Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
19" tire update, saw several LR's just off the rail/truck with 19" tires yesterday. Two had VIN's in the xxx40200-40400 range and had the summer Pirelli's, two had vin's in the 40500-40750 range and had AS on them already . As suspected they were Continental ProContact RX.
View attachment 705109
Sweeeeet! This just saved me 1k on not having to buy a set of all seasons for the winter. I already bought a set of 21” Arachnids off of a Plaid for the summer.

They'd almost do better putting the horn button on the dash with a prominent color like red and making it large?
Can we just have a 'voice command' that a) requires no button press; and b) listens for me to slap my knee? ... OTOH, knowing how this stuff gets implemented, I'd have to slap my knee 5 times to activate the horn.

@HX_Guy just ran some Draggy runs in his LR with NINETEENS, and got a 130 mph trap! Also recorded 60-130 as well! For anyone interested in his thoughts on the run, or any other details, head over to the Dragy Times For LR and Plaid thread!
Here are his 1/4 mile results:

60-130:
My runs are actually on heavy ass 21" Twin Turbines. :p
They are about 10lbs heavier per corner than the stock 19” Tempest wheels. Also have 20mm spacers all around fir a bit more added weight. 😅

C6C71103-1E26-4DA4-8BBB-B31404CAEA8B.jpeg

D4CA8C96-7FC1-4D11-8AD4-6B2B64974A93.jpeg

3662CDEA-980B-4CBF-98D8-A85E34D86738.jpeg

5C19A31B-8C21-478D-A285-3A240F8291AF.jpeg

48514F3E-3EBB-41FA-A6FD-FF019C667EAA.jpeg

6694B135-4AE5-4F3D-8C0A-45B8FC30A31B.jpeg

45A4E7B8-2830-4FA0-8446-09AF3FB911C5.jpeg

5C19A31B-8C21-478D-A285-3A240F8291AF.jpeg

Weights are for...

Tempest 19 x 9.5" front
Tempset 19 x 10.5" rear
Twin Turbine 21 x 8.5" front
Twin Turbine 21 x 9.0" rear

Last edited:
So I think I have figured out the process Tesla follows on the expected delivery.

it’s like making pizza - you have several pizzas going (aka car reservation batches) and so you look for flour (body), water (battery and motors) and yeast (interior) for them. At that stage, your delivery is some arbitrary future date that you know is wrong because you haven’t proofed the dough as yet.

now when the dough is made fresh (aka procurement initiated for all the materials), your delivery goes blank, because you don’t know which dough ball will be made first - yes you have the dough balls, but which unlucky bastard will be made last - you don’t know that!

now when all the dough balls are proofed (materials in stock at the factory), you lay them out in a line and depending on if you’re a right handed person or a left handed person, you know which way you’ll go - dough ball #1, vs dough ball #last. That is when you assign a potential delivery window to the pizza - aka car

now the shift changes and the other dude coming to make the pizzas is left handed (assume you were right handed)! All of a sudden, doughball #last becomes doughball#1. There is now a glitch in the matrix and everything goes blank again for a bit until the new delivery time gets established for the left handed pizza dude!

then the shift changes again - process repeats! Eventually all the dough balls become pizzas, but we still haven’t addressed the toppings (aka wheels) !!!

see this is where it gets really interesting! Right handed pizza dude will shape some dough balls but put them aside in the parking lot because he ran outta pepperoni! Left handed pizza dude will (depending on if he’s a hard worker) either take right handed pizza dude’s shaped pies and put his own toppings on them or shape new dough balls!

irrespective of shift change, at some point there’s very few dough balls left and then the date range gets tighter! This is also why some lucky bastard gets his pizza within 10 minutes of ordering vs other unlucky bastards who have been in the middle of the batch and wait forever!

and that is how this car is made! Case solved!
And now everyone is hungry as hell for pizza.

My runs are actually on heavy ass 21" Twin Turbines. :p
They are about 10lbs heavier per corner than the stock 19” Tempest wheels. Also have 20mm spacers all around fir a bit more added weight. 😅

View attachment 705880
View attachment 705881
View attachment 705882
View attachment 705883
View attachment 705884
View attachment 705885
View attachment 705886
View attachment 705883
If you have an accurate scale, shouldn't they all be within at least a lb of each other? That is totally wacked.

Think another member recently posted this problem on delivery too. However, I would only ask them to fix it if it really bothers you. You have to consider that if they replace your bumper, you’ll risk other parts not aligning correctly (ie. headlights and fender gaps - at least one other member complained about this after Tesla replaced their bumper). If you can’t see it unless you have your head below the bumper, I would just leave it alone. Plus scratches like those are eventually going to happen, especially if you always drive around in low suspension setting. Of course if it bothers you or is visible from the front, then ask them to fix it now.
In my P100DL it happened to me once where I lightly touched a tall speed bump while owning the car for 4 years. (The scratches where quite tiny in comparison to this) It is bothering me knowing it’s there and I will give it a few days to possibly change my mind. Right now I want it replaced. Thank you all the input and suggestions.

Has everyone who took delivery looked underneath their front bumper with great detail? I really didn’t, but after looking at my PPF under the front lip to see how it was curing (a different event of its own) I noticed some scratching and scuffing in the lip and plastic cover/diffuser :(. I reported it to Tesla through service appointment asking for replacement of the front bumper and diffuser. The appointment is scheduled but no estimate of repair there yet. I’ve had the car for just over a week when noticing this and I have not hit anything or even come close to bottoming out. I’m quite meticulous when it comes to taking care of my cars.
Yep
35E9DF3C-79F0-4BC5-9E23-99D75A134EBF.jpeg

The horn is the one thing I am not sold on either but never really use it.
I agree on the horn being the only thing I am concerned about now. Because you hopefully almost never need to use the horn and when you do it's often in an emergency or with little time to think, reflexes and muscle memory kick in and I'm worried I'll just hit the middle of the steering wheel instead of finding the button when I really need to use it.

Everything else I will have a chance to practice and build muscle memory and am sure will be fine after a few weeks. I get the rationale behind the yoke and removing the stalks (don't necessarily agree but I understand the reasons). I don't know why they moved the horn to a button on the side.

Think another member recently posted this problem on delivery too. However, I would only ask them to fix it if it really bothers you. You have to consider that if they replace your bumper, you’ll risk other parts not aligning correctly (ie. headlights and fender gaps - at least one other member complained about this after Tesla replaced their bumper). If you can’t see it unless you have your head below the bumper, I would just leave it alone. Plus scratches like those are eventually going to happen, especially if you always drive around in low suspension setting. Of course if it bothers you or is visible from the front, then ask them to fix it now.
I agree. And Tesla told me to expect 3 months if I wanted a new bumper.

Has everyone who took delivery looked underneath their front bumper with great detail? I really didn’t, but after looking at my PPF under the front lip to see how it was curing (a different event of its own) I noticed some scratching and scuffing in the lip and plastic cover/diffuser :(. I reported it to Tesla through service appointment asking for replacement of the front bumper and diffuser. The appointment is scheduled but no estimate of repair there yet. I’ve had the car for just over a week when noticing this and I have not hit anything or even come close to bottoming out. I’m quite meticulous when it comes to taking care of my cars.
So I might be the unpopular opinion here, but it is the underside of your car. Likely never being seen and only touched when you wash it. Why go through the hassle of changing it?

So I might be the unpopular opinion here, but it is the underside of your car. Likely never being seen and only touched when you wash it. Why go through the hassle of changing it?
I elected not to change the bumper. They buffed out what was in the clear coat and my PPF guy is going to finish the repair prior to PPF. That will be sufficient for an area I cannot see.