Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm the nerd side of stuff. Got into ChampCars to build the motors and learn how to set up an aero car. Competent as a driver but no star.
Same on the L-39 side. Got into them to build Garrett engine versions.
Currently trying to make the bigger version of the motors breath in the airframe-
Fly them to fly off the Phase 1 flight testing then on to their long term owners.

On the Plaid side, it looks like Tesla has addressed all the suspension related issues. Camber is much better as delivered and there does not seem to be that much camber gain when lowering. In addition, the way they have done their upper a-arms in the rear makes it super easy to shim out camber if needed. No more having to make new arms :). The did a really nice job on the refresh. I have no idea what the underside of the Lucid looks like but the refresh is a pretty high bar.
I just looked up L39 because I too, am a Jet Pilot. (RC planes, but still...principles are similiar).
Used L39's can be had for around $250k. I can afford that (with a under 2% loan..haha).

(I can only imagine the expense of maintenance and actual flying costs)

Reactions: AMGF and impastu
I don't think the 2021.5 Tesla S LR will be as depreciating as prior times. If I ever get my Jan order, I'm paying 12K less than if I purchased it today. I'm betting with the current inflation situation, the LR will cost around 110-120K in lets say, about 3.5 years from now. I'm betting my $80500 LR will be worth $75K in 3.5 years
It was kind of Tesla to give us a little back side protection on these early LR and Plaids.

Not sure where the ambient temp sensor is but they probably have a work light close to it creating a hot spot. No way the shop is at that temp !
I don't think they started on it. That's the only reason I have been monitoring the temp. The owner promised to have it done by Friday night. I'm waiting for the temperature to drop as a sign it has been moved out of the sun and into a service bay. I dropped it off yesterday morning right as they opened.

So my reply to your logic is, you pay someone 2% to make 10%? That nets 8% if my math is correct? But if you just invest the money yourself and not ask for a loan, methinks you make 10% in that scenario? Perhaps I'm numerically challenged or early onset of dementia has taken it's toll?
How can you make 10% on the money that you have completely given away (i.e paid off your car with that money) Its no longer at your disposal and the only upside is you saving that 2% interest.

I don't think the 2021.5 Tesla S LR will be as depreciating as prior times. If I ever get my Jan order, I'm paying 12K less than if I purchased it today. I'm betting with the current inflation situation, the LR will cost around 110-120K in lets say, about 3.5 years from now. I'm betting my $80500 LR will be worth $75K in 3.5 years
After buying my Benz, I swore I wouldn't buy another car - however now you have me thinking...
I will say, and this was a serious consideration, I was rear ended, so the carfax is not shiite, which cost me on the sale or trade in. Just yesterday the guy who i was using for the diminished value claim said forget it, so i figure that's a loss of $7k or so.
Lease - turn it back in in 3 years, maybe get a new version or switch brands. Purchase - can make sense to put money into it like the PPF, etc.
I IMAGINE the 2023s or so may have the new battery tech - updated software (and updated glitches) etc. - so I like bouncing out after 3 years, but the idea of selling it for purchase price 3 years later doesn't seem that crazy to me based on the above.
However, being serious, who is going to pay $75k for a 3 year old car? I dunno.

Reactions: byeLT4 and impastu
My local Tesla gallery just called to offer me a Plaid/white/black/cf/21 Model S right now. I figured since my EDD just got updated to September 20-September 30, it wasn't worth it. So I asked him to check on his end what my delivery date shows. He says, "Well... I'm seeing it differently on my end. On my end I see mid-december to January."

How can whatever that system is be so different than what I'm seeing in my account? Is there reason to believe that one is more reliable than the other?

Bump to this - has anyone heard about a different data set from which the SA’s system is pulling information, and why what we see is more optimistic than what they have showing? I can sorta see if their system shows slightly more optimistic figures than ours, but it makes absolutely no sense for ours to be more optimistic (further tick customers off).

All this talk of investing and buying cars with cash.
It likely all comes down to risk. Some are at a stage where growth is important. Others, not so much so and retention and order is more important. To each their own and I will never question another's decision as I do not have to live with the consequences of that decision (thus my opinion does not count).

Oh , really?! I had signed up to be notified when the 2021 refresh product was available, and received the notification of product availability this morning. Thanks for the info.

edit: @BobbyRitz , see above. Not sure but that was the question I had asked Tech Support.
Impulse buy...just ordered BUT I too want to make sure they fit the "refresh" MS Plaid/LR and apparently, it's a Hong Kong company but they have a toll-free # to call BUT only after 7PM EST, lol...so I will call this evening and ask them to verify fitment for our cars! Will let you guys know for sure what they say.

After buying my Benz, I swore I wouldn't buy another car - however now you have me thinking...
I will say, and this was a serious consideration, I was rear ended, so the carfax is not shiite, which cost me on the sale or trade in. Just yesterday the guy who i was using for the diminished value claim said forget it, so i figure that's a loss of $7k or so.
Lease - turn it back in in 3 years, maybe get a new version or switch brands. Purchase - can make sense to put money into it like the PPF, etc.
I IMAGINE the 2023s or so may have the new battery tech - updated software (and updated glitches) etc. - so I like bouncing out after 3 years, but the idea of selling it for purchase price 3 years later doesn't seem that crazy to me based on the above.
However, being serious, who is going to pay $75k for a 3 year old car? I dunno.
Someone just might.
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 10.56.58 AM.png

I mean, this isnt really that difficult to digest. In the simplest of forms:

The logic is simple: When you can borrow money at a lower interest rate than you can earn on money you invest, it’s cheaper to take a loan than to pay cash.

At 1.99% or less, it’s worth financing​

If I were purchasing a new car today and had the option to either pay cash or finance the car at 1.99% or less, I would seriously consider financing it.

I mean, this isnt really that difficult to digest. In the simplest of forms:

The logic is simple: When you can borrow money at a lower interest rate than you can earn on money you invest, it’s cheaper to take a loan than to pay cash.

At 1.99% or less, it’s worth financing​

If I were purchasing a new car today and had the option to either pay cash or finance the car at 1.99% or less, I would seriously consider financing it.
You clearly are clueless 😜

Yeah I honestly can't stand that dude. Talks too fast.
"Hey guys, try to decipher what I'm saying: rdjsjhs shshshshsjshshsbebbdbdhdbdndjshsbsbsbssnbs...."
Honestly, i like the guy. His hand movements are a bit distracting, but it’s like listening to Joe Rogan at 2x the speed. Kinda nice to just get your thoughts out fast. And I liked his commentary honestly. Pretty spot on. Decently knowledgable for a young whippersnapper.

Thought I heard 19” Plaid would be summer but LR could be summer or AS? Guess I’ll find out soon.
I don't think anyone knows for certain. My 19s came with Pirelli P Zero 'Elect' PZ4 which appear to be summer tires. The TA at the SC was certain the Pirelli 19s are All Seasons but that appears to be false. I'll take pics when I get home. The 19s without the Aerocaps actually look better than I expected. I'll end up putting winter tires on the 19s and I'll leave the Aerocaps off unless I take a road trip. Still looking to get forged 20s.

Windows/windshield are currently being tinted with 3m ceramic 35% and 70% windshield.