Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SO waited until I got mine back from the detailer to tell me I needed to take one of our cats to the vet, as the carrier is too big for his Camaro (big cat= big carrier). Just what I wanted, a sick cat in my freshly detailed S! But, I do love the cat so...

We love our critters. My 21 year old cat is sleeping leaning up against my foot as I write.

Good to know. I don't know if I could handle waiting 6 days while knowing the car was done and at the center. Sounds excruciating!

If the service center wasn't on the opposite corner of the Portland metro area (about 40 miles through the worst traffic in town), I may have run down there just to get a look at it. Fortunately or unfortunately this week has been full of distractions. On Wednesday I had the HPWC installed, and we had to replace the electrical panel for the house. Ours was maxed out and we either needed a subpanel or replacing the main panel. Replacing the main panel got us copper bus bars (instead of aluminum) which allows for better current carrying capacity by the whole panel. But we had to deal with a couple of hours of no power and only an extension cord to run our computers.

Then on Thursday we had a tree taken out and a couple of others trimmed. One of them was scraping the top of my car when I pulled into the driveway, which I definitely didn't want with the Tesla!

Friday and Saturday were catch up days and I was tired yesterday. Today is the first day I'm really thinking about it. This time tomorrow I should be getting home from my errands in my new car! It still feels kind of surreal.

Am I crazy? ;) I have my HPWC installed, the indoor car cover is here, the old car is sold, the garage is as clean as it ever was, my refresh finger is developing carpal - but of course I still have no clue as to when I'll actually get my car....1441xx VIN Fremont delivery..
I've probably owned close to 20 or so cars over the years, but I've never been this obsessed with any one of them..

TWENTY ONE!?!?!

Yup. He's creaky and kind of wobbles when he walks, but he eats like a horse and wants to hang with his people. He will eat almost anything, he begs for popcorn, eats whatever he finds on the floor and he panics if his food bowl has less than 4 days food in it. This may be his last year, he is declining but as long as he still enjoys life and has more good days than bad days we keep him as comfortable as possible and hope he lasts a while.

Finally! Got the "in production" email today as I was starting to feel like Milton

Despite the hours I wasted refreshing MyTesla for the last 6 weeks, I guess this timing makes sense when I back into it. My DS told me a while ago that they were targeting delivery the week of June 27th.

I've updated my info on the spreadsheet.

@JHarmBravo I feel your pain. I'm picking up my P90DL tomorrow with mixed emotions. While I'm very excited about the car and can't wait to take it home, the production process was fantastic with my DS giving updates anytime I called. While, Tesla hit their marks on predicting when it went into production and how long it would take to complete the car. BUT this is where it stopped. Quite frankly I get better packaging tracking from Amazon than what Tesla was able to provide. C'mon man this is a massive machine with GPS installed, not a 2lb package.

Promises of "It takes 2-3 weeks to get to NC from CA after production" or "I've never seen it take more than 8 days to get to NC from Birmingham" (the southeast rail depot) were broken My estimated delivery date was moved back once and then delivery missed the final estimate by 2 days.

At times, I felt like my DS didn't want to communicate with me. I wasn't demanding, or nagging or yelling or pissed off that the days were slipping by, I just wanted an update. I'm guessing he didn't want to deliver me any bad news. Like I told the sales manager, silence is worse than an unpleasant message. We are adults here. Give us the news good/bad/indifferent.

Here is what DS' need to know: When you are dealing with a buyer that is emotionally attached the the product they are purchasing, you MUST be proactive with your communications. You can't stop communicating during the "dark" period (I'm referring to the time between production and delivery). A few suggestions for improvement:

1. Better tracking of the car once it leaves Freemont
2. Daily email or text from the DS on the car's location
3. If the DS is heading out of town, check all customer's status, inform them of their status and let them know who to contact while they are out of town or at a minimum put an "out of office" answer on their email.
4. A "Domino's" tracker would be fantastic - maybe show pictures as the car is entering different parts of production (well not the specific car ordered, but generic pics).
5. I'm sure there are more. . . .

I apologize for ranting on a thread where everyone is excited and waiting on their vehicles. Keep the faith. I'm sure Tesla will improve their delivery process just as they continuously improve their cars.

@ryan: I totally agree with you and I think your critical post is constructive and echoes a lot of our emotions.

Bottom line is, you put down $2500 to get a very expensive car and most luxury brands bend over backwards to secure a 6 figure sale. It's better to over promise and under deliver than to continually disappoint up to the point of making the customer lose faith in everything you are telling them....

Fortunately for you your DS is communicative. Mine takes 2 days to a week to respond to me and the response is generally a non-statement. Now I didn't get a P90DL but quite frankly the whole experience so far is worse than when I ordered an austere 2011 Audi A4 3 cars ago.... It doesn't exactly motivate me to double down on my Tesla purchases.

I'm sure I'll love the car and say it's worth the wait when I get it. But the fact that I get better shipping estimates on a 3 dollar bottle of shampoo is a bit ridiculous.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This post, right here!
I have ordered Porsches that take 4 to 6 months to arrive, with prices way north of $100k. For the price of these higher end cars, It continues to blow my mind how little info is passed on to the buyer during the entire process. It seems like it would be easy for Tesla to implement a system to better keep us informed, and make their anxious customers happy in the mean time. My wife's Model X said it was in production for two weeks, then she gets a call to pick it up at the service center while it still says the car is in production. That's a big gap in information!

Reactions: vtvox and newtman
@ryan:
I'm sure I'll love the car and say it's worth the wait when I get it. But the fact that I get better shipping estimates on a 3 dollar bottle of shampoo is a bit ridiculous.
Amazon.com has also ruined me. Today I ordered that 90 degree set of pliers for license plate removal! And for $5 more, I received them 4 hours later. Can't risk not having them at the time of delivery tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Atlanta delivery…

75D, VIN 1421xx

In production last Friday, in transit today (7 days later). Seems to take 21 days to get to Atlanta for some reason, still hoping for delivery this month.

Haven't heard a thing from my DS since well before production started. I envy everyone who is getting good info from their DS as things happen. Thank goodness for My Tesla to keep me informed!

My Tesla entered production on 5/25 and I just got confirmed delivery window of between June 10th and June 24th. Yours should be coming soon as my VIN is higher!

Actually they can- don't remember what the product was called but any opticoat dealer or professional detailer could probably tell you.
Yeah, I did some more research and see that I can have an exterior windshield film put on. I'll have to find someone who has done many of these though. I've been reading that those with Xs are even more concerned b/c of the size of those windshields.

I've updated my info on the spreadsheet.

@JHarmBravo I feel your pain. I'm picking up my P90DL tomorrow with mixed emotions. While I'm very excited about the car and can't wait to take it home, the production process was fantastic with my DS giving updates anytime I called. While, Tesla hit their marks on predicting when it went into production and how long it would take to complete the car. BUT this is where it stopped. Quite frankly I get better packaging tracking from Amazon than what Tesla was able to provide. C'mon man this is a massive machine with GPS installed, not a 2lb package.

Promises of "It takes 2-3 weeks to get to NC from CA after production" or "I've never seen it take more than 8 days to get to NC from Birmingham" (the southeast rail depot) were broken My estimated delivery date was moved back once and then delivery missed the final estimate by 2 days.

At times, I felt like my DS didn't want to communicate with me. I wasn't demanding, or nagging or yelling or pissed off that the days were slipping by, I just wanted an update. I'm guessing he didn't want to deliver me any bad news. Like I told the sales manager, silence is worse than an unpleasant message. We are adults here. Give us the news good/bad/indifferent.

Here is what DS' need to know: When you are dealing with a buyer that is emotionally attached the the product they are purchasing, you MUST be proactive with your communications. You can't stop communicating during the "dark" period (I'm referring to the time between production and delivery). A few suggestions for improvement:

1. Better tracking of the car once it leaves Freemont
2. Daily email or text from the DS on the car's location
3. If the DS is heading out of town, check all customer's status, inform them of their status and let them know who to contact while they are out of town or at a minimum put an "out of office" answer on their email.
4. A "Domino's" tracker would be fantastic - maybe show pictures as the car is entering different parts of production (well not the specific car ordered, but generic pics).
5. I'm sure there are more. . . .

I apologize for ranting on a thread where everyone is excited and waiting on their vehicles. Keep the faith. I'm sure Tesla will improve their delivery process just as they continuously improve their cars.
Well written. Thanks for speaking for all of us!

S70
midnight silver metallic
pano roof
auto pilot
premium upgrades

5/13 - ordered
5/17 - confirmed
5/20 - VIN
6/3 - in production

like everyone else I'm very excited to get my car. it's been several weeks of sleepless nights waiting for an email or a refresh on the "my tesla" page. I'm developing hyperacidity coz of the stress... my DS said that my delivery date would be between June 18-21 but in my page it still says June - early July delivery. hope I get some good news anytime this week!

IN PRODUCTION! Got E-mail 10:20AM!!!

VIN: 141xxx
90D, solid white
Boston delivery

4/18 ordered
4/25 confirmed
6/6 in production

I just got my email too.
na-va-en_us-547x46-01.png

na-ep-en_us-704x37-01.png

Your Model S has entered production at our factory in Fremont, California. After production your Model S will be shipped via truck, rail, or sea to your nearest service center. It will then be inspected one final time and readied for your pickup.

FINALLY. I hope it's not coming by sea. Or rail.

My time stamp was 10:20 also (I guess that's 8:20 CA time).