Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
question...unless you are a real car enthusiast and speed junky (or aesthetic car junkie), I don't see why so many folks are getting the 21" wheels when you take a noticeable hit on range and comfort/ride...if stories on the ride comfort and battery hit are to be believed. It doesn't seem worth it for me (in my case).
At least where I live 21s also mean lots of tire buying/bent wheels. Maybe in Germany 21s would be OK but here in the Wild Wild West - home of the suspension shattering pot hole 21s are just too much grief.

Stumbled across this post from 10 years ago…I guess Elon no longer the QC guy is why we’re seeing all these issues today.
I am VERY grateful that I switched colors to take delivery in June. My car was one of the first and doesnt have any of the known issues (crosses fingers). Someone wise said if you dont get the first few hundred made, its best to wait until the next model year when the production issues have been resolved. Tesla is the only car company that I know of that will deliver "sugar" and hope the public doesnt notice. The public becomes the QC mechanism. Its mind boggling.

So my Plaid will be able to take on this peacock?!View attachment 710158
View attachment 710159
Goregous (but crazy expensive $700k) V12 Ferrari 812, but low TQ output. 1/4 mi. around 10.5 sec. and 0-60mph in ~ 2.7-2.9 sec. The Ferrari SF90 hybrid is actually much quicker/faster than this beast. And of course, the Tesla MS Plaid is even quicker! :cool:

At least where I live 21s also mean lots of tire buying/bent wheels. Maybe in Germany 21s would be OK but here in the Wild Wild West - home of the suspension shattering pot hole 21s are just too much grief.

These are very robust for such low side wall protection. I have hit pot holes and have not any damage. Not saying that it will not happen or that the 19" is more protection, but personally I have had zero issues for over 10k miles.

Goregous (but crazy expensive $700k) V12 Ferrari 812, but low TQ output. 1/4 mi. around 10.5 sec. and 0-60mph in ~ 2.7-2.9 sec. The Ferrari SF90 hybrid is actually much quicker/faster than this beast. And of course, the Tesla MS Plaid is even quicker! :cool:
Drive it on Saturday. An incredible automobile, the quality of the materials and build was epic.

Attachments

• 54C40612-ACEA-469C-AF7C-955549D68F3B.jpeg
    54C40612-ACEA-469C-AF7C-955549D68F3B.jpeg
    593.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 6FBEA20D-1AA4-41CC-B93B-E3067B14B9D3.jpeg
    6FBEA20D-1AA4-41CC-B93B-E3067B14B9D3.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 59
  • C8CB6AF2-70CE-4D62-937F-ECFB708C272E.jpeg
    C8CB6AF2-70CE-4D62-937F-ECFB708C272E.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 66
These are very robust for such low side wall protection. I have hit pot holes and have not any damage. Not saying that it will not happen or that the 19" is more protection, but personally I have had zero issues for over 10k miles.
say what you will, but a "fist sized rock" (seemed bigger than that) took out two of their rims. Maybe they are drivable, they never said if it is leaking air or not.

I have replaced five wheels on my BMW 750 with M suspension. All potholes. Hope the 21s are better. Our 22” on our X do well.

Here is a really rare but awesome just posted official Tesla video, with a walkthrough and look at their glass design:
Fun fact: the vehicle he sits in at the beginning of the video and the end is the new MX.
Bonus fun fact: the windshield at 1:22 is almost without a doubt the Cybertruck's. Same lines, just with more of a curvature to it.

That’s why honest tint shops say not to tint the roof. It’s already 99 percent UV and IR treated

I have a order for a $119k plaid (was a plaid+ order) that also had FSD, but i hit the Remove FSD button to save a few bucks on taxes and maybe insurance etc. and the price in the paperwork pdfs still show $119k but without the FSD. Should be ok which I will confirm in about a week when I pick up.
Looks like you ordered prior to the 10k uptick. So now you have it at same price but no FSD.

My EDD just went from 10/16-11/5 to 9/16-9/30. No way in hell I’d take an end of quarter car. Besides, I will be out of country. So not sure what happens. End of line or next available.

I'm buying FSD for the 2nd time, as I just don't want to be in the position where I sell my model 3 and the beta is finally released to the wider audience. I don't think it's worth nearly 10k for the extra features they add currently. My Wife has a MY without FSD and we take that on road trips some times, and I'm not finding myself wanting any feature outside of lane change, and somewhat NOA for longer trips. However, I do see constant improvement over the past 3+ years and I'm excited to be on the bleeding edge of assisted driving technology. I do not believe that they will ever achieve remote summon capability but in the case they make those advancements and I'll be very happy with my decision to shell out an additional 10k. My first time around I had to upgrade for the 3k above the 5k EAP package. The reason I had a suspicion they would be releasing a new chip and that FSD entitled me to a free upgrade that in this case was worth 2k of the 3k purchase price. I'll say that is a fair deal.

I ordered at an opportune time right before the 10k increase, so at this point I am basically getting it for free as from what I am reading I can't remove it without adding the 10k increase. So makes my decision very easy, and one that I'm going to be content with even if we don't realize any type of actual hands off driving experience. I do have faith that we can get some level of autonomous highway driving however.

I plan on keeping the car for 7+ years and likely even 10+ so the investment makes the investment a bit easier as well.
Surprised they don't give everyone a free three month trial. Would think then the people who one, love it or two, get used to it would be more willing to pony up 10k. Or they don't because they know most would say, no thanks. Once it gets "better" I would not be surprised to see that model of three months free.

No offense but 0-60mph in 4.2 sec is hardly impressive these days. Had a Porsche Macan Turbo that did that with ~ 475HP. Something is off if your car has ~ 750HP and can’t hook up on a launch to run low-mid 3.x sec 0-60mph. Anyhow, enjoy! 😉 Btw - Dinan produces mediocre aftermarket tuning…super conservative, not aggressive for way too much $$. Before I had an AMG and GT-R, I was in the BMW tuning world but with an older 3-series. Wasn’t impressed with Dinan compared with other BMW tuning companies.

As someone who has had a suite at the Mod Hell Hotel I can say that the conservative approach that Dinan takes is what I liked - more performance painlessly. My Tesla is the only high performance car that I have ever owned that I have not modified and only because I can’t - it is literally saving me from myself.

That would be interesting if true. Not sure how one Tesla owner could prove that out though. You'd have to charge to 100% and then immediately get in the car and drive at a constant speed until the battery is completely dead on a completely flat track over and over again to get a reliable and repeatable range number, and then do it over again many times without the cover. Way too hard to actually test by a single owner in any sort of reliable way.
Car and Driver did a test at a track with the Model 3 and found that the Aero wheels increased range by 3.4%. Our Testing Shows Tesla Model 3 Aero Wheel Covers Really Do Improve Efficiency