Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was also forced from my M3P from an accident. Wouldn't have done it otherwise. Always wanted the S, but couldn't really justify it previously. Life changed and I got my way haha.
I drive 150mi/day 6 days a week. Generally with my M3P I would start at 90% and get home anywhere from 25-30%. This was rather annoying because if we wanted to go anywhere else that night or if I had to drive back to work that night I'd be forced to supercharge. Even if for 5 minutes it was rather annoying. When I got the car my commute was half so I did it to myself, but the extra range on the S makes a huge difference for me personally.

I am not nearly as perticular or specific as others. I've owned multiple porches and a few other random luxury cars and the S, to me blows them out of the water. From the 3, the seats are way more comfortable to sit in for long periods. Especially when you add the ventilation. The ride quality is much, much better. 95% of my driving is on AP with comfort suspension. I didn't really consider the 3 bumpy, but after the S I couldn't to back.

The cabin has to be 90% more quiet and I don't even have ANC yet as I hasn't gotten the update for it. Again, didn't think it was a big deal until I took a few phone calls and realized I didn't need to yell like I was before.

The 3 drives more "sporty" because it's smaller, but the performance increase above 60mph is extremely noticible for me. Most of my driving is above that range. I don't mind the bigger feel or the S, I personally like it better, but that is really subjective. On subjectivity, I don't think not having a dash screen mattered, but with the yoke and a dash screen now I can't go back. It makes things so much easier.

Overall, I wouldn't ever go back to a 3 or Y after the S. The overall feel and package are just so much better for me. Hopefully that made some sense, typed it on my phone at work. There have been a lot of others with better descriptions of the difference, but I would make the change 100/100 times if given the chance even with the higher price tag.
Agreed. The S is in a different league than the 3. As it should be for how much it costs more! And now that the absolutely crap headlights have been resolved, it’s much closer to the complete package it should have been near a year ago.

Riding around in this Model 3 again while waiting for a replacement car has really drawn attention to that ride quality/noise. It’s night and day better in the S.

Just like flat earth, some actually believe even though they can see it in front of them.

🤣

76D69C2F-077E-4707-ABAD-BDB9D39A7EED.jpeg

Now my point exactly here. My RN is 1151 and I ordered just the standard MSLR. He paid more for paint, wheels, FSD and he will get the car well before I do. I hate it when some people still ignorance about fact. Just like flat earth, some actually believe even though they can see it in front of them.
This argument is quite tenuous indeed and some have even said the theory has been debunked. We do not have scientific data to draw a statistically arguable conclusion. What you offer here is the example of you and one other person. That can be countered by the example of me with a fairly expensive order still waiting. What is a reasonable observation even without scientific data, anecdotal as it were, is that there are certain trends.
1. Regional patterns: You should be comparing yourself to people in your region per Tesla delivery regions. He’s in Utah, which actually does not seem to belong to any region but likely West Coast and you’re somewhere in Kent. I don’t know the region either.
2. PLAID orders clearly trump dual motor orders but unlikely that within the PLAID category the more expensive builds are favored.
3. Batched builds. @EndlessPlaid explained this a few pages back.
4. These apparent trends are distorted by changes to orders made long after the initial order, rejected deliveries, order holds. All these do not appear in the gross scanning of trends nor do people disclose these. Damn I wish I had the fortunes of the fellow who has rejected two cars in as many months.

Last edited:
This argument is quite tenuous indeed and some have even said the theory has been debunked. We do not have scientific data to draw a statistically arguable conclusion. What you offer here is the example of you and one other person. That can be countered by the example of me with a fairly expensive order still waiting. What is a reasonable observation even without scientific data, anecdotal as it were, is that there are certain trends.
1. Regional patterns: You should be comparing yourself to people in your region per Tesla delivery regions. He’s in Utah, which actually does not seem to belong to any region but likely West Coast and you’re somewhere in Kent. I don’t know the region either.
2. PLAID orders clearly trump dual motor orders but unlikely that within the PLAID category the more expensive builds are favored.
3. Batched builds. @EndlessPlaid explained this a few pages back.
4. These apparent trends are distorted by changes to orders made long after the initial order, rejected deliveries, order holds. All these do not appear in the gross scanning of trends nor do people disclose these. Damn I wish I had the fortunes of the fellow has has rejected two cars in as many months.
michael-scott-the-office.gif

I don’t know why Tesla would intentionally delay building older orders. With rising labor costs and rising hard costs, plus any added features over time, it seems to me the longer they delay building an order, the more it costs them to build.
Again, the ideology is that they're not "delaying" older builds. They're simply doing the most cost effective way to get cars out.
Region + similar build types, seems to be the biggest factor. In regards to similar builds, when it comes to Plaid/etc they favor more expensive builds obviously.

I don't understand why people thing businesses are just inherently evil.... I run a biz with my family, we raised our rates this year and people flipped out.
I'm sorry, my employees want raises, my cost of supplies/goods doubled or tripled in some areas, We're not greedy, it's just the way it works in the business world. We're even doing a 2x raise this year due to things we shouldn't get into on this forum xD

I was also forced from my M3P from an accident. Wouldn't have done it otherwise. Always wanted the S, but couldn't really justify it previously. Life changed and I got my way haha.
I drive 150mi/day 6 days a week. Generally with my M3P I would start at 90% and get home anywhere from 25-30%. This was rather annoying because if we wanted to go anywhere else that night or if I had to drive back to work that night I'd be forced to supercharge. Even if for 5 minutes it was rather annoying. When I got the car my commute was half so I did it to myself, but the extra range on the S makes a huge difference for me personally.

I am not nearly as perticular or specific as others. I've owned multiple porches and a few other random luxury cars and the S, to me blows them out of the water. From the 3, the seats are way more comfortable to sit in for long periods. Especially when you add the ventilation. The ride quality is much, much better. 95% of my driving is on AP with comfort suspension. I didn't really consider the 3 bumpy, but after the S I couldn't to back.

The cabin has to be 90% more quiet and I don't even have ANC yet as I hasn't gotten the update for it. Again, didn't think it was a big deal until I took a few phone calls and realized I didn't need to yell like I was before.

The 3 drives more "sporty" because it's smaller, but the performance increase above 60mph is extremely noticible for me. Most of my driving is above that range. I don't mind the bigger feel or the S, I personally like it better, but that is really subjective. On subjectivity, I don't think not having a dash screen mattered, but with the yoke and a dash screen now I can't go back. It makes things so much easier.

Overall, I wouldn't ever go back to a 3 or Y after the S. The overall feel and package are just so much better for me. Hopefully that made some sense, typed it on my phone at work. There have been a lot of others with better descriptions of the difference, but I would make the change 100/100 times if given the chance even with the higher price tag.
Thanks for the relatively comprehensive reply.

Hoping to be as sanguine about the S compared to M3P as you.

People that flip out over rising costs affecting what they pay for things are not living in the real world.
Yet that is most ppl. I run a small business too and my fees are set mostly by ins agencies and the federal government. Not the forum for it, but I’ll take any chance I can to bash government; my “raises” are hardly commensurate with the pace of inflation.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
The OEM paint and body shop paint will be different chemistries. The OEM crap is also baked, whereas the body shop paint is air cured. Add to this the fact they will have to blend the body shop paint to both fenders. All this for a small rock chip that the OP would likely get anyway from driving the car. Come in folks, you don’t choose to paint three or more panels because of a rock chip - out of principle that Tesla should deliver a perfect car. The other option is, of course, to just reject the VIN.
Indeed they are different chemistries. However, the refinish systems are not strictly air dried. The primer may be, the basecoat likely will be. But the clear, which does the real work of protection will be a catalyzed, 2-part product.

I do agree still agree that for a touch up sized repair I don’t think I’d want my hood painted and, as you mentioned, a likely blend into the fenders.

The EOQ can not come fast enough so that most of us in the other 90% of the country can start to get our VINs! West coast, enjoy the next 5 days because it is our turn next!

And just as you say that, a bunch of folks on the west coast will get VINs assigned early in April. 😆

SoCal. I. Just. Need. VIN. By. EOM. Car can wait!