Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had RaceDeck flooring for a little over 15 years and only now is it starting to show it's age....cost about 1.3k for the main garage and half of the side one.
yea. I looked at the racedeck too. these guys manufacturer both I believe. I wanted the flow through rather than the solid because of the amount of rain we get here. my epoxy I have down would just be too slick at times. this design gives a good look. all in about $1600 for about 575 sq ft.

Okay, fine, but then how do I get them installed? I’m thinking about swapping in new tires, but….

edit: …I don’t know what I’m saying. I mean wheels.
The tire store you end up using will swap for you. If you go with someplace like Tire Rack the can refer you to a local tire store that can handle the swap. There is nothing special about Tesla that a competent tire store cannot handle--the only thing you need to remind them of is the lift points.

The tire store you end up using will swap for you. If you go with someplace like Tire Rack the can refer you to a local tire store that can handle the swap. There is nothing special about Tesla that a competent tire store cannot handle--the only thing you need to remind them of is the lift points.
Well, the nuts are torqued to 129lbft. Most shop’s air wrenches are set to 80lbft.

So have you been able to determine if the 19” All Season tires are noisier? Some have been reporting of a hum/noise.
Yeah, I managed to test today before I put the 21s on--this was with the NIOSH app on my iPhone mounted on the windshield near the mirror.

1632702089206.png

The Michelin PSAS4 was a bit quieter on streets and about the same on freeways, there later I think is mostly because wind noise is a bigger factor that road noise at that point--really waiting to have the ANC enabled.

Beyond noises levels, there was nothing odd or notable about the tire noise. Just a reminder, this is not the AS tire Tesla is providing.

Depends on if the acceleration is traction limited or torque limited. If the car can supply more torque than the tires have traction the mass of the wheels doesn’t matter.
any traction issue in a Tesla is usually over within the first 60 feet. The remaining 1000 feet are not about traction but about power to move mass. moving less mass, especially less rotational mass, will be faster.

any traction issue in a Tesla is usually over within the first 60 feet. The remaining 1000 feet are not about traction but about power to move mass. moving less mass, especially less rotational mass, will be faster.
Mass of the vehicle yes, rotational inertia, not so much

Ok. Which part of this is wrong? And why exactly?

This is the summary:

“Shaving a pound from your tires is equivalent to shaving at most 2 pounds of non-rotating weight. That's PER TIRE, so a pound off each tire could worth close to 8 pounds of weight reduction. For wheels, the multiplier is closer to 1.6, so saving 5 pounds per wheel (20 total) would feel like a static weight reduction of 32 pounds. For brake discs, it can be as low as 1.2. Regardless of the equivalent weight ratio, you're best off reducing weight as much as possible, as you might expect.”

Mass of the vehicle yes, rotational inertia, not so much

Ok. Which part of this is wrong? And why exactly?

This is the summary:

“Shaving a pound from your tires is equivalent to shaving at most 2 pounds of non-rotating weight. That's PER TIRE, so a pound off each tire could worth close to 8 pounds of weight reduction. For wheels, the multiplier is closer to 1.6, so saving 5 pounds per wheel (20 total) would feel like a static weight reduction of 32 pounds. For brake discs, it can be as low as 1.2. Regardless of the equivalent weight ratio, you're best off reducing weight as much as possible, as you might expect.”
Yes 0 weight would be best. I didn’t say it has no effect, I said not so much. 32lb static reduction gets you what in the 1/4mi?

Not sure if this is true about the plaid...seems like it pulls more than 1g for quite a while...