewables presented in this TED talk are not put in the same context as the devastating effects of fossil fuels.

Do renewables have some negative impact on the environment? Sure, any human activity does. But it's FAR less impactful than continuing to burn fossil fuels.

The best solution would be to phase out all fossil fuels (including "natural" gas) ASAP, replace the base load with as much nuclear as possible, and complement with solar+wind+storage.

Pollution and carbon emissions must stop for us to have any chance of a future on this planet. Otherwise, hurricanes/floods/droughts/freezing events/fires/sea level rises/etc. will continue to get more intense and extreme. Then it's game over for humans (and most life on earth).
There is a cart and horse conundrum with this kind of thing. Generation is not the primary problem. Storage is. Current ramp toward everyone generating makes the entire fossil fuel backbone even more inefficient. For the last 15 years, storage methods should have come with heavy incentives/subsidies and partially usable by the utility providers.

There is a tendency for folks to apply solutions that do not solve the actual problems but feel good. Had the storage issue been resolved early, renewable energy would be a complete no-brainer. Instead, California has rolling brown-outs because they cannot cover peak power requirements. This is even with tons of solar and wind. Funny thing, solar and wind don't seem to have a peak when consumption is at a peak. Weird, huh?

Update on my end: I've been able to speak to 3 different people at Tesla (including my contact) this week, and they're basically telling me the same thing:
  • 19" wheels have finally entered production and are starting to ship
  • Estimated delivery dates will not necessarily appear before a VIN is assigned, which is done as vehicles exit production
  • Once a VIN is assigned, things move very fast (especially being in the Bay Area and picking up at the factory)
  • There are internal systems in which they can check a projected delivery range for a given reservation
On that last one, I got slightly different ranges from every person:
  1. Mid-August to mid-September
  2. September
  3. Mid-August to October
All three folks were very careful not to divulge more information than that, and kept repeating that these are estimates that can change.

So I haven't learned that much, but at least there seems to be forward motion with 19s, which we've seen here already.

I'm fully expecting to remain with a blank EDD until I get a notification that a VIN has been assigned to my order, at which point it will be mad rush to get everything ready for delivery.
I fully expect to go from blank EDD since June to Vin with nothing in between in the next 1-6 weeks... but that's quite a range, lol.