Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, here are the photos.
IMG_1264.JPG
IMG_1265.JPG
IMG_1266.JPG

Took delivery today, was rear ended 15 minutes later :mad:

View attachment 182659

The crew at the SvC was great, they had a loaner ready when I brought the car back. Hope there is no structural damage and they can fix it.
I think Count Rugen's quote from The Princess Bride is appropriate:
"I think that's the worst thing I've ever heard."

Things to do while you wait for your Model S...

1) All the other stuff you're actually supposed to do...14-50/HPWC Install, etc.
2) Carefully consider every possible accessory from every possible Tesla accessory vendor
3) Watch every Tesla youtube video ever produced. Subscribe to the good ones and watch them within seconds of being published
4) Check for a status update on My Tesla every few minutes or so
5) Read all the available docs in My Tesla (User's Guide, etc.) at least 5 times.
6) Check out all updates on the delivery thread. Copy photos of your color combination and send to friends and family ("This is what ours is going to look like.")
7) Regret doubting your ability to pull off sporting that sweet Multicoat Red every day.
8) Exercise your OCD by considering every possible combination of tint, wrap, and coating.

9) Last but not least...

...Commandeer the wife's Cricut cutter to cut Tesla decals to put on the MacBook...and the Truck, to announce to the world that not all of your vehicles get 12MPG (or less.)

TeslaDecalTruck.jpg

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah.

10) Order parts for a 10-30 Dryer Outlet Connection Cable to charge at friend's and relative's houses when you visit. (and hope to not burn their house down doing it.)

View attachment 182659

The crew at the SvC was great, they had a loaner ready when I brought the car back. Hope there is no structural damage and they can fix it.

That's terrible! Only 15 minutes of driving after such a long wait.

Unfortunately it will probably be a while before they can get the parts to repair it. :(

Things to do while you wait for your Model S...

1) All the other stuff you're actually supposed to do...14-50/HPWC Install, etc.
2) Carefully consider every possible accessory from every possible Tesla accessory vendor
3) Watch every Tesla youtube video ever produced. Subscribe to the good ones and watch them within seconds of being published
4) Check for a status update on My Tesla every few minutes or so
5) Read all the available docs in My Tesla (User's Guide, etc.) at least 5 times.
6) Check out all updates on the delivery thread. Copy photos of your color combination and send to friends and family ("This is what ours is going to look like.")
7) Regret doubting your ability to pull off sporting that sweet Multicoat Red every day.
8) Exercise your OCD by considering every possible combination of tint, wrap, and coating.

9) Last but not least...

...Commandeer the wife's Cricut cutter to cut Tesla decals to put on the MacBook...and the Truck, to announce to the world that not all of your vehicles get 12MPG (or less.)

View attachment 182712

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah.

10) Order parts for a 10-30 Dryer Outlet Connection Cable to charge at friend's and relative's houses when you visit. (and hope to not burn their house down doing it.)

Hope to see you cruisin' around Atlanta! P.S. You forgot looking at every Tesla on the road intensely to see what interior choices they made!

View attachment 182659

Hope you and your car a quick recovery -
That was my biggest fear the last 24 hrs (after pickup)-
May you be back on the road in prestine shape ASAP !

Reactions: Reekdog
I placed an order for a Model S 70D on 5/6 and had it confirmed on 5/13. My specs:

VIN: 5YJSA1E21GF1438XX
Solid Black Exterior
Pano Roof
19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
Textile Black Seats
Dark Ash Wood Interior
Black Alcantara Headliner
Autopilot
Premium Upgrades
Subzero Package

My DS is saying it should enter production first week of June and arrive in Chicago (Highland Park) around June 20. Starting the countdown...

Well today was the day and the car is everything I hoped it would be.

My first stop after I picked it up was to show it to my grandmother. This is a lady who was born in the height of the Great Depression and spent her childhood in a house without plumbing or electricity, other than a radio hooked up to a car battery. I think she was more excited than I was. She said many times that she never thought she'd ride in an electric car. The autopilot certainly impressed as well.

Good luck to everyone else on their wait!

Just took delivery today... holy cow... On the drive in, the GPS said ETA 5 mins to the Tesla service center, and I started to feel so nervous -- because a year of planning, working my ass off, saving, obsessing, checking this forum 20 times a day -- it all led up to this moment. And for a moment, I almost didn't want the journey to end, you know? The anticipation itself was enjoyable to me and a motivating force. I hadn't felt nervous in this way since the night before my wedding ;)

We were greeted by the service team as we walked in, and when they went to the back to get paperwork, I snuck around back and took a peek at our 90D, sitting there in all her glory. I had been to this service center before, but I had never seen so many Teslas lined out back. The service team seemed stretched very thin, but they did a good job at getting us through the paperwork and into our car quickly. Got the usual swag bag w/ keychain fob, umbrella, mug, pin, etc.

Our delivery appointment was at 1PM, and we was to take her straight to the detailer for XPEL and Opticoat -- they close at 3PM. I let my wife sit through the full orientation by the DS (as I've seen and read everything imaginable online about how to operate this car already) -- by the time they finished it was 2:30, and we had less than 20 mins to joy ride our new beauty before having to get it to the detailer.

Within 5 mins, I already had my first Tesla moment -- in a shopping mall parking lot, there was a ~8-10 year old boy helping her mom load stuff into her car. As I drove by, he turned and looked at the car -- huge smile emerged on his face and he gave me an emphatic thumbs up and wave. This gives me hope for the future of humanity :)

We didn't have time to get it onto a highway, so we drove along a road w/ traffic lights and a ~45mph speed limit. I floored the crap out of this car.. for about 2 seconds ... and holy crap did it fly! Heart pounding, adrenaline rushing -- it's amazing how light and nimble this car feels given how physically large it is, and almost 5000 lbs. The last time I felt even remotely close to this kind of acceleration was on my Ninja 650 motorcycle, but only after it had revved up to like 6000+ RPM.

I also activated autopilot for about 1000 ft in traffic. At first it startled me, because it immediately accelerated to a parked car at a red light about 300ft ahead of me -- and quite aggressively -- but slowed smoothly and gracefully, coming to a complete stop, and then moving along again when the light turned green. I had seen all the Youtube videos before, but having this actual real experience -- I was totally beside myself... It was incredible... I was blown away. Naturally, my hands hovered nervously above the wheel as it guided itself along curves, avoided road cones, and displayed its sensor sweep of the cars around me. I suddenly felt like I had been transported to 200 years into the future -- except I was in a time warp bubble where I was the only one who could see this future, and the world around me was still stuck in the past.

Alas, the time came to drop her off at the detailer. We will see her again in 5 days. On the drive home in the ICE... well you guys must have all had this experience -- the go pedal felt "broken", as there was some lag in the response -- the engine noise, the lack of the instrument cluster -- it was so painful and painfully obvious that there is never going back.

Now, even 8 hours later, I am still having flashbacks of that 20 min drive as if it were a dream... did that really just actually happen? I feel painfully stuck in the past after having seen an incredible future world, and can't wait for my future to come again... in 5 days!

Attachments

• mmexport1466909789623.jpg
    mmexport1466909789623.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 101
  • mmexport1466909792653.jpg
    mmexport1466909792653.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 100
  • mmexport1466909795053.jpg
    mmexport1466909795053.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 97
  • mmexport1466909797416.jpg
    mmexport1466909797416.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 88
  • mmexport1466909800194.jpg
    mmexport1466909800194.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 20160625_140642.jpg
    20160625_140642.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 92
Just took delivery today... holy cow... On the drive in, the GPS said ETA 5 mins to the Tesla service center, and I started to feel so nervous -- because a year of planning, working my ass off, saving, obsessing, checking this forum 20 times a day -- it all led up to this moment. And for a moment, I almost didn't want the journey to end, you know? The anticipation itself was enjoyable to me and a motivating force. I hadn't felt nervous in this way since the night before my wedding ;)

We were greeted by the service team as we walked in, and when they went to the back to get paperwork, I snuck around back and took a peek at our 90D, sitting there in all her glory. I had been to this service center before, but I had never seen so many Teslas lined out back. The service team seemed stretched very thin, but they did a good job at getting us through the paperwork and into our car quickly. Got the usual swag bag w/ keychain fob, umbrella, mug, pin, etc.

Our delivery appointment was at 1PM, and we was to take her straight to the detailer for XPEL and Opticoat -- they close at 3PM. I let my wife sit through the full orientation by the DS (as I've seen and read everything imaginable online about how to operate this car already) -- by the time they finished it was 2:30, and we had less than 20 mins to joy ride our new beauty before having to get it to the detailer.

Within 5 mins, I already had my first Tesla moment -- in a shopping mall parking lot, there was a ~8-10 year old boy helping her mom load stuff into her car. As I drove by, he turned and looked at the car -- huge smile emerged on his face and he gave me an emphatic thumbs up and wave. This gives me hope for the future of humanity :)

We didn't have time to get it onto a highway, so we drove along a road w/ traffic lights and a ~45mph speed limit. I floored the crap out of this car.. for about 2 seconds ... and holy crap did it fly! Heart pounding, adrenaline rushing -- it's amazing how light and nimble this car feels given how physically large it is, and almost 5000 lbs. The last time I felt even remotely close to this kind of acceleration was on my Ninja 650 motorcycle, but only after it had revved up to like 6000+ RPM.

I also activated autopilot for about 1000 ft in traffic. At first it startled me, because it immediately accelerated to a parked car at a red light about 300ft ahead of me -- and quite aggressively -- but slowed smoothly and gracefully, coming to a complete stop, and then moving along again when the light turned green. I had seen all the Youtube videos before, but having this actual real experience -- I was totally beside myself... It was incredible... I was blown away. Naturally, my hands hovered nervously above the wheel as it guided itself along curves, avoided road cones, and displayed its sensor sweep of the cars around me. I suddenly felt like I had been transported to 200 years into the future -- except I was in a time warp bubble where I was the only one who could see this future, and the world around me was still stuck in the past.

Alas, the time came to drop her off at the detailer. We will see her again in 5 days. On the drive home in the ICE... well you guys must have all had this experience -- the go pedal felt "broken", as there was some lag in the response -- the engine noise, the lack of the instrument cluster -- it was so painful and painfully obvious that there is never going back.

Now, even 8 hours later, I am still having flashbacks of that 20 min drive as if it were a dream... did that really just actually happen? I feel painfully stuck in the past after having seen an incredible future world, and can't wait for my future to come again... in 5 days!
Congrats! She looks beautiful! Did you pick up in Dedham or Natick?

Can't wait I'm scheduled to pick my S 70D in pearl white this coming Wednesday!
You'll see me around MA with the NJ plates and tinted out windows :)

My 7 day window in order confirmation is coming closer and closer and I am getting confused on the wheels. Currently, I have the standard wheels and decided to opt out of the charcoal wheels as they are 4.5k extra- I want them but then think is that worth the money?? Love the way they look, keep dreaming about it etc. should I upgrade? Any one have the new white with those wheels who can post pictures for me to see??? If I did upgrade will my range get even less? I am 210 right now based on the sticker but we all know that's the max avg will be less than 200miles on full charge.

We are 50-50 right now - upgrade the wheels or not - would love to see the white with the charcoal wheels before I update my order

I believe the charcoal wheels are 21 inch. You will probably have to get some 19 inch wheels for winter driving as the tires that come with the 21 inch wheels are summer only. The 21 inch tires also wear out much faster than the 19 inch.

Personally I go for lowest maintenance hassle and highest convenience first and aesthetics are nice but secondary. But that's just me.

Your call though.

My 7 day window in order confirmation is coming closer and closer and I am getting confused on the wheels. Currently, I have the standard wheels and decided to opt out of the charcoal wheels as they are 4.5k extra- I want them but then think is that worth the money?? Love the way they look, keep dreaming about it etc. should I upgrade? Any one have the new white with those wheels who can post pictures for me to see??? If I did upgrade will my range get even less? I am 210 right now based on the sticker but we all know that's the max avg will be less than 200miles on full charge.

We are 50-50 right now - upgrade the wheels or not - would love to see the white with the charcoal wheels before I update my order

In my opinion, go with the 19" slip stream wheels. They offer a better ride and less cost to maintain. You also get slightly more miles per charge from them. In any case you can buy a whole new set of wheels and tires from a third party for way less than $4500 and still have your factory wheels as a backup for bad weather or even sell them to recoup some of your costs for an aftermarket set.