Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X forum flurry of activity for same reason: EDDs are going blank en masse.
So I think I have figured out the process Tesla follows on the expected delivery.

it’s like making pizza - you have several pizzas going (aka car reservation batches) and so you look for flour (body), water (battery and motors) and yeast (interior) for them. At that stage, your delivery is some arbitrary future date that you know is wrong because you haven’t proofed the dough as yet.

now when the dough is made fresh (aka procurement initiated for all the materials), your delivery goes blank, because you don’t know which dough ball will be made first - yes you have the dough balls, but which unlucky bastard will be made last - you don’t know that!

now when all the dough balls are proofed (materials in stock at the factory), you lay them out in a line and depending on if you’re a right handed person or a left handed person, you know which way you’ll go - dough ball #1, vs dough ball #last. That is when you assign a potential delivery window to the pizza - aka car

now the shift changes and the other dude coming to make the pizzas is left handed (assume you were right handed)! All of a sudden, doughball #last becomes doughball#1. There is now a glitch in the matrix and everything goes blank again for a bit until the new delivery time gets established for the left handed pizza dude!

then the shift changes again - process repeats! Eventually all the dough balls become pizzas, but we still haven’t addressed the toppings (aka wheels) !!!

see this is where it gets really interesting! Right handed pizza dude will shape some dough balls but put them aside in the parking lot because he ran outta pepperoni! Left handed pizza dude will (depending on if he’s a hard worker) either take right handed pizza dude’s shaped pies and put his own toppings on them or shape new dough balls!

irrespective of shift change, at some point there’s very few dough balls left and then the date range gets tighter! This is also why some lucky bastard gets his pizza within 10 minutes of ordering vs other unlucky bastards who have been in the middle of the batch and wait forever!

and that is how this car is made! Case solved!

Last edited:
Nobody seems to be complaining about the yoke anymore? Much ado about nothing?

Not really, there are still whiners out there. Sone do not even own it yet. They are telling me how crazy I am for being ok with it after 10k miles.

The latest update improves the buttons considerably.

So I think I have figured out the process Tesla follows on the expected delivery.

it’s like making pizza - you have several pizzas going (aka car reservation batches) and so you look for flour (body), water (battery and motors) and yeast (interior) for them. At that stage, your delivery is some arbitrary future date that you know is wrong because you haven’t proofed the dough as yet.

now when the dough is made fresh (aka procurement initiated for all the materials), your delivery goes blank, because you don’t know which dough ball will be made first - yes you have the dough balls, but which unlucky bastard will be made last - you don’t know that!

now when all the dough balls are proofed (materials in stock at the factory), you lay them out in a line and depending on if you’re a right handed person or a left handed person, you know which way you’ll go - dough ball #1, vs dough ball #last. That is when you assign a potential delivery window to the pizza - aka car

now the shift changes and the other dude coming to make the pizzas is left handed (assume you were right handed)! All of a sudden, doughball #last becomes doughball#1. There is now a glitch in the matrix and everything goes blank again for a bit until the new delivery time gets established for the left handed pizza dude!

then the shift changes again - process repeats! Eventually all the dough balls become pizzas, but we still haven’t addressed the toppings (aka wheels) !!!

see this is where it gets really interesting! Right handed pizza dude will shape some dough balls but put them aside in the parking lot because he ran outta pepperoni! Left handed pizza dude will (depending on if he’s a hard worker) either take right handed pizza dude’s shaped pies and put his own toppings on them or shape new dough balls!

irrespective of shift change, at some point there’s very few dough balls left and then the date range gets tighter! This is also why some lucky bastard gets his pizza within 10 minutes of ordering vs other unlucky bastards who have been in the middle of the batch and wait forever!

and that is how this car is made! Case solved!
Very nice. I like the original thought you put in deciphering the Tesla EDD protocol. I wish they had a policy of only hiring either left-handed or right-handed pizza makers that will eliminate half of the problem we face.

It takes a little getting used on slow and sharp turns, but I like the way it points/drives in general. As for the buttons, I may be an outlier, but I really like the way the turn signals work and where they are. I'm still having to think more about the horn, but I don't use it much anyway.

I agree except I don’t think the horn is well thought out.

Not really, there are still whiners out there. Sone do not even own it yet. They are telling me how crazy I am for being ok with it after 10k miles.

The latest update improves the buttons considerably.

Awesome, glad to hear software updates are improving the yoke. What version are you on?

Ordered Sep 26 2020, got auto converted to Plaid in June with a July estimate. August 1st changed to blank for a couple weeks then went to a February estimate.

Now says Oct 15th to Nov 4th.
And back to blank...
Like others have been reporting I now have an EDD again on my white seat order. Looks to be a slightly earlier range than others maybe due to my SoCal location.

Nov 2 - Nov 22.

This morning it updated to Oct 16 - Nov 5th. Right back to where I was three updates ago...

Plaid White/white/carbon fiber/19"
RN11399

It takes a little getting used on slow and sharp turns, but I like the way it points/drives in general. As for the buttons, I may be an outlier, but I really like the way the turn signals work and where they are. I'm still having to think more about the horn, but I don't use it much anyway.

The horn is the one thing I am not sold on either but never really use it.

I would be curious what manual loads from your My Tesla account. There is this link for an older one, but older than your car. So they need something in between.
That is likely the manual (or nearly so) that applied to my S 70D, as new, in 2015. That one stops at p. 141 and begins with an index. The latest 2021 manual continues to p. 225, and then has disclaimers, declarations of conformity, and troubleshooting alerts, all of which are not present in the 5.9 (2014 era) manual.
Clearly, there are many more nuances and explanations in the 2021 version. For example, the 2021 adds a detailed explanation on how to jump start the 12v battery, while the old 5.9, 2014 version just says, "please call Tesla".

Strangely, I find the 2014 manual to more accurately describe the operation of voice commands (p. 37) than the corresponding language in the 2021 manual. In other words, the 2021 manual (p. 160) as was true since 2019, has an error in describing voice command operation.