Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're not ordering for Supercharging transfer for any other pressing issue, I'd just cancel and reorder if VIN year is that important. The car will be identical most likely but small chance you might get that front bumper camera that was rumored a few months ago but never happened.
Yup. No incentives at all, except that I currently don't have a car.... Using my electric motorcycle and sharing a 2015 Prius with my significant other.

Question is if I need to place the new order on Jan 1, or should I do it in Dec 31 in case they change prices on Jan 1....

Yup. No incentives at all, except that I currently don't have a car.... Using my electric motorcycle and sharing a 2015 Prius with my significant other.

Question is if I need to place the new order on Jan 1, or should I do it in Dec 31 in case they change prices on Jan 1....
I guess if you're willing to cancel a second time and lose that $250, I'd order this year. We know there will be a price increase Jan 1st?

Reactions: aerodyne
OD 12/13
MSP black on black 19 wheels steering wheel
They just assigned my VIN this morning (2023) PF530XXX
Have any of yall received a VIN that fast after ordering? My projected delivery date was January- February when I ordered. 2 weeks after ordering I get a VIN.

I don’t know if I should delay the delivery (which sounds like will only buy me another 2 weeks) or just cancel outright. If I cancel, should I order again in the next day or two? Or should I wait until January to put my next order in. My goal is to get a 2024 but at the current pricing. I also really want to get ambient lighting which it sounds like is closer to happening than the bumper camera.

I also really want to get ambient lighting which it sounds like is closer to happening than the bumper camera.
Rumors and hopeful posting only. That's a lot to hope for: bumper camera, mood lighting, 2024 and no price changes . Forget about the features updates. Nobody knows if these will come or when. We don't know about price either. The only sure thing you can do is wait until the first 2024 comes out, then place your order.

OD 12/13
Have any of yall received a VIN that fast after ordering? My projected delivery date was January- February when I ordered. 2 weeks after ordering I get a VIN.

I don’t know if I should delay the delivery (which sounds like will only buy me another 2 weeks) or just cancel outright. If I cancel, should I order again in the next day or two? Or should I wait until January to put my next order in. My goal is to get a 2024 but at the current pricing. I also really want to get ambient lighting which it sounds like is closer to happening than the bumper camera.
They are scraping bottom of the barrel for the end of year numbers. Your best strategy is to punt for 2 weeks and then if you still get 2023 cancel and re-order. There is no advantage in cancelling now, you might as well let it play out.

OD 12/13

That is an extremely quick turn around especially since they have to ship it half way across the country. If your house was right next to Freemont I would have thought that this would be a little more normal, but overall congratulations if you are looking to take delivery soon. I placed my order on December 2nd and I'm still waiting for a VIN assignment. My estimated delivery date is still 12/31/23 through 2/4/24.

My guess is that I'm probably lower on the list due to the color requested (Stealth Grey) because I don't see many of the messages on here reporting that their Stealth Grey Plaid has a VIN assignment yet.

All I can say is that this group is great for crowdsourcing information so keep all of these messages coming!

Yeah, that's great and all, but won't get here until well into 2024 and it will already be a year old. 😅

True, plus a greater than normal chance of defects and damage due to the year end rush to beat the stock analysts delivery predictions.

Even if the price goes up significantly soon, will it be more than the depreciation hit of a one year older car after, say 3 years? My guess is no, but could be an interesting spreadsheet excercise.

For those that are without cars, have you considered a Turo rental for a few weeks? Might help you decide if you can live with some of the features of a recent build.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
True, plus a greater than normal chance of defects and damage due to the year end rush to beat the stock analysts delivery predictions.

Even if the price goes up significantly soon, will it be more than the depreciation hit of a one year older car after, say 3 years? My guess is no, but could be an interesting spreadsheet excercise.

For those that are without cars, have you considered a Turo rental for a few weeks? Might help you decide if you can live with some of the features of a recent build.

Good point. I think if they bump prices $5k, that would be about even with the model year depreciation hit.

By recent "features", do you mean HW4 and the USS removal? I had a '21 Plaid and that is going to annoy me, but probably not a dealbreaker. I might Turo a Rivian. I test drove a Taycan Turbo S and a Lucid Air, but both had kind of janky self driving features (even worse than FSD), no fast charging network, and the Taycan was over $220k. The Lucid Air GT performance whatever had a very reasonable lease, until $1k / month...

Good point. I think if they bump prices $5k, that would be about even with the model year depreciation hit.

By recent "features", do you mean HW4 and the USS removal? I had a '21 Plaid and that is going to annoy me, but probably not a dealbreaker. I might Turo a Rivian. I test drove a Taycan Turbo S and a Lucid Air, but both had kind of janky self driving features (even worse than FSD), no fast charging network, and the Taycan was over $220k. The Lucid Air GT performance whatever had a very reasonable lease, until $1k / month...
Yes, for instance HW4 seems to add no value, unless the 3D parking is superior to USS.

Cameras are better than HW3, but honestly the only thing I wish I had was the lighter roof glass, and real RGB ambient lighting, the latter I don't think is going to happen soon.

I also considered the Rivian, but like all other brands, had to consider the charging network. No guarantee that when the NACS adapters are available, that they will change at Tesla like speeds.

The only thing I can afford now is a trade to a M3P.

Same thing happened with me with VIN assigned today Stealth Gray PF530xxx.
Order Date: 11/29
Previous EDD Jan 20 - March 2
Today EDD Dec 31 - Jan 2
That actually has me excited. I didn't know how often they would spit out a batch of Stealth Grey cars. So, the fact that you have an order date about 4 days before me for the same color makes me optimistic that I may not be waiting for February for my delivery.

Out of curiosity, did you order a Long Range or Plaid?

I think with the number of vehicles they are cranking out and that drone footage, they will be shipping 2023 model year well into the January 🤦‍♂️
I'm with you - customers will oppose taking 2023 models in 2024. Maybe they were astute enough to build these last ones as 2024's, but for some unobvious reason they seem to be driving this unusually late, hardline 2024 change when, if the product is really not changing between years, there would be no reason not to just build them as 2024's. Super weird.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot and teko
I'm with you - customers will oppose taking 2023 models in 2024. Maybe they were astute enough to build these last ones as 2024's, but for some unobvious reason they seem to be driving this unusually late, hardline 2024 change when, if the product is really not changing between years, there would be no reason not to just build them as 2024's. Super weird.
Maybe they have plans to make big changes in mid to late 2024 and they don't want to have a split mid-model year. Or maybe they are just messing with people.