Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone visiting Mt. Kisco SC in next few days please DM me…

In the #BOHICA category, after rejecting Frankenstein Plaid delivery on 11/30 (dented LR trunk lid on Plaid), I asked my account to be put on hold until Jan 7th due to combination of planned work and extended holiday travel. Three days after arriving in Hawaii (#firstworldproblems) I receive the Tesla HQ email that if my account doesn’t come off of hold by 12/29 my order will be cancelled. To their credit, my SA consulted with SC manager and they said they would pull me off of hold on 12/29 and manage the VIN if I’m assigned one (unmatch me). Sure enough I was assigned a VIN on 12/29 (MF454…same as my rejected Plaid, but a few hundred earlier than the one I rejected). I was hoping that I would be unmatched and this 2021 would go away in the waning days of 2021…but to my chagrin the SA said they will keep the Plaid for delivery when I’m back from holiday next week. So I’m sure this was a scratch & dent given how long it’s been since production, but my only choice will be to reject it and lose my $10k ”discount” to current pricing. I would appreciate inspection from a TMC friend who might be in the neighborhood over next several days. I’d hate to go through the full preparation process if this one should be rejected. @scrapps @pshifrin @Emiller ?

My SA said the Plaid is offsite but had the offsite team send photos inside and out. He forwarded them to me and the gaps and seats look good at least from the six photos they sent. I may have truly earned the LAST MF plate. Will pick it up next Friday.

This is also offered as an example of truly responsive service at some SCs. Zach at Mt Kisco has always been responsive other than on his off days. And his email always has an out of office for his off days. Truly a good egg.

My SA said the Plaid is offsite but had the offsite team send photos inside and out. He forwarded them to me and the gaps and seats look good at least from the six photos they sent. I may have truly earned the LAST MF plate. Will pick it up next Friday.

This is also offered as an example of truly responsive service at some SCs. Zach at Mt Kisco has always been responsive other than on his off days. And his email always has an out of office for his off days. Truly a good egg.
Love a good egg. My Loyalty Advisor is one too. Very responsive, very understanding. And follows-up with what he committed too.

I watch the video in the article you linked, it was a tesla issue and tesla replaced his bumper under warranty. Unless your wrapper/PPF person is using cheap material this shouldn't happen.

Agreed. I had them "adjust" the front bumper and two rear fenders' PPF. They completely removed and applied new film. No issues.

As far as worth to me - absolutely. Did not think that until after 1 month of ownership and saw the peppering the fenders and doors were getting from the these tires and rocks - even though I was not driving aggressively. Until that time, I sat and made fun of you guys for spending that kind of money on Saran Wrap for your cars.

You’re taking a 2021? Remind me again, why?

You’re taking a 2021? Remind me again, why?
I could pass on the 2021 and pay full freight for an identical 2022, or wait an unknown # of months and shoot for a refreshed refresh, but that risks another price increase. At this point I’d prefer to take a 2021 with my original lower price that also passes inspection. In 5-7 years there will likely be a structural refresh that will be attractive to me.

I could pass on the 2021 and pay full freight for an identical 2022, or wait an unknown # of months and shoot for a refreshed refresh, but that risks another price increase. At this point I’d prefer to take a 2021 with my original lower price that also passes inspection. In 5-7 years there will likely be a structural refresh that will be attractive to me.
But why are they matching you to a 2021, this late in the year? What happens if you reject this one for quality issues?

Agreed. I had them "adjust" the front bumper and two rear fenders' PPF. They completely removed and applied new film. No issues.

As far as worth to me - absolutely. Did not think that until after 1 month of ownership and saw the peppering the fenders and doors were getting from the these tires and rocks - even though I was not driving aggressively. Until that time, I sat and made fun of you guys for spending that kind of money on Saran Wrap for your cars.
Can you comment on the difference you noticed pre-PPF and post? Assume it’s been a noticeable improvement?

But why are they matching you to a 2021, this late in the year? What happens if you reject this one for quality issues?
1. Because they know if I refuse an acceptable vehicle I will lose the discount. Probably no one with a full price order will accept a 2021 at this point. Can’t blame them. I don’t like being played this way but I understand the Tesla strategy to push out remaining 2021s on the pre price increase RNs
2. I'll let you know next Friday.

Last edited:
Can you comment on the difference you noticed pre-PPF and post? Assume it’s been a noticeable improvement?

Here is a pic of mine at approx 10k miles before PPF. The white "specs" are where the blue paint has been chipped off. The detailer spent 3 hours touching up the bumper, fenders, doors, and polishing. After another 10k miles with the PPF, the surface is a little rough but teh PPF took the hits and the blue is still intact. I would just need a new application and it will still be good. My guess is that at some point, it will damage the PPF beyond repair and start into the paint again.

You can see where the factory PPF stops and there is substantial damage above it as well as on the rear doors.

ETA: I think a lot of this was due to the tires. The PS4S are very sticky and pick up every little pebble and debris. I could hear hit while just driving down a "clean" road. Now have the Pilot 4 A/S and it seems to not pick up as much. I have the PS4S wheels/tires in my garage. May put them back on (unless someone wants to buy them) next summer but would probably put the PS4 A/S on when available in that size.

1640901971142.png

ET

Last edited:
Here is a pic of mine at approx 10k miles before PPF. The white "specs" are where the blue paint has been chipped off. The detailer spent 3 hours touching up the bumper, fenders, doors, and polishing. After another 10k miles with the PPF, the surface is a little rough but teh PPF took the hits and the blue is still intact. I would just need a new application and it will still be good. My guess is that at some point, it will damage the PPF beyond repair and start into the paint again.

You can see where the factory PPF stops and there is substantial damage above it as well as on the rear doors.

View attachment 750145
Have you ever been out of your car other than to take this picture since you bought it? 20,000+ miles now!?!

Have you ever been out of your car other than to take this picture since you bought it? 20,000+ miles now!?!

Doesn't feel like but it is just that great of a car for road trips. We just did a 4 hour trip each way over to German Village (Schmidt's Sausage Haus is to die) for brats, stayed the night (free charger at hotel) and came back next day. Been through 13 states (would have made another 3 but thanks to a flat and the lack of the 21" tire availability, we missed out on that leg).

1. Because they know if I refuse an acceptable vehicle I will lose the discount. Probably no one with a full price order will accept a 2021 at this point. Can’t blame them. I don’t like being played this way but I understand the Tesla strategy to push out remaining 2021s on the pre price increase RNs
2. I'll let you know next Friday.
Maybe you can find some qc issues to bail on it.

May put them back on (unless someone wants to buy them) next summer but would probably put the PS4 A/S on when available in that size.
That's good to know re the PS4 A/S. I was wondering if they'd be as sticky. I'm getting the PS4 A/S installed on the Arachnids tomorrow (rear is finally out in 295/35/21).

Was a little dicey, but with no snow in Denver area this late into the year, it was a gamble that paid off to wait. The summer tires will probably sit in the garage indefinitely unless I buy a second set of 21" wheels.

Doesn't feel like but it is just that great of a car for road trips. We just did a 4 hour trip each way over to German Village (Schmidt's Sausage Haus is to die) for brats, stayed the night (free charger at hotel) and came back next day. Been through 13 states (would have made another 3 but thanks to a flat and the lack of the 21" tire availability, we missed out on that leg).
You almost have to have the most miles on any refreshed S. I'm pushing 13,000 and haven't really seen anyone with more aside from you.

Yeah, I agree with you on road trips in it, it's the best. I just drove my Bronco to Mammoth, around 700 miles round trip. It was fine and all, but for sitting on the freeway just passing miles I was definitely missing the S. For the 12' of snow that fell I was good with the Bronco.

That's good to know re the PS4 A/S. I was wondering if they'd be as sticky. I'm getting the PS4 A/S installed on the Arachnids tomorrow (rear is finally out in 295/35/21).

Was a little dicey, but with no snow in Denver area this late into the year, it was a gamble that paid off to wait. The summer tires will probably sit in the garage indefinitely unless I buy a second set of 21" wheels.

But that size adds over 1" to the overall diameter. I am waiting for the same 30 series size.

But that size adds over 1" to the overall diameter. I am waiting for the same 30 series size.
Yeah, good point - I considered and went with it anyway, as Michelin has not given a date for the 30 series release. They said Nov 1 way back when I originally emailed, but haven't given me any further information on 30 series.

In chatting with the tire guy, he said that clearance shouldn't be an issue (I default ride height to low) but that he'd let me test before he left.