Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice. That’s much better than what I’ve heard. Hey buddy said he paid 125k. Is the battery+ similar in price? He tried talking me into one but that day I decided go plaid or go home
When the Porsche Taycan first came out, I priced a 4S w/ performance + battery built with the options I wanted (mostly based on my previous Porsche with similar options), and it came out to > $150k before tax. So, less battery range, much smaller, less technology, and way less performance than the Tesla MS Plaid (or LR) for much more $$. Trust me, I wish Porsche/Audi could really get their act together on EVs but in a more price & technology competitive way. I do love Porsche but geez, no thank you on the Taycan or Audi E-Tron GT…at least not with their first iterations anyhow.

When the Porsche Taycan first came out, I priced a 4S w/ performance + battery built with the options I wanted (mostly based on my previous Porsche with similar options), and it came out to > $150k before tax. So, less battery range, much smaller, less technology, and way less performance than the Tesla MS Plaid (or LR) for much more $$. Trust me, I wish Porsche/Audi could really get their act together on EVs but in a more price & technology competitive way. I do love Porsche but geez, no thank you on the Taycan or Audi E-Tron GT…at least not with their first iterations anyhow.
As someone who loves and has personally owned Audis and Porches the last 20 years, I can't agree more. After driving a new Taycan a few months ago, I absolutely loved the looks and the handling. But I felt that the killers were much more $$$ for much less range, software that absolutely sucks in my opinion (anyone try the voice recognition?? OMG), dependency on playing third party charging "russian roulette" for any road trips, and other issues that made it truly feel like it was a first-generation EV for Porsche. And the Audi E-Tron GT is right there too.

Personally hoping they get it right with their second generation of EVs, in order to give Tesla some real competition and force Tesla to step things up with their service, quality control, and communications.

Thanks.

If you care about protecting your car, the most common tip I tend to hear from professional detailers: avoid automatic car washes like the plague. For some perspective, watch this pro detailer take his brand new Tesla thru a local car wash. Ouch!
i am still not sold on this damage stuff. I have a 528 and have monthly subscription with Delta Sonic and wash 2-3 times a month when I find time and looks pretty good. I am not too concerned about micro scratches stuff they talk about as you kind of have to look for it. On a normal day, everyday, you dont look for it. So, I am still on the fence on PPF but considering ceramic for ease of maintenance. Am I missing something big being the first time Tesla owner?

That is (if/when I get my car.... I do see a lot of folks who ordered after me getting dates well before me... Hmmmm... That's for another day...)

I think the extent a person wants to protect/maintain one's car is like paint colors... it is totally a matter of personal preference. Where one person sees micro-scratches as a total non-issue, another person may see it as blasphemy on a six-figure car. To each their own.

I just know after 100k miles on my existing Model S, I want a full wrap on my next one. 👍

Last edited:
As far as Porsche and VW are concerned, as well as the rest of the EV world, I almost wish the refreshed S wasn’t so good. It’s like the Plaid, with it’s benchmarking stats, is so strong how much better or faster can it get? If it had run 9.9’s it would still would have been a game changer. There is a limit on how fast a vehicle can/should be. I would argue the Plaid is getting damn close.

Don’t get me wrong, I freaking love it. I’m just wondering if Tesla needed to throw down this hard.

But somehow I believe that we’re all witnessing a seismic shift in the automotive industry. There is the very real possibility that Porsche becomes less relevant, as well as many other high end manufacturers.

I mean I see new 911’s, of which I had one, and all I think is “Wow, we spent 100 years developing the wrong thing.” And we got it damn good, so refined, like any 911. But it’s still the wrong thing. We, as humans, worked and stressed and toiled to make ICE great, and the entire time electric was the answer. Or, at minimum, the better answer.

I’m not sure if I should be happy or disgusted by this. 🤨

As far as Porsche and VW are concerned, as well as the rest of the EV world, I almost wish the refreshed S wasn’t so good. It’s like the Plaid, with it’s benchmarking stats, is so strong how much better or faster can it get? If it had run 9.9’s it would still would have been a game changer. There is a limit on how fast a vehicle can/should be. I would argue the Plaid is getting damn close.

Don’t get me wrong, I freaking love it. I’m just wondering if Tesla needed to throw down this hard.

But somehow I believe that we’re all witnessing a seismic shift in the automotive industry. There is the very real possibility that Porsche becomes less relevant, as well as many other high end manufacturers.

I mean I see new 911’s, of which I had one, and all I think is “Wow, we spent 100 years developing the wrong thing.” And we got it damn good, so refined, like any 911. But it’s still the wrong thing. We, as humans, worked and stressed and toiled to make ICE great, and the entire time electric was the answer. Or, at minimum, the better answer.

I’m not sure if I should be happy or disgusted by this. 🤨
I think it was important for Tesla to set this benchmark, to re-establish themselves solidly at the top of the EV game. They've effectively knocked Porsche out with one hit, as whatever Porsche does, even if it runs 7s, will still cost a solid multiple of the Plaid.
Tesla also has IMO positioned themselves in the perfect watching position. Lucid's Tri Motor Air will be the closest thing to it, and I think Tesla is waiting to see what it does. I strongly believe that the Plaid in its current form has at least 50 to 80 hp in reserve, and maybe a couple tenths in the 0-60 to spare. This is an excellent move IMO, because whatever the competition offers, one SW update, and they are back on top. Personally, I think the 18560 Plaid totally has rock-bottom 9s, or even really high 8s in it. And this is even before any battery technology or powertrain improvements that are sure to be coming in the future.

Last edited:
Also, I need to get something off my chest… I don’t like taking care of my car that much… some of y’all are putting these cars through college and stuff. I try to clean the bird poop off mine every few weeks. I appreciate you guys and your ridiculously nice looking cars but hope it’s okay to stay on here if I don’t Pay-Per-View my car…
Some of us just wait for the next rain
14038EEE-AF92-492F-B95D-FEE6E6CF0D49.jpeg

I think it was important for Tesla to set this benchmark, to re-establish themselves solidly at the top of the EV game. They've effectively knocked Porsche out with one hit, as whatever Porsche does, even if it runs 7s, will still cost a solid multiple of the Plaid.
Tesla also has IMO positioned themselves in the perfect watching position. Lucid's Tri Motor Air will be the closest thing to it, and I think Tesla is waiting to see what it does. I strongly believe that the Plaid in its current form has at least 50 to 80 hp in reserve, and maybe a couple tenths in the 0-60 to spare. This is an excellent move IMO, because whatever the competition offers, one SW update, and they are back on top. Personally, I think the 18560 Plaid totally has rock-bottom 9s, or even really high 8s in it. And this is even before any battery technology or powertrain improvements that are sure to be coming in the future.
Lol, yeah, that’s exactly my point. They could have achieved he exact same results at 9.9, 9.8, 9.7, etc. And still knocked everyone’s socks off. Hose numbers woukd have put them at the top of he heap still. Even if a Sena was a close race, it’s still crazy its even a race. At the moment a Plaid creams it.

Again, I’m am certainly not complaining. I just thing Tesla went way beyond what they needed to. I mean, last night drag racing, nobody, and I mean nobody, would line up against me.

I’m sure they understand what they’ve done. The motors are good for 400hp each so here’s plenty of power sitting there in the car, to your point.

To add a couple of things:
  • I think it is doable, but the first couple of times, take it easy on speed and see how your range holds--hopefully the energy app will release soon to give you more data
  • There are a few things you can turn off to help with the vampire drain like turn off things like Summons standby and Cabin Overheat Protection, and pause anything like TeslaFi that polls your car
  • TBH, no idea what winter weather is like in east Texas, but keep in mind the effect of cold and headwinds on your range
  • OTOH AC is not as big a deal as is is on gasoline cars. On the older S, using the AC was like a 3% ding on range--I assume the new heat pump is improved upon that
  • To the earlier point, if you can arrange to have to plug into a 110V outlet while you are parked, you should have not issues
What role does the heat pump play in the AC system? I thought that was only an improvement for heating the vehicle, rather than cooling it.

Also has AC performance improved? I’m assuming with the dual pane windows it’s better insulated but has the actual AC system been improved?

Lol, yeah, that’s exactly my point. They could have achieved he exact same results at 9.9, 9.8, 9.7, etc. And still knocked everyone’s socks off. Hose numbers woukd have put them at the top of he heap still. Even if a Sena was a close race, it’s still crazy its even a race. At the moment a Plaid creams it.

Again, I’m am certainly not complaining. I just thing Tesla went way beyond what they needed to. I mean, last night drag racing, nobody, and I mean nobody, would line up against me.

I’m sure they understand what they’ve done. The motors are good for 400hp each so here’s plenty of power sitting there in the car, to your point.
I totally understand your point. I do think however that is the type of not incremental, but nearly revolutionary change that the industry needs. This will make other manufacturers produce cars that WILL want to race you at the strip. Plus, Lucid ran a 9.247 in the Tri-Motor Air, and Tesla is comfortably one tenth faster. So technically, Tesla was upping the bar slightly, although the Lucid was a prototype.🙂

I totally understand your point. I do think however that is the type of not incremental, but nearly revolutionary change that the industry needs. This will make other manufacturers produce cars that WILL want to race you at the strip. Plus, Lucid ran a 9.247 in the Tri-Motor Air, and Tesla is comfortably one tenth faster. So technically, Tesla was upping the bar slightly, although the Lucid was a prototype.🙂
I’m in the camp of, if I can’t buy it, it doesn’t exist. So while I hope the best for Lucid, I cannot go drive or buy one today. So I do not see the Plaid as incremental. I see it as a second+ faster than a 911 Turbo, which is pretty much a long standing benchmark.

Don’t even get me started about my last Redlist event in a 911 Turbo that just kissed the 9’s at 9.97 @ 134. I kid you not, I have a piece of the crankcase on my desk to this day. THAT was a pricey repair.

Nevertheless, I can’t recall anything throwing down as hard as the Plaid. The last vehicle I recall that rewrote the rulebook this aggressively was the Suzuki Haybusa in 1999. It put a full 20mph on the next fastest bike.

Again, I love it. I cant imagine, or wait, to see where we go from here!

I’m in the camp of, if I can’t buy it, it doesn’t exist. So while I hope that best for Lucid, I cannot go drive or buy one today. so I do not see the Plaid as incremental. I see it as a second+ faster than a 911 Turbo, which is pretty much a long standing benchmark.

Don’t even get me started about my last Redlist event in a 911 Turbo that just kissed the 9’s at 9.97 @ 134. I kid you not, I have a piece of the crankcase on my desk to this day. THAT was a pricey repair.

Nevertheless, I can’t recall anything throwing down as hard as the Plaid. The last vehicle I recall that rewrote the rulebook this aggressively was the Suzuki Haybusa in 1999. It put a full 20mph on the next fastest bike.

Again, I love it. I cant imagine, or wait, to see where we go from here!
Great words. Totally agreed, and I absolutely cannot wait to see where this goes! Yeah I can think of other cars that reset other benchmarks, such as the Acura NSX in 1992, which is why Ferraris start in the morning now, but not so much in performance. Possibly the McLaren F1 or the Veyron.
Regardless, there are absolutely exciting times ahead! SO looking forward to it!😁