Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, the best car color ever made is Carbon Black. BMW sells cars in this color.

Basically it's black with blue metallic, or something like that.

It has the effect of looking black except exactly where your fovea is focused. It's just stunning.
Fly Yellow..... My first 360 :)

This is good; we will not be chasing the same girl (or guy)!

Last edited:
While I am debating on what to do with the Plaid ordered out of inventory in NC, I got a text from the local store about a BLK/BLK LR 21 that was available. Once I asked if it was a reject and when it was built, I didn't hear back. I will probably cancel the Plaid order in NC. Nobody answers the phone at that store. I am supposed to only deal with Las Vegas until it's ready for delivery in Orlando, Florida. Do you think they'd tell you if your inventory car is a reject? Photos would be nice too.

My Blue/cream LR EDD has shifted to Nov-Dec. now. I assume it may be a 2022. The MY may arrive first.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
FINALLY took delivery of our red 19" Plaid yesterday! Left the Portland OR SC with 333 mile on range estimate. I can't envision using a supercharger ever again. We don't do trips and using a ICE truck for the last couple of months has killed any desire to stop anywhere to refill anything. First home charge last night stopped at 351! Not sure how we're gonna use the 1000 referral miles.

Oh yea the acceleration is beyond your imagination. Violent neck snapping is NOT and exaggeration! Did it to the wife twice on the way home. This power is not a stomp on it thing. Just like at the track you'll want to squeeze that throttle. You can squeeze it fast, just don't stomp on it. I went from 60mph to 104 in literally a blink of the eye. The yoke is easy to us but that power will take some getting used to. Chill is not an option. Kind of defeats the plaid decision. I'll change from Plaid to sport and see the difference later today.

Life is good
Sport will irritate you.
Acceleration => "violent"

Odds are really good, probably not for a year or more. The LR can beat a P100D in the 1/4 mile, even with the half second deficit from 0-60. I believe it is getting a software restriction, along with the 0-60 speed of 3.1, without rollout, to make the Plaid look that much more appealing. I am convinced Tesla will take my money in a year or so to give me a sub 2.5 0-60.

Peacocks, don't ruffle your feathers, the Plaid is awesome.
And what would we be willing to pay for this upgrade? I would pay $3-5k but anything beyond 5 and I would probably skip it.

While I am debating on what to do with the Plaid ordered out of inventory in NC, I got a text from the local store about a BLK/BLK LR 21 that was available. Once I asked if it was a reject and when it was built, I didn't hear back. I will probably cancel the Plaid order in NC. Nobody answers the phone at that store. I am supposed to only deal with Las Vegas until it's ready for delivery in Orlando, Florida. Do you think they'd tell you if your inventory car is a reject? Photos would be nice too.

My Blue/cream LR EDD has shifted to Nov-Dec. now. I assume it may be a 2022. The MY may arrive first.
Someone got some details out of a SC why they were being offered a car. They were transparent that it was rejected and the forum users went to visit it. Easily identified why, lots of panel gaps. Some might take it and lean hard on Tesla to correct it. All a matter of if you want to put up with Tesla service center.

I think the constraint will be cells--the Roadster will be contending with the CT, Semi and the megacast Y. Which is why I also don't think we'll see a 4860-based S/X anytime soon.
I still ask myself Why? I really did understand dumping the Plaid+. It was a bit of a one off and the Plaid really does have enough power. The battery range will likely come as a product of their development tree so building the original Plaid concept is/was nothing more than a distraction. The Roadster, even more so as it will share much less in common with a larger production car. I'm actually concerned about the S/X as, at a couple percent of production, they really would not make sense. Perhaps the numbers will come up closer to 10-20% as they ramp but at 1-2% they too are distractions.

FINALLY took delivery of our red 19" Plaid yesterday! Left the Portland OR SC with 333 mile on range estimate. I can't envision using a supercharger ever again. We don't do trips and using a ICE truck for the last couple of months has killed any desire to stop anywhere to refill anything. First home charge last night stopped at 351! Not sure how we're gonna use the 1000 referral miles.

Oh yea the acceleration is beyond your imagination. Violent neck snapping is NOT and exaggeration! Did it to the wife twice on the way home. This power is not a stomp on it thing. Just like at the track you'll want to squeeze that throttle. You can squeeze it fast, just don't stomp on it. I went from 60mph to 104 in literally a blink of the eye. The yoke is easy to us but that power will take some getting used to. Chill is not an option. Kind of defeats the plaid decision. I'll change from Plaid to sport and see the difference later today.

Life is good
Enjoy it and drive it in good health! I hope that you share some photos of your Plaid. We enjoy seeing the peacocks in their natural habitat.

Hi All!

I just wanted to give you guys a quick one month update. I got my January order Plaid in late July and after a very smooth delivery process, ownership so far has thankfully been both uneventful and much more than I'd hoped for. I previously owned a 2020 Model S Performance and while I loved that car, the refresh S is operating in another league completely.

I've found that as you experience the car over time, you really understand how many areas of the car that the Tesla engineers touched and improved, especially when compared to the outgoing car. All told, this is the evolution of the Model S that I was hoping for. The car looks awesome and is brutally fast while still being incredibly quiet, comfortable and utilitarian. It's superb at adapting to your mood, driving preference and needs at any given time.

Exhausted after a long day? Put on a relaxing Spotify channel, change the suspension to comfort, engage Autopilot and unwind. Want to blast through some mountain roads? Put the acceleration, steering and suspension in sport and have a blast. Want to rearrange your organs and what not? Change it to Plaid mode and pin it at any speed. Got a friend/coworker/family member/complete stranger that needs an introduction to electric performance? Cue up dragstrip mode and alter their perception of automotive acceleration forever. Want to fart at someone curbside? Tesla gotchu. I could go on, but this is my favorite thing about owning a Tesla- how they can adapt to you at any time. I love it.

I like the Yoke. In my old Model S, I could never get the steering wheel in a position that didn't block the driver's display and I found that annoying. One of my favorite things is the visibility out of this car and the yoke provides you with that unobstructed view that I was looking for. I don't usually have to do any complicated parking lot maneuvers, but I could see it being tricky for those that do. The interior overall is beautiful and I'm so glad I waited a little longer for the carbon fiber. The wood looks great in all the pictures I've seen, but I would've kicked myself for not getting what I really wanted.

I haul kids around and the overall back seat changes are a massive improvement compared to the outgoing Model S. The mobile app is truly great and useful. My wife has a newer Infiniti and while their app promises all kinds of stuff, it sucks and requires a pricey subscription, etc. Hatchbacks are useful as heck and I'm so glad this car is a hatchback. The only problems/issues I've had are some general observations that the software needs improvement, which I believe Tesla will do over time, while breaking other things too, haha. Also, this car has a faint fan running sound near the cowl area that my old Model S didn't have. That car would just shut off shortly after I parked in the garage. The Plaid will run this fan for over an hour sometimes after I've parked the car, even after a short trip. Normal behavior I suppose?

Thanks for reading my ramblings, I hope it helps some of you that are still waiting or are going through some delivery drama. I always wince when I read stories of complicated deliveries or post-delivery issues on here. I hate to hear em and hate it for the owners going through it. I'm not sure if I've just been lucky with my two smooth Tesla buying experiences, or maybe the Nashville Tesla folks are just thorough and do a good job vs. some other service centers that I've read about. I'm thinking it's the latter. Okay, been going on long enough...time to look for an excuse to go for a drive. 😁👍

IMG_1126.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1149.jpeg

Oh yea the acceleration is beyond your imagination. Violent neck snapping is NOT and exaggeration! Did it to the wife twice on the way home.
My buddies with Model S Teslas do this to me EVERY time I am a passenger in their cars which annoys the hell out of me (esp. after the first time when I was like whoa!!!). I can't wait to start doing this to all of my passengers! :p

Hi All!

I just wanted to give you guys a quick one month update. I got my January order Plaid in late July and after a very smooth delivery process, ownership so far has thankfully been both uneventful and much more than I'd hoped for. I previously owned a 2020 Model S Performance and while I loved that car, the refresh S is operating in another league completely.

I've found that as you experience the car over time, you really understand how many areas of the car that the Tesla engineers touched and improved, especially when compared to the outgoing car. All told, this is the evolution of the Model S that I was hoping for. The car looks awesome and is brutally fast while still being incredibly quiet, comfortable and utilitarian. It's superb at adapting to your mood, driving preference and needs at any given time.

Exhausted after a long day? Put on a relaxing Spotify channel, change the suspension to comfort, engage Autopilot and unwind. Want to blast through some mountain roads? Put the acceleration, steering and suspension in sport and have a blast. Want to rearrange your organs and what not? Change it to Plaid mode and pin it at any speed. Got a friend/coworker/family member/complete stranger that needs an introduction to electric performance? Cue up dragstrip mode and alter their perception of automotive acceleration forever. Want to fart at someone curbside? Tesla gotchu. I could go on, but this is my favorite thing about owning a Tesla- how they can adapt to you at any time. I love it.

I like the Yoke. In my old Model S, I could never get the steering wheel in a position that didn't block the driver's display and I found that annoying. One of my favorite things is the visibility out of this car and the yoke provides you with that unobstructed view that I was looking for. I don't usually have to do any complicated parking lot maneuvers, but I could see it being tricky for those that do. The interior overall is beautiful and I'm so glad I waited a little longer for the carbon fiber. The wood looks great in all the pictures I've seen, but I would've kicked myself for not getting what I really wanted.

I haul kids around and the overall back seat changes are a massive improvement compared to the outgoing Model S. The mobile app is truly great and useful. My wife has a newer Infiniti and while their app promises all kinds of stuff, it sucks and requires a pricey subscription, etc. Hatchbacks are useful as heck and I'm so glad this car is a hatchback. The only problems/issues I've had are some general observations that the software needs improvement, which I believe Tesla will do over time, while breaking other things too, haha. Also, this car has a faint fan running sound near the cowl area that my old Model S didn't have. That car would just shut off shortly after I parked in the garage. The Plaid will run this fan for over an hour sometimes after I've parked the car, even after a short trip. Normal behavior I suppose?

Thanks for reading my ramblings, I hope it helps some of you that are still waiting or are going through some delivery drama. I always wince when I read stories of complicated deliveries or post-delivery issues on here. I hate to hear em and hate it for the owners going through it. I'm not sure if I've just been lucky with my two smooth Tesla buying experiences, or maybe the Nashville Tesla folks are just thorough and do a good job vs. some other service centers that I've read about. I'm thinking it's the latter. Okay, been going on long enough...time to look for an excuse to go for a drive. 😁👍

View attachment 702139

View attachment 702140

View attachment 702141

View attachment 702142
Mirrors my experience.
I've got a video of the fan running shot between the front windscreen and the hood. I'll show service the next time I go by the SC.
Vampire losses are very high on this car so I suspect they have yet to figure out how to manage all the goodies both sequencing them on and then off. Just a guess.

I still ask myself Why? I really did understand dumping the Plaid+. It was a bit of a one off and the Plaid really does have enough power. The battery range will likely come as a product of their development tree so building the original Plaid concept is/was nothing more than a distraction. The Roadster, even more so as it will share much less in common with a larger production car. I'm actually concerned about the S/X as, at a couple percent of production, they really would not make sense. Perhaps the numbers will come up closer to 10-20% as they ramp but at 1-2% they too are distractions.
I think Tesla will always have to these flagship cars, as it's important as a halo effect. There is a need for premium peoducts such as these. And they should reach around 100k per year hopefully soon, and really start making that money for Tesla. Additionally, Tesla has plans for these going far into the future, as they are reportedly planning to move all high volume production to Texas, and to reserve Fremont specifically for low volume, (S/X, Roadster) vehicles only. 🙂

Hi All!

View attachment 702139

View attachment 702140

View attachment 702141

View attachment 702142
Great update on your month ownership and glad to see a Plaid twin! Did you get PPF? Just wondering how the paint has been holding up (especially behind the tires) if you've done a lot of launches and/ or spirited driving.

Mirrors my experience.
I've got a video of the fan running shot between the front windscreen and the hood. I'll show service the next time I go by the SC.
Vampire losses are very high on this car so I suspect they have yet to figure out how to manage all the goodies both sequencing them on and then off. Just a guess.
What has your vampire drain been? I'm seeing a 10% loss every 24 hours. I sentry mode enabled and am constantly checking the Tesla and Tessie app…

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I stopped in at the Peabody, MA location (where I'll be taking delivery). They told me my LR is currently on its way out of CA, so it just left Fremont. We set up a delivery appt. for Sep 9th. They offered me the 7th, but I'm working all day and can't get out of that, so this gives them a bit of extra time to baby my baby, no problem...

Also, they said that refunds (my $2K) would probably be sent in the form of a check rather than an EFT credit. Fine, whatever.

Glad I've got 5 days of full-time work scheduled between now and delivery, it'll help me keep my mind from fixating on the car LOL.

Hi All!

View attachment 702139

View attachment 702140

View attachment 702141

View attachment 702142
Your one-month update makes me confident that I will be happy with my future MS. I am glad that your enjoying your ownership experience.

I think Tesla will always have to these flagship cars, as it's important as a halo effect. There is a need for premium peoducts such as these. And they should reach around 100k per year hopefully soon, and really start making that money for Tesla. Additionally, Tesla has plans for these going far into the future, as they are reportedly planning to move all high volume production to Texas, and to reserve Fremont specifically for low volume, (S/X, Roadster) vehicles only. 🙂

Completely concur. These flagship cars tend to improve the name brand, IMHO. They demonstrate that the car manufacturer has the engineering talent to develop a top end performance product, and gives confidence to consumers said ingenuity will permeate to the offerings on the product line. Look what he Corvette has done for GM, for example.