Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My insurance through State Farm will be $1,200 per year for the MSLR. We have cars, an umbrella and jewelry policies with them.
My annual quote from AAA just for the Tesla is $2771. I may be switching companies but i will have figure out how to handle the umbrella, which I am required to carry for work (and which i think is a really good idea anyway.).

As you can guess, AAA hates Tesla owners almost as much as @Leodoc hates me and my cats.

My annual quote from AAA just for the Tesla is $2771. I may be switching companies but i will have figure out how to handle the umbrella, which I am required to carry for work (and which i think is a really good idea anyway.).

As you can guess, AAA hates Tesla owners almost as much as @Leodoc hates me and my cats.

That's insanity. For my Plaid for myself/wife in Seattle (high risk) it's just over $1k for the year, with rental coverage, great limits etc.. through Progressive. $2771 is daylight robbery.

I hear Tesla is looking for web coders. If you know a guy. Or robot.
ShadyUncomfortableGalapagosmockingbird-size_restricted.gif

Can they change a VIN after you get it? We had a personalized plate that we'd like to use on our next car. Don't want to pay for it and find Tesla changed the number.
Yes, it happens. For a number of reasons, from damaged during transit to the car being mis-routed so they assign it to someone where it ended up instead of shipping it again. (I don't think it happens a lot, but I have seen it happen. Even going as far as someone having to have their loan un-done and re-apply for financing.)

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
So, been doing more digging on insurance rates and learned something about Progressive, after more than an hour on the phone with them.

In summary:

1. Their auto rates are much much cheaper than Allstate, but there is a catch....
2. Catch #1, if you also need Homeowners, they shop that out to "HomeSite;" my rate quote was more than twice (yes, >2X) my Allstate actual cost
3. Catch #2, if you also need an Umbrella policy, they shop that out as well; my rate with their "ASI Affiliate" was 30% higher than Allstate
4. Catch #3, if you don't buy #2 and #3, the cost of #1 shoots up through the roof!

My advice: Trust no one's "online tools," unless you want surprises later. This is why I called and spend time working through the details. When I questioned the Progressive practice (low-ball auto and make it up on the other policies), the agent said, "Yes, this isn't the first time I've heard that comment". At that point, the Progressive agent put away that "pricing scanner," that you see in the ads, and thanked me for my time (he knew this wasn't going anywhere). YMMV.
Had same happen with progressive, and homesite lowballs home coverage. Progressive would also not ensure our F150 hybrid for some reason.

mended up going with GEICO for all, cheaper for us and we left Progressive we were with 10 years. GEICO also quote a new MS and it was still decent too.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid