Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 Vins already assigned, 2 delivery dates scheduled, 2 calls to insurance to change, 22k final payment paid (60 days to get that refunded fyi per service rep), super low interest rate via tesla
...to get pulled right out from me for reasons who knows.. now edd pushed even further out 7/27-8/17 and reaching end of the credit with them and then them holding my final payment smh

Not to mention - sold my model Y privately right before the attempted first delivery.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 Vins already assigned, 2 delivery dates scheduled, 2 calls to insurance to change, 22k final payment paid (60 days to get that refunded fyi per service rep), super low interest rate via tesla
...to get pulled right out from me for reasons who knows.. now edd pushed even further out 7/27-8/17 and reaching end of the credit with them and then them holding my final payment smh

Not to mention - sold my model Y privately right before the attempted first delivery.. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Welcome to The Tesla Buying Experience®

So sorry if you were expecting more.

Wondering about the news of Tesla removing key fobs and the use of summer tires only on deliveries after July 2nd. Both articles were on a Tesla Canada website, yet there has been no mention on Electrek or Teslarati about tires or fobs. As far as fobs go? YES, I want my damn fob! Why? Because of the principle fact that when I ordered the car back in October, Tesla and I were put under contract to exchange my money for their car as promised. No different than how the moble connector was handled, based upon time of order, the fob and tire selection should be delivered as promised.
Did anyone read about the "news:" anywhere else??
Understandable sentiment. But your contract (and mine since I ordered in November) with Tesla didn't include upgraded headlights/taillights, a swivel screen, or any of the running line changes/improvements in the car in the last eight months. When order to delivery times are this long, running changes and sometimes price increases are the norm from every manufacturer.

Myself, I would vastly prefer all-season tires since I drive all over the country. And I love my cute little car fob on my 2016 MS. But what is Tesla supposed to do...build yours exactly as it was ordered in October and mine exactly as ordered in November? The logistics on the assembly line would be somewhere between nightmarish and impossible.

Last edited:
EDD just updated to July 23-August 2!
So just popped into my local dealership and asked about the VIN and when I should expect to get delivery…. And he told me apparently they’ve been getting a bug that has been giving out false VINs for vehicles that don’t exist. He even searched up my VIN and it said vehicle not found. So the updated EDD is not valid and will probably revert back to November. :(

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Understandable sentiment. But your contract (and mine since I ordered in November) with Tesla didn't include upgraded headlights/taillights, a swivel screen, or any of the running line changes/improvements in the car in the last eight months. When order to delivery times are this long, running changes and sometimes price increases are the norm from every manufacturer.

Myself, I would vastly prefer all-season tires since I drive all over the country. And I love my cute little car fob on my 2016 MS. But what is Tesla supposed to do...build yours exactly as it was ordered in October and mine exactly as ordered in November? The logistics on the assembly line would be somewhere between nightmarish and impossible.
Understood. Strange that Tesla's website does not yet say the fob is available for ordering like the optional charging equipment. We will see what they remove next!

The Bluetooth key fobs take 30 seconds each to pair with the car, and don't involve cutting a blade or any sort of reprogramming like many other manufacturer's fobs. It wouldn't exactly be 'nightmarish' to throw those in at delivery for orders placed before xx date, just as they do with the mobile connector.
They don't even come preprogrammed to each car from the factory - for all of my refresh S/X deliveries, the delivery team grabbed new fobs from the office and paired them to the car through the touchscreen menu as I waited.

For what it's worth, my order is at current pricing, with upgraded lights and swivel displays already being included at that time. I'm not getting a discount off current MSRP and I'm not receiving anything more than I ordered. I would certainly expect to receive the fobs, just as I would expect to receive the mobile connector as I had placed my order before they explicitly discontinued its inclusion.

The tires have always been a crapshoot so the change there I can understand.

So just popped into my local dealership and asked about the VIN and when I should expect to get delivery…. And he told me apparently they’ve been getting a bug that has been giving out false VINs for vehicles that don’t exist. He even searched up my VIN and it said vehicle not found. So the updated EDD is not valid and will probably revert back to November. :(
Not sure if this is a form email or not, but I got this from the SA in Ottawa:

“Hello G,

I hope you’re having a great week!

It looks like your vehicle is built and have been assigned a VIN 5YJSA1E55NF485…

Since your vehicle is quickly approaching (ETA: July 23rd – August 2nd) please respond to this email confirming your delivery and login to your Tesla account to fill out the remaining sections on your Tesla profile to ensure we’re able to keep this vehicle assigned to your order. The sections include:

• Registration type (ex. Registering under 1 person / 2 persons / business)
  • Ensuring an updated drivers license is uploaded with matching address
  • Address
  • Payment Method (ex. Cash / Financing / Lease)
  • Amount Due On Delivery

If you have already completed the above sections then you can disregard those remainng steps.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,”

🤷🏻‍♂️

The VIN has disappeared from the website source code however.

Last edited:
The Bluetooth key fobs take 30 seconds each to pair with the car, and don't involve cutting a blade or any sort of reprogramming like many other manufacturer's fobs. It wouldn't exactly be 'nightmarish' to throw those in at delivery for orders placed before xx date, just as they do with the mobile connector.
They don't even come preprogrammed to each car from the factory - for all of my refresh S/X deliveries, the delivery team grabbed new fobs from the office and paired them to the car through the touchscreen menu as I waited.

For what it's worth, my order is at current pricing, with upgraded lights and swivel displays already being included at that time. I'm not getting a discount off current MSRP and I'm not receiving anything more than I ordered. I would certainly expect to receive the fobs, just as I would expect to receive the mobile connector as I had placed my order before they explicitly discontinued its inclusion.

The tires have always been a crapshoot so the change there I can understand.
Agreed. The fob logistics are not "nightmarish" at all. But my post was more general about about the double-edged sword of receiving the vehicle the way "I ordered the car back in October, Tesla and I were put under contract to exchange my money for their car as promised." For example, my 2016 MS was ordered before the nose cone disappeared, but mine arrived with the new front fascia (which I prefer). All in all, I'm on the side of getting the latest updates at the time of manufacture, not a vehicle with old tech or hardware from the date of order.

Got the tint and some PPF in front of rear wheels done last week. Looks way better and controls the temps inside the car much better now. No longer a fish bowl.

Tint is XPEL XR Prime Plus, either 15% or 20%.

What are you guys using for a windshield sunshade? What is best?

Tint.jpg

Huh looks like new deliveries don't get the key fobs any more?

That will present a problem for some people. I have my car set to only unlock the drivers door. I have been unable to find any way other than the FOB to present the other handles while outside the car. It can not be done from the Tesla app on my phone. I have also noticed other scenarios where only the FOB would do the job.

Got the tint and some PPF in front of rear wheels done last week. Looks way better and controls the temps inside the car much better now. No longer a fish bowl.

View attachment 826791
I used Llumar Air 80 on my windshield and am very happy with the choice.

Yeah I don’t want to tint the windshield. I want something to stick in the window when parked.
Gotcha. For what it's worth though, I have decided that tinting the windshield was a great choice. This 'tint' dramatically cuts down on the heat coming through and is almost undetectable. I would definitely do it again.

View attachment 826791
Looks really good. Did you have the roof tinted also? I was worried about the heat. The store says I should see mine around August 15. So we will see.