Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair enough granted expecting a 24 when you ordered in 23 to be anything other then what you ordered is a bit of a hope then a probability.
Eh I think Tesla deserves blame here. They deliberately make the process vague. Tesla could announce when the actual changeover will happen and whether or not there will be a price change with said changeover. Every other manufacturer does this. And Tesla used to follow the usual paradigm of doing the model year changeover in the fall like other manufacturers.

And Tesla used to follow the usual paradigm of doing the model year changeover in the fall like other manufacturers.
And Tesla used to follow the paradigm of changing the model year to match the calendar year of production before that.

We don't know if Tesla is switching back to how they originally did it, or if they will continue to make 2023 model year vehicles in 2024.

Reactions: Yelobird
And Tesla used to follow the paradigm of changing the model year to match the calendar year of production before that.

We don't know if Tesla is switching back to how they originally did it, or if they will continue to make 2023 model year vehicles in 2024.
Sure. But like I said, I think they deserve some of the blame here for being deliberately vague on these things. They could make things easier on themselves and their customers if they were just up front.

Reactions: aerodyne

Side curiosity not specific to the topic but I always wondered how ethical it was/is to offer 24’ model cars in October of 23’? Seems like a means to inflate values against insurance providers.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Side curiosity not specific to the topic but I always wondered how ethical it was/is to offer 24’ model cars in October of 23’? Seems like a means to inflate values against insurance providers.
Literally every other manufacturer does this (often times the switchover happening more like August - September)... so perfectly ethical since that's more or less the accepted standard. Now in most cases the model year change over will have at least minor changes (option configuration changes, updating some minor components, that sort of thing) and more often than not an MSRP increase.

I do think in this day and age valuation should probably be based on equipment, condition, build date, and miles rather than an arbitrary model year designation. And I do think the resale difference is small enough that the people sweating the changeover months in advance are going over the top.

Eh I think Tesla deserves blame here. They deliberately make the process vague. Tesla could announce when the actual changeover will happen and whether or not there will be a price change with said changeover. Every other manufacturer does this. And Tesla used to follow the usual paradigm of doing the model year changeover in the fall like other manufacturers.
I agree wholeheartedly. Tell us when 2024 will be arriving. Tell us if there are any changes. Tell us if the price will go up. It's pretty simple. I'm growing frustrated with all of this. My car isn't suppose to be here until Feb2-March 15th. I've been scouring message boards and X for the last 4-5 months to see if there are any leaks. Just give me my damn 2024!

Reactions: teko
Tesla has all the blame, folks want to know what year car they are buying, is it a 2023 model or 2024 model. I don't understand why they aren't clear about this issue? From a revenue perspective, the vin does not matter, the sale date when you pay for the car is when they can book revenue, weather it is a used 2021, or a new 2023 or 2024 model. I see zero advantages for Tesla to be unclear but plenty of downside.

Reactions: teko
Tesla has all the blame, folks want to know what year car they are buying, is it a 2023 model or 2024 model. I don't understand why they aren't clear about this issue?
It seems clear to me. You are getting a 2023 until Tesla says they are delivering 2024s. Tesla has said nothing that would make people think that they are currently ordering a 2024 model year vehicle.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird and teko
For VIN purposes, how is the tenth letter (denoting year) established? There has to be a consistent approach across all manufacturers. Is it based on the day the build for that car started? Finished? Something else?

Or do manufacturers have the leeway to decide? If BMW was selling a 2024 model in September 2023 would its tenth letter be P or R?

There has to be a consistent approach across all manufacturers.
Nope.

Is it based on the day the build for that car started? Finished?
Nope. Nope.

Something else?
Yep.
Or do manufacturers have the leeway to decide?
Yep.
If BMW was selling a 2024 model in September 2023 would its tenth letter be P or R?
R

OEMs are allowed to start making 2024 model year vehicles starting as early as 1/2/2023 or as late as 12/31/2024. (But once they start making a specific model year they can continue to make that model year for as long as they want.)

I assume that they could start making 2025 model year vehicles on 1/2/2024 if they wanted to.