Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a Q for those that might know - I'm in NJ so may vary from state to state - but if I want custom plates (actually, I don't care about the letters, I want the LE - law enforcement - it costs a few dollars more, contributes towards law enforcement funds (i think families of those officers who are killed) but also from a selfish stand point, I think MIGHT help in the ticket arena.
so, evetually I do what i need to to pay T (Plaid, whatever) and somehow someway i get a temp plate, and suppose I pay some registration/plate fees - any idea how i request a special plate, or do i just get the temp plates and then do the special plate on my own?
thanks for any suggestions!

My hope with the our MS LR on order, that I could get a realistic 300 miles on the highway at 75-80 mph with maybe using the AC and in fairly warm weather. At least for the first year or two until the pack starts to degrade.
Done a few 600 mile day trips in my previous Model S and can attest to the fact that you can get 300 miles at around 75 degrees in warm weather. Do not test your luck in cold weather.

Do not test your luck in winter. Tried the same trip in winter and I rolled into the Supercharger with 6%. Previous trip, in the summer was >20%. Roughly 30 - 40 mile difference.

Reading through the recent quality issues is sad. They should be past a lot of this. The paint issues I've seen in the last 10 pages or so, embarrassing. WTF on a 100k car. Probably going to resist delivery if the EDD window actually holds up this month. Or bail on the Plaid and take a LR and try again in a year or two with the inevitable product update. Its ok if the car doesn't have the style and construction of a Taycan, but damn at least put together what you got better than this! I want the "flagship" model as Elon called it. But my MYP is put together better than all of these deliveries I'm seeing. I feel like I'm sitting on a gem, and that's silly comparing to a 100k car.
You are going to see more posts about issues than posts about no issues. It is human nature. If you can "pre-inspect" your car before your delivery date, maybe that can help edge your decision one way or another.

Woke up to disappointment our May 6 order of a LR White on White which has been pushed back to Jan 6 to Feb 3. Was to be used for a road trip end of December to get away from Chicago winter and come back in March. Looks like we will be taking our 2018 Model 3. Was really looking forward to the extended range. 1600 miles each way with 3 dogs would have been nicer with faster charging car and few less stops.

so, evetually I do what i need to to pay T (Plaid, whatever) and somehow someway i get a temp plate, and suppose I pay some registration/plate fees - any idea how i request a special plate, or do i just get the temp plates and then do the special plate on my own?
So I can give you the process in Texas.

You register and pay your taxes just like any other person and you get issued a set of "standard" license plates. In advance of that, you order special plates (website on the DMV government site) and they get sent to the county tax office. Once they arrive, the county will re-assign the special plates to you and your vehicle and send you on your way.

Essentially, you end up with four plates. Seems like a massive hassle and waste of issuing a set of standard plates if I told you I am getting "vanity" plates. But nothing in government is efficient.

Woke up to disappointment our May 6 order of a LR White on White which has been pushed back to Jan 6 to Feb 3. Was to be used for a road trip end of December to get away from Chicago winter and come back in March. Looks like we will be taking our 2018 Model 3. Was really looking forward to the extended range. 1600 miles each way with 3 dogs would have been nicer with faster charging car and few less stops.
Hopefully it is just the delivery glitch where it pushes you out just before you get a VIN.

Last edited:
so in honor of the new UI, i went with the dark tmc2022 theme. supposedly easier to read, not sure yet.
I already know i don't like the need to click to see someone's reaction score, where they are from, etc. - i liked it below the signatures.
sigh, that's progress! :)
Yep.........progress! Get used to one thing and they throw you a yoke?

Lots of comments here about battery degradation. Give us some numbers, please.
Well........I sorta agree with him.......in the summer. When I bought my car in 2018, it was rated at 315 miles. Almost 4 years later it seems to think it has anywhere from 300 to 305 miles on any given day. But the way I drive my car now (after having "experienced" many launches for myself and friends), I regularly get from 370-395 on a full charge, depending. Now THAT is in the summer. In the winter, it would be nice to have the longer ranges now seen from the newer cars because of the ambient temperature being lower. Especially on MY car as it utilizes electric resistance heat instead of the current heat pumps. In the summer, I get around 260-280 wh/m and in the winter (if I remember) that figure rises to 310-340. Yeah...I know I could cut that back somewhat by not using the heater and instead just using the seat heaters, but my wife enjoys being comfortable and I only keep the heater at 70° in the winter. And of course, I have free unlimited supercharging which will go the way of the Thylacine as soon as I pull the trigger on that Plaid+ with 4680s. 😁😁

Here's a Q for those that might know - I'm in NJ so may vary from state to state - but if I want custom plates (actually, I don't care about the letters, I want the LE - law enforcement - it costs a few dollars more, contributes towards law enforcement funds (i think families of those officers who are killed) but also from a selfish stand point, I think MIGHT help in the ticket arena.
thanks for any suggestions!
I got mine (in NJ) from the NJ MVC website. Ordered from there, waited for what felt like an eternity, and one day my custom plates showed up in the mail, lol

Don't know what to think of a guy that says, "you'd like my muscle gun?" Not sure which way your screen door swings? But it's all good. I was just calling you because you missed calling me to tell me I should do a "she said thing." If you can't keep up with your job TMC might have to consider replacing you? ;);)
Oh I got it mate lol😀

Here. Not advertising here. This really is part of my warm up prior to playing.

I was trying to be provocative 😀

I wish Tesla Model S came with soft close doors. I now know that I need to shut them harder, but my passengers never do. Soft close doors would help solve that issue.
I recall that there is an aftermarket soft-close product for the legacy S...I'd pay for it for the Plaid. At this price point (Plaid at least), it's sorely lacking.

My credit approval expires for the 4th time this year.
SA that called me on the phone said “well if you have good credit you dont have to worry about it, but you will have to re run your credit or else we have to push you to the back of the line.”
However, I’m afraid too many inquires will impact my odds of approval. Is it possible to have them still make the car, deliver it and then once the car is at the tesla dealership to then run my credit? Instead of running my credit for the 5th time and then wait another 3 months for delay like that happened to me?
I heard you can do as “cash” payment and they will still put the order on que?

Oh… i see we have the same config almost. Yeah same here … pushed back till Jan-February as well

My credit approval expires for the 4th time this year.
SA that called me on the phone said “well if you have good credit you dont have to worry about it, but you will have to re run your credit or else we have to push you to the back of the line.”
However, I’m afraid too many inquires will impact my odds of approval. Is it possible to have them still make the car, deliver it and then once the car is at the tesla dealership to then run my credit? Instead of running my credit for the 5th time and then wait another 3 months for delay like that happened to me?
I heard you can do as “cash” payment and they will still put the order on que?
Yes, you can pick any finance option (including cash), and your SA can always reset it later. If you pick cash, then once you're matched to a VIN call the SA to have them change it to finance, and fill it out then. That action won't unmatched you, so just wait until then.