Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks, sorry to hear. I keep perseverating (i love that word!) - i bought an SSD, which i then cancelled (may still get delivered). Then I bought 2 endurance max or something like that SD cards, and adapters - one card is 32gb for music, and the adapter cost $1 more than the card! the other one is 256gb, and rated for heat, cold and a lot of writes and extreme conditions.
reviewer or pontiff one says ssd is the way to go, avoid sd (tf) cards
reviewer or pontiff two says ssds are bad, and sd (tf) cards are "the way"
i'm completely confused.
i will say, the tesla manual talked about SD cards and NOT ssd.
SO, i'm hoping the SD card works, and if not, i'll return it. another option, is get a new sd card every year for safety - i want sentry footage when i need it, like if an old lady backs into my bumper....
I'd return the SD -cards-. The only thing that works is a thumb drive (like the one Tesla provides) or an external drive (SSD) that can plug in via USB-A (glovebox) or USB-C (center console). Cards might work, but would need their own special adapter.

If it's helpful, I use a Samsung T7 and it's been solid since getting it (in glovebox).

thanks, sorry to hear. I keep perseverating (i love that word!) - i bought an SSD, which i then cancelled (may still get delivered). Then I bought 2 endurance max or something like that SD cards, and adapters - one card is 32gb for music, and the adapter cost $1 more than the card! the other one is 256gb, and rated for heat, cold and a lot of writes and extreme conditions.
reviewer or pontiff one says ssd is the way to go, avoid sd (tf) cards
reviewer or pontiff two says ssds are bad, and sd (tf) cards are "the way"
i'm completely confused.
i will say, the tesla manual talked about SD cards and NOT ssd.
SO, i'm hoping the SD card works, and if not, i'll return it. another option, is get a new sd card every year for safety - i want sentry footage when i need it, like if an old lady backs into my bumper....
For your edification, I have been using an SSD with adapter for over two years and it has operated flawlessly. The three most common types of memory used for SSDs are TLC (triple-level cell), MLC (multi-level cell) and SLC (single-level cell). You want to use mSATA III MLC. There are many of these on the market manufactured by several different corporations, you need to find one with the size you want. Just make sure it's mSATA III MLC and you won't have a problem. The one I am currently using is a Recadata 128 gb SSD. I can't find this particular brand, but there are others including Intel, Samsung and Seagate.

For your edification, I have been using an SSD with adapter for over two years and it has operated flawlessly. The three most common types of memory used for SSDs are TLC (triple-level cell), MLC (multi-level cell) and SLC (single-level cell). You want to use mSATA III MLC. There are many of these on the market manufactured by several different corporations, you need to find one with the size you want. Just make sure it's mSATA III MLC and you won't have a problem. The one I am currently using is a Recadata 128 gb SSD. I can't find this particular brand, but there are others including Intel, Samsung and Seagate.
I’ve been using this since delivery with no problems. I think this might be the same as @AnselmDante ? If so, I guess YMMV.

SanDisk 500GB Extreme Portable SSD - Up to 1050MB/s - USB-C, USB 3.2 Gen 2 - External Solid State Drive - SDSSDE61-500G-G25 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GTXVG9...abc_EK5HPH8WH9ZQZ4JVMYJC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve been using this since delivery with no problems. I think this might be the same as @AnselmDante ? If so, I guess YMMV.

SanDisk 500GB Extreme Portable SSD - Up to 1050MB/s - USB-C, USB 3.2 Gen 2 - External Solid State Drive - SDSSDE61-500G-G25 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GTXVG9...abc_EK5HPH8WH9ZQZ4JVMYJC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Have the same one, but have not yet tried it. Cars sitting at detailer, with the USB provided by Tesla. Will be changing out to my SSD upon pickup. Will keep the USB handy instead the SSD goes sideways.

Ok, the MSLR white/cream is home.
Panel gaps are not the best but acceptable.
I have to agree that, in the absence of actually having driven the Plaid, the MSLR is really kinda fast :)

Brakes feel better than my Plaid (???????) which really does not make sense. Initial bite is better and stopping is aggressive in comparison to the banana peel on glass brakes on the Plaid. Time to ask the Service Center what is going on.

My wife and I are happy campers and wish all that are still waiting a pleasant Christmas surprise.

Fun fact about the new remote live camera microphone:

I tried playing with it while standing next to my car. When I activated the live camera, the music that was playing when I left the car started playing from the external speaker. When I pressed the microphone button, I could speak, but it was being drowned out by the music. I had to go in the car, turn off the music, and then leave the car again. Tesla needs to fix this. How can I harass a passerby with my condescending comments, if instead it plays Baby Got Back...

I'd return the SD -cards-. The only thing that works is a thumb drive (like the one Tesla provides) or an external drive (SSD) that can plug in via USB-A (glovebox) or USB-C (center console). Cards might work, but would need their own special adapter.

If it's helpful, I use a Samsung T7 and it's been solid since getting it (in glovebox).
Thank you and to the others who responded.
I am SO DAMNED CONFUSED/TORN
I bought an SSD, and then hit cancel (may still come)
I bought 2 SandDisk MAX Endurance microSDHC (transflash) cards - they claim they can handle whatever i throw at them. I figured the 256GB would give me some overhead from all the sentry writes. the 32gb might satisfy my music juju. bought some adapters, and 90 degree usb-c adapters for the music.
i also bought (and tried to cancel) the SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD - NVMe solid state performance - doesn't say how many writes, versus the MAX Endurance claims of 120,000 hours over 13 years.
I am completely confused.
I also am unsure, i know you can partition the larger drives, if you have it in your glovebox for sentry, can you also pull music off it, or is music only at the front USB-C ports?
I looked into the T5 and T7. some folks said the T7 ran hot. and i think the T5 is still being sold by Tesla 3rd party sources. slower throughput, but I think the car is still limited to USB 2.0 speeds even with the C interface.
Again, I appreciate any help - i'm not trying to be contrarian or stubborn. the SSD made more sense to me, but if a little card can do it, and withstand better temperature ranges, that is a boon as well. i will say if the SSD is 1TB (and if i can keep a single partition) that shoudl allow 4 times the amount of writes as on the SD card unless the SD card has different tech.
again, torn and confused.
the tesla monkey has destroyed my brain!!!!! (that, and checking for a VIN every 27.3 minutes)

Thank you and to the others who responded.
I am SO DAMNED CONFUSED/TORN
I bought an SSD, and then hit cancel (may still come)
I bought 2 SandDisk MAX Endurance microSDHC (transflash) cards - they claim they can handle whatever i throw at them. I figured the 256GB would give me some overhead from all the sentry writes. the 32gb might satisfy my music juju. bought some adapters, and 90 degree usb-c adapters for the music.
i also bought (and tried to cancel) the SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD - NVMe solid state performance - doesn't say how many writes, versus the MAX Endurance claims of 120,000 hours over 13 years.
I am completely confused.
I also am unsure, i know you can partition the larger drives, if you have it in your glovebox for sentry, can you also pull music off it, or is music only at the front USB-C ports?
I looked into the T5 and T7. some folks said the T7 ran hot. and i think the T5 is still being sold by Tesla 3rd party sources. slower throughput, but I think the car is still limited to USB 2.0 speeds even with the C interface.
Again, I appreciate any help - i'm not trying to be contrarian or stubborn. the SSD made more sense to me, but if a little card can do it, and withstand better temperature ranges, that is a boon as well. i will say if the SSD is 1TB (and if i can keep a single partition) that shoudl allow 4 times the amount of writes as on the SD card unless the SD card has different tech.
again, torn and confused.
the tesla monkey has destroyed my brain!!!!! (that, and checking for a VIN every 27.3 minutes)
Sorry but why not just use the 128GB that it comes with?

Ok, the MSLR white/cream is home.
Panel gaps are not the best but acceptable.
I have to agree that, in the absence of actually having driven the Plaid, the MSLR is really kinda fast :)

Brakes feel better than my Plaid (???????) which really does not make sense. Initial bite is better and stopping is aggressive in comparison to the banana peel on glass brakes on the Plaid. Time to ask the Service Center what is going on.

My wife and I are happy campers and wish all that are still waiting a pleasant Christmas surprise.
Very odd indeed since as far as I know they have identical braking systems. If it means anything to you my Plaid never felt like a banana peel on glass....

I keep getting an error saying my SSD is not plugged in, and I cannot figure out how to solve that problem. This is apparently a common issue with Tesla. So right now I would say I am not satisfied. 😛
I have been getting that error with the USB stick too. A week ago I pushed it in and out until I felt satisfied that anything on the contacts was worn away. No errors since.

Sorry but why not just use the 128GB that it comes with?
Thanks not a bad question - i'm concerned that it is a realtively small size and subject to write failures, and I imagine the larger sizes would just be a good thing. Tesla recommends the largest storage you can get, and I read about folks having the tesla USB get corrupted, so I wanted to avoid that.
But at this point, I'm so frazzled I truly don't know which way to turn.
I cancelled the SSD after reading the attached in the manual - it didn't mention SSDs unless I misread, and seemed to like flash drives or cards...
1638828068232.png

Thanks not a bad question - i'm concerned that it is a realtively small size and subject to write failures, and I imagine the larger sizes would just be a good thing. Tesla recommends the largest storage you can get, and I read about folks having the tesla USB get corrupted, so I wanted to avoid that.
But at this point, I'm so frazzled I truly don't know which way to turn.
I cancelled the SSD after reading the attached in the manual - it didn't mention SSDs unless I misread, and seemed to like flash drives or cards...
View attachment 741383

An SSD is basically a big flash drive, so I don't think they'd call it out specifically. The bullets under "USB Flash Drive" basically describe the T7 (or any other SSD).

That's not to say a microSD won't work (it should, given Tesla's own documentation), but I'm a fan of removing potential failure points/connections where possible. Having a card reader in-between the card (storage device) and the car means that if something goes wrong, you have to diagnose the card, the card reader, and the car.

FWIW, I used the Tesla provided thumb/flash drive until it stopped working one week after pickup. I would probably have stuck with it otherwise, but I'm happy with the SSD.

Lots of comments here about battery degradation. Give us some numbers, please.
Car and Driver lost 7% of their M3 in about 24k miles. Tesla claims I think you shouldn't lose more than 10% in the first 100k miles. Based on data I saw, the loss is biggest at first and for the S/X lost about 5% in the first 20k miles. Heavy supercharger use and if charging to 100% all the time will likely make that worse.

• Helpful
Reactions: EndlessPlaid