Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird how Elon would miss such an easy opportunity to go under 9s. Spent Zero dollars on lightweight wheels.

I guess that’s why drag times went so much faster on their lightweight forged wheels….. wait, they actually didn’t, did they….

am I snarky and rude, yes. Am I wrong, no.

Many variables not mentioned or accounted for.

Density altitude

Road slope

Wind speed and direction

Miles on tires. Has the mold release been worn off?

Any one of these could add or detract a few hundreds of a second. And could together, possibly offset the theoretical advantages of lighter wheels.

the 19” Tempest is about 9 lbs lighter each wheel than the 2021 heavier Arachnids. times 4, and then times the factor of 1.6 suggested by the engineering article for wheel difference (even a bigger factor for tire difference) yields a ~57 lbs static weight savings equivalent. lighter weight forged wheels will yield even more.

A recent Plaid record 1/4 mile run at 9.08 was driven by a 130lb woman to save about 50-60 lbs from the weight of the average guy (they had other weight savings too).

50 lbs alone probably gets somewhere between half a tenth and just under a tenth in the 1/4. Tesla Plaid Channel found close to a tenth in the 1/8th with the lighter 19”, although the driver may have been about 40lbs lighter too, so the two together might explain the tenth.

Remove 50 lbs static or static equivalent 3 or 4 times (wheels, driver, backseat) and you get close to 8.x. in the 1/4

1632713675961.png

Last edited:
Took a ride tonight to the new Glendale Arizona Service Center. There were about 30 LR's in the lot all with 19" wheels. Only 1 white with white and it had wood interior. There was only 3 Plaids and not a 21" wheel in the place. The cars must have just gotten there as they were covered in dirt and rain spots. We have not had rain in months here. There must be lots of people who never come to TMC and comment with all those cars. We must be in the minority for sure.
I got a text message couple of weeks back for change of my delivery SC from Scottsdale to Glendale location. My ETA is still in Nov 4-24. LR/Red/Black/19/FSD

Many variables not mentioned or accounted for.

Density altitude

Road slope

Wind speed and direction

Miles on tires. Has the mold release been worn off?

Any one of these could add or detract a few hundreds of a second. And could together, possibly offset the theoretical advantages of lighter wheels.
You’re just conceding that the difference is so minor it can be negated by a few bugs committing suicide on the windshield. Take out the passenger seat and use a 100lb pilot and you’ll get better results.

I love forged wheels and I understand rotational inertia, I just shelled out over $7k on forged wheels and tires myself, but it has little impact on the Plaids 1/4mi.

1. Butler! I’ve used them.
2. Oh, bad experience.
3. Ha, ha, I’ve got a PhD from MIT, but can’t draw a straight line with a ruler. I am not changing my wheels myself.
I have had good experience with discount tires in Suwanee (Forsyth county)

I have been able to outsource all physical work except for taking out the trash.

What do you understand the factor of static equivalent weight to be for a roughly 20” diameter wheel? From what you wrote it would seem you understand it to be < 1 (i.e., “not so much”).
No, that’s not what that means. It can’t be less than 1. You understand that, right?

in my loose language, “not so much” just means not much of a factor.

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and bhzmark
the 19” Tempest is about 9 lbs lighter each wheel than the 2021 heavier Arachnids. times 4, and then times the factor of 1.6 suggested by the engineering article for wheel difference (even a bigger factor for tire difference) yields a ~57 lbs static weight savings equivalent. lighter weight forged wheels will yield even more.

A recent Plaid record 1/4 mile run at 9.08 was driven by a 130lb woman to save about 50-60 lbs from the weight of the average guy (they had other weight savings too).

50 lbs alone probably gets somewhere between half a tenth and just under a tenth in the 1/4. Tesla Plaid Channel found close to a tenth in the 1/8th with the lighter 19”, although the driver may have been about 40lbs lighter too, so the two together might explain the tenth.

Remove 50 lbs 3 or 4 times (wheels, driver, backseat) and you get close to 8.x. in the 1/4

View attachment 714788

You’re just conceding that the difference is so minor it can be negated by a few bugs committing suicide on the windshield. Take out the passenger seat and use a 100lb pilot and you’ll get better results.

I love forged wheels and I understand rotational inertia, I just shelled out over $7k on forged wheels and tires myself, but it has little impact on the Plaids 1/4mi.

Are we accounting for the difference in tire weight as well as wheel weight?

I have no dog, or even car yet, in this fight, but it would be interesting if the 19" wheel tire combo was not just cheaper and more efficient, but likely faster too.

Are we accounting for the difference in tire weight as well as wheel weight?

I have no dog, or even car yet, in this fight, but it would be interesting if the 19" wheel tire combo was not just cheaper and more efficient, but likely faster too.
I understand that it’s the wheel/tire combo, not sure about the other guys understanding of anything

I understand that it’s the wheel/tire combo, not sure about the other guys understanding of anything

We should be aware of the pitfalls of qualitative vs quantitave assessment.

Qualitatively, I feel without any data to back it up, that the difference in wheel weights will make a small difference in 1/4 mile performance, say a few tenths of a second

Quantitavely, I think we need to have the polar moment of inertia of the two tire/wheel combinations to calculate the power required to accelerate them to the final rpms.

Finally the day is here
Missing a few things and noticed a few things:
License plate frame
Floor mats
Back carpet not sticking to ground
Trunk sounds loud when opening
Privacy flap
Small side trunk cover missing

that’s all I found SO far. Paint looks great.
Did they tell you by when you'll be getting those mising parts?
Did they give you a written note about the missing items?
Did they allow you to inspect before paper work?
If yes, how much approx time they give you for the inspection?
For pre-paper work inspection do they allow you to inspect interior or only exterior?
Do they allow you to test drive during pre-paper work inspection?
I am planning to pay cash, do you know whether they accept personal or cashier check? Sorry for so many questions, keep us posted if you've any furher observation...I've mid May order with Nov 4-24 ETA, MSLR/Red/Black/19/FSD. enjoy the new car.