Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla today to inquire about the whereabouts of my MS. I was hoping to see it early. The representative said not to accept the car in the app until I was finished with my inspection. When I picked up my Model Y, I asked the receptionist to unlock the car for my inspection. I paid with a cashiers check. Make sure they know if you’re transferring a tag.

Folks, if they won't open the doors for you so you can do a proper inspection, threaten to refuse delivery. This is unacceptable behavior, and we need to push back.
If I drive for over an hour to get to the Devon Pa Tesla store to inspect my car before payment and they refuse to let me thoroughly inspect, I will drive home in my old car.
Before I leave, I will give management one chance to correct the stupidity of this. I would really want to have them put it up on a lift but I know the insurance companies generally will not like that..

If I drive for over an hour to get to the Devon Pa Tesla store to inspect my car before payment and they refuse to let me thoroughly inspect, I will drive home in my old car.
Before I leave, I will give management one chance to correct the stupidity of this. I would really want to have them put it up on a lift but I know the insurance companies generally will not like that..

You might call your SA to let them know your expectations. Offer to meet them halfway, so to speak, by taking delivery during the week when the will be less busy.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I hope you have a good experience pickup up. I’m also taking delivery there. Hopefully in June.

I hope you have a good experience pickup up. I’m also taking delivery there. Hopefully in June.
I picked up at the end of August in Devon. They let me have as much time as I wanted before handing over cashiers check. If I recall, I spent over an hour. They were great about it. You should be fine.

What is the process of rejecting a vehicle? We take delivery on Monday, drove by the service center and did the exterior inspection today. Car has damages on the front left fender and scratches from the front fender all the way to the trunk. Also the front tail light is fogged with moisture. We purchased at the original price in May 2021, worried about losing our pricing. Tesla just contacted us this Morning saying pick up was available, have a strong feeling this was a reject vehicle. This mornings call was the first contact from tesla we’ve had.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Because Elon is the head of customer service.

And Elon said, when asked about poor service at a earnings call last year:

"The best service is no service"
Uhhh I was on all the calls last year and never heard him say this. I heard Zach Kirkhorn and the rest of the team say this on the call in which Elon was absent; the Q3 2021 call.
I recall them saying that they are trying to beef up service as much as possible, along with using the notion that the best service is no service, which does NOT mean the absence of service quality. It means making the cars themselves better, thus making them require less service.
When Elon says these types of things btw, he does not mean they should stay as they are, or be worse, he means that something else along the product line should step up and improve, thus making the process or part in question unnecessary.

Last edited:
What is the process of rejecting a vehicle? We take delivery on Monday, drove by the service center and did the exterior inspection today. Car has damages on the front left fender and scratches from the front fender all the way to the trunk. Also the front tail light is fogged with moisture. We purchased at the original price in May 2021, worried about losing our pricing. Tesla just contacted us this Morning saying pick up was available, have a strong feeling this was a reject vehicle. This mornings call was the first contact from tesla we’ve had.
I’d imagine you just tell them you’re not accepting the car and if you want give them a reason but I doubt you’d have to explain yourself. You get one more chance at a VIN assignment. I think there are enough people who, like me, will gladly accept a car regardless. So really no headaches for you or Tesla.

Whats a front tail light? either way, if noted, they usually will note it in the system, and order you a new/replacement light unit.
As far as the scratches: if the car hasnt been washed/detailed yet, I've seen where what appear to be scratches, are actually surface scuffs that are removed during the wash/prep phase.

Cant speak to the damage you reference on the fender, but I'd suggest letting them get the car ready first, then do you full/complete inspection. If not at your standards and/or they arent offering a satisfactory way to make that car right? Sure, reject.