Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seeking advice from the community, especially from experienced folks such as @boonedocks @jebinc @sflgator @kgoroway. I'm very interested in applying the ceramic polish and bedmaker treatment of the full body every few months because I will treat my plaid like my 4th child. But also concerned about chip accumulation, which the ceramic polish won't resist. PPF appears a compelling option, but is there a benefit to completing a ceramic polish coat series ahead of PPF? Does PPF bead water like wax? What are the proper clean and care procedures for PPF? I will ask my local PPF shop, which is said by my BMW tuner to do very high quality work, but I'd like some intel from the community for comparison. Thanks in advance
@impastu Ceramic should go on after PPF, otherwise PPF adhesion could be a problem. No more than three coats of Ceramic; clay bar first. I put 3 coats on my 2019 M3+ have only used beadmaker since. Do not put ceramic on every four months. Maybe, if you must, add a coat every 12-24 months. PPF needs to be waxed, ceramic coated, etc. to shine. It's duller than paint. Ceramic coating should be treated like any other sealant/wax. After two washes, I quickly reapply Beadmaker. Nothing special. Note: I didn't have PPF put on either my 3 or Plaid, but did invest in, and installed, mud flaps ASAP.

This is the kind of elitist crap that makes me not want to continue on these forums. It's a recurring theme here. People with enough disposable income to just pay with cash on a $100k+ car disapprovingly judging those who cannot do the same. I was not joking. I don't know if I can come up with another $6000+ between September and November. My credit is 802 and my unsecured debt is zero, so I could just throw it on a credit card but I won't. I have 4 vehicles at my disposal, so parking it for a few months is not a big deal. Granted, those other 4 vehicles combined are worth less than this purchase, but if I don't have the cash for the rims, I will wait.

I'm not living beyond my means. What I am doing is buying something I want for myself, for the first time in my life, and I have saved for several years to make it happen. I really want the Plaid, but I am a rational person who knows that would be a financial burden. A $100k loan payment is well outside my financial means, which is why I am putting down enough cash to make it a $55k loan, which is comfortably within my means.

This group here swings between "We should not complain about waiting because others have less" to "Dude you can't afford $7k rims? LOL."

Where do you draw the line? PPF can cost around $8k. If someone here says they can't afford that, I guess they are living beyond their means? What about those of us buying a LR because we can't afford the Plaid? Are we being foolish too? What about the MANY people here who have no business buying a 2 second vehicle, because we know they are too old or too timid to really appreciate it. Are they being foolish with their money as well?

I think I can afford a $100k car without living beyond by means, but I guess if I can't drop another $16k on PPF, ceramic coating, tint, brake repainting, and a second set of rims, I should just buy a modest Camry.

When I originally thought to but this car, it cost $70K. Then the refresh was announced and it went up by $12K. I re-evaluated my situation, and decided that is a bridge too far. SO I test drove the Model 3. I didn't like it. I then decided to drop the FSD, and save a bit more for the Model S. I ordered the vehicle with Tempest wheels, but I hated them. I realized it would bother me, so I switched to the Arachnids, and added more savings to the down payment. At that time, there was no mention of summer tires on anything.

This all happened before I had access to the owners manual, and knew about the summer tires. When I found out about the summer tires on the 21" I would have switched back, but by then it was a $500 increase in cost to go backwards, because of the price increase.

So here I am, with enough for a comfortable loan, and not enough for $6-7K to pay cash for rims. So I either cancel my order, or possibly park it for the winter. If I have to pay $7k for rims and tires, it will be parked. If I have better options by November, like a rim and tire package around $4k, I will drive it. Either way, I don't need anyone else applying their choices and judgements to my decisions.
That sir, was the response of someone with a large wee wee, and I applaud you. Seriously. Nobody would want to say "I can't afford" and you clearly (in my mind can) - but you CHOOSE not to spend beyond your comfort level - thus the large wee wee.
The "small wee wee" tries to keep up with the Joneses, living beyond their means, etc.
Am I getting an LR? (sure hope so!)
Can I get a Plaid? Yes.
Do I see the value of the Plaid (to me)? No. Though frankly, if only $10k more I'd probably do it.
Do I need the LR? No.
Should I get the LR? Not if I'm being "the millionaire next door" - per the book - a Prodigious Accumulator of Wealth - like the plain dressed tradesman who has millions in reserves and lives at a $40k level. To me, these cars are like those for the UAW (Under Accumulators of Wealth) - like the bank president in the very expensive suit - and no money in the bank - and a month or so of being laid off that house goes up for auction. I read of at least one member here who saved a long time for his car (and I applaud him - he wants the car, saved, and he's good to go). And there are folks on this forum who could probably buy and sell me a zillion times over - for them this is possibly a significant purchase, but not a huge financial hit.
I picked up 2 new leases for my daughters Saturday, and thought about a third for me (they were cheap). Naw. Test drove a Y last week for my wife versus an X. Still on the fence for that one.

I salute your will power to NOT buy the tires or rims if you can't get them on your terms, and let your LR sit for 4 months. I personally would not do that - but that's why there are multiple colors, options, and Ginger vs. Mary Ann etc. (For me, Mary Ann by a longshot!)

As a pure aside, I'd have likely spent $4,500 more to get the 19" versus the 21" based on bad experiences I had with my current Benz - the 20" wheels kept getting flats and one cracked rim. I bought replica 19" rims and was able to get the tires I wanted, and haven't had a flat in about 3 years (versus 4 in the first 6 months)

There's a saying, "Cost is only an issue in the absence of value"
okay, enough of my rant. I just wanted to throw some support in that direction.

One would think that there would be a progression of speed modes? When insane mode was implemented, it was chill, sport and insane. When ludicrous mode was implemented, it was chill, sport, insane and ludicrous. Why not chill, sport, insane, ludicrous and then plaid?
I wondered the same. Don't we all want the full Spaceballs effect here? Well, don't we? 😂

Did you order an LR or Plaid? I got to drive a 4S with the battery pack for a few weeks and liked it, but not enough to buy it over another Tesla. Would love to hear some comparisons from someone who hear has driven both relatively recently
I have a Plaid on order, should be here in September. The video reviewers do everyone a disservice by trying to compare these cars. They are completely different from each other. Their approach, operation, drive, handling, etc.

One would think that there would be a progression of speed modes? When insane mode was implemented, it was chill, sport and insane. When ludicrous mode was implemented, it was chill, sport, insane and ludicrous. Why not chill, sport, insane, ludicrous and then plaid?
Ludicrous replaced Insane. They were not present as acceleration modes in the same car at the same time.
Now, Plaid replaces Ludicrous. I think this makes sense.

Ludicrous replaced Insane. They were not present as acceleration modes in the same car at the same time.
Now, Plaid replaces Ludicrous. I think this makes sense.
That is not entirely true. It's true NOW, but only from firmware updates. When I first got my P100D, all modes were available. That changed in a couple of months after firmware update.

Since people are starting to take delivery of their 19 inch Plaids and Long Ranges, I figured I’d put out some feelers. If anyone is looking to sell their set of 19s, PM me. If you have one on order and want to sell when you take delivery, PM me as well. I am definitely looking to get a set for the northern winters. Thanks!
I am but my Plaid is scheduled for February.

MS Plaid, white, cream/walnut set for delivery tomorrow (converted from white/CF at Tesla prompting). Yes!!! SF90 coming in January at 4-5X the price! I ordered white/white/CF Plaid Plus (RN1139) on battery day and converted to Plaid and it shows no EDD. Another same spec (RN1144) shows 9/20-9/30 delivery. Will likely sell the first one when the second arrives with less than 1,000 miles, if interested.

What role does the heat pump play in the AC system? I thought that was only an improvement for heating the vehicle, rather than cooling it.

Also has AC performance improved? I’m assuming with the dual pane windows it’s better insulated but has the actual AC system been improved?
A heat pump is dual mode. It can create heating or cooling for the cabin. In simplistic form, it will heat and if you run it backwards it will cool. Hence, you have one highly efficient system for climate control.

Is it possible to lease a Tesla for 4 months? I thought my car would be here by August but it's still saying December and I'm in a situation where I'm going to need a car for 4 months until then. Buying a selling a used M3/S seems bad because I'm stuck paying taxes I can't recoup.

Anyone have experience with short term leases?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Has anyone else had problems accessing the forum? Not working on my cell.
It was all white on my cell, home computer, incognito windows etc…. I tried clearing history, cookies, cache, etc. finally after trying many times it started working again (all those things I did had no impact on fixing the issue)…

UPDATE: still doesn’t work on my Mac (safari and chrome). Only works on my cell.

Anyone have any ideas what delivery time for a black / Black / LR would Be? If I have an existing reservation and changing color from MSM to Black, what would that possibly do? The EDD for the MSM is October. I know this is all speculative but I’m curious what I can expect if I change the color.
When did you order the MSM? Before the price hikes? If so, plan on paying $89,990 for the privilege of changing colors.

Is it possible to lease a Tesla for 4 months? I thought my car would be here by August but it's still saying December and I'm in a situation where I'm going to need a car for 4 months until then. Buying a selling a used M3/S seems bad because I'm stuck paying taxes I can't recoup.

Anyone have experience with short term leases?
You can check out swapalease. They have short term leases. I know people that have had smooth and successful lease transfers. Another website is Leasetrader.

When did you order the MSM? Before the price hikes? If so, plan on paying $89,990 for the privilege of changing colors.
Yes, it was pre price hike….I’m potentially taking a reservation from someone…. I have one that is Black with White interior (February delivery) and MSM with black with October delivery.

unfortunately, I am aware of the 10k difference. I can’t seem to love the white / walnut interior or the MSM exterior. I’m going to get stuck with the price hike so I might as well go with the MSM that has a delivery date of October. With that being said, any idea what that would do to the delivery date?? I don’t seem to see many people taking delivery of black / black / 21s LR as of recently.