Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the data on the TMC tracking spreadsheet, it looks like people are taking advantage of the value found with the 60 models and
choosing it over 75 kWh models. The reason, which I believe is common among consumers, is that it offers "more car for the money". Since it also includes access to superchargers and that many drivers do not need more than 200 mile range per day (70,000 miles per year if you average it out) the MS 60 range is more than adequate for many buyers. The number of 75D orders is relatively low now. Also, it is interesting to see, a MS75 (non-D) is available should you not need the DWD capability. Various people in So. California are choosing the MS 60 due to good weather and lower pricing. While "most people" seem to have ordered a D vehicle since its introduction, more and more seem to be choosing MS60 now than in the past. Isn't it lower priced than the earlier variation of the MS60 RWD back in 2014? The MS60 is the "most EV range you can currently buy per-dollar". Since BMW i3 only offers under 100 miles at a price point of the mid $40k range - the MS60 beats that in size, utility and range (though does cost more). The only thing missing now is the larger frunk space of the older RWD models. That provided nice utility for shopping and/or travel.

So, your original question... "big influx of orders ... slowing down production for some?" The per-day VIn # distribution per week was only slightly up during June, but the trend is flat through this point in July. Contact me (PM) if you want more details on this statement. I don't like to publish such data in public forums. One key factor - people confirming orders on MS and MX are typically getting a Vin # the day of or the day after confirmation. If there was a growing backlog, this would change to a longer-wait for vin #. However, Tesla could do us all a favor and give Vin # closer to or on date of production instead of weeks in advance - this is not typical in the auto industry. Most Vin #s are established when they start painting a chassis and even custom orders from the "big 3" buyers are not aware of Vin # until they get their car.

In summary - people are buying the MS 60 instead of the MS 75 because it makes sense, primarily economically - and we know people usually vote with their pocket or purse.

We know many are waiting on the Model 3 to get a cheaper, 200 mile EV. Whether the MS 60 drives people to order early is still not apparent in the data - but we do know some have posted here that they chose to get an MS 60 early to influence the speed of when they get their Model 3. Without the MS 60 re-introduction, I would think that MS sales would be slowing now as the MX orders are being built and delivered in higher volume and as people start the less than 1-year wait for first production of Model 3. I think Q4 2015 was the highest-production count (13530) for Model S that Tesla may ever see. Q1 was 12851 and Q2 is looking a bit less (MS is well up due to backlog). MS Vin #s in Q2 was only slightly more than Q1, indicating production may be roughly the same (12500-12800). Won't know for a week but I think Q2 production was 12345 MS and 6000 MX (they gave grand-total already of 18345). Q1 2016 was 12851 MS and 2659 MX, so the MX rates are definitely up.

1 year isn't too long to wait to see them start production. Especially if you can get the same range as a MS 60 and pay $30k less. You can get two M3 for the price of one MS 60. Couples can "go EV" together and get two vehicle in a year versus one now.

Thanks Bonaire - good info. I'm on the reserved list for a Model 3 and intend to trade my 2017 S 60D in on the 3 when they get to me on the list as the 3 is more my size car.

I was happy this past Sunday to see my delivery window was moved up to 7/27 - 8/3 so I emailed my D.S. so we can close a few outstanding details but guess what? My D.S. is M.I.A.!!!!!!!!!!! He's Shannon Davis out of the Raleigh showroom and I've heard from him only when he was first assigned to my car. I haven't bugged him at all. I felt proud of that. With tomorrow being the earliest delivery day I can't help but feel I was assigned a not great D.S.!!!!!!!!!
Ordering a Porsche 911 from Germany with a boat and an ocean involved was less stressful than this!!!!!!
Shannon, where art thou and when will I see my Tesla?
The nasty part of me says, relax; he'll get in touch when Tesla wants to be paid.
Maybe his dog ate my paperwork?

I was happy this past Sunday to see my delivery window was moved up to 7/27 - 8/3 so I emailed my D.S. so we can close a few outstanding details but guess what? My D.S. is M.I.A.!!!!!!!!!!! He's Shannon Davis out of the Raleigh showroom and I've heard from him only when he was first assigned to my car. I haven't bugged him at all. I felt proud of that. With tomorrow being the earliest delivery day I can't help but feel I was assigned a not great D.S.!!!!!!!!!
Ordering a Porsche 911 from Germany with a boat and an ocean involved was less stressful than this!!!!!!
Shannon, where art thou and when will I see my Tesla?
The nasty part of me says, relax; he'll get in touch when Tesla wants to be paid.
Maybe his dog ate my paperwork?

You should reach out to your OA or call corporate. I wouldn't put names on a public forum.

From My DS:

"I checked on your Tesla and it is still scheduled to start production next week….. the factory builds in groups so if they are building a particular build one week where there are openings in the production line, they will pull up orders in that same build category to fill the spots. The factory is always moving things around week to week, so it’s hard to say exactly what configurations they are currently working on."

I think this is BS, based on the tour videos and reports from people saying that there is not any "batching" that happens in the factory, but I thought is was nice of him to try and ease my worries ;-)

Reactions: bonaire
From My DS:

"I thought is was nice of him to try and ease my worries ;-)
I think this might the most important job the DS's have . . . . keeping us crazies calm and trying to placate our constant need for updates. I can just imagine them all getting together and swapping stories about the nut-job soon to be Tesla owners they are dealing with on a day to day basis.

@Odebek actually that would make sense, would explain why it seems random on who has had an earlier build, or has entered production already when the two of use with earlier VIN dates (than other 60/60D) still haven't. Like we're set to be built next week along with a group of others but if they have an open slot a week earlier they grab someone from our week if they have all the parts ready to go.

Unrelated seems you're a fellow TDI owner, settlement was tentatively approved today. According to the info from VW's site dedicated to this if the court approves on October 18, 2016, we'll be able to immediately get them to buy back/compensate us for or vehicles then. Wish it was sooner personally, as my registration runs out at end of August... likely going to do a planned no operation registration on the vehicle (saves me paying to register/smog check here in CA).

Unrelated seems you're a fellow TDI owner, settlement was tentatively approved today. According to the info from VW's site dedicated to this if the court approves on October 18, 2016, we'll be able to immediately get them to buy back/compensate us for or vehicles then.

Yea, was hoping to use the $27,000 buyback from VW for my 60D delivery in August, but looks like I will have two cars for 6-8 weeks. Time to dip into my savings ;-)

I received an update from my DS today. He wrote:
Since you have a lease ending we secured you the earliest production slot possible as soon as your order confirmed. While I do not have the ability to expedite production or logistics, I can definitely prioritize your pre-delivery inspection, charge, and detail once your Model S arrives at our Service Center.

Once production is completed and your Tesla is quality tested, it's securely loaded onto a train for its journey to the Midwest, and then it will make the final leg to Minneapolis by truck. The current delivery window for your vehicle is late August - Early September. I will be able to narrow this down further as I receive more data from our Tesla Logistics team.

My dad & I had talked about doing a road trip the for the two weeks ending Labor Day out to Alberta & British Columbia to visit his siblings & their kids. I haven't told my parents that I ordered a Model S yet. They've known that I've wanted one for years and I want to surprise them once it arrives by showing up at their house in it. Unfortunately, those dates are the only possible two weeks that we can do the trip this summer/fall. If my Model S doesn't arrive by August 19th then we'll have to push the trip back to next year, which I'd prefer not to do. I'm really hoping that it will move quickly through production and get delivered by August 19th at the latest.

This would explain why my delivery window just shifted... not sure what that means either. I'm hoping it doesn't delay delivery too much, as I wanted to take delivery before the registration on my current vehicle expires + before the school semester kicks off as that makes travel more difficult.

It has happened before that Tesla shut down production for a week in July to reconfigure and optimize the factory.

na-va-en_us-547x46-01.png

na-ep-en_us-704x37-01.png

Your Model S has entered production at our factory in Fremont, California. After production your Model S will be shipped via truck, rail, or sea to your nearest service center. It will then be inspected one final time and readied for your pickup.

I am STOKED! Finally a change in status! Delivery window has not changed though. Still shows August-early September