Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is kind of interesting to watch as I await production and delivery. But the thread also speaks volumes about personalities. I think it is safe to say almost every US customer participating in this thread really wants a December delivery --and 2016 tax credit, but a few posters seem to want to throw a tantrum a couple times a day to emphasize the point. What the tantrum throwers need to remember is that Tesla needs great 4th quarter sales numbers and they are surely working overtime to get as many as possible. Living in Arizona and close to the factory, it seems reasonable that my order will be processed later than one made a week after mine from a customer in NY. As Aaron Rodgers once advised concerned Packers fans: R E L A X -- and give the rest of us a break from your whining.

This thread is kind of interesting to watch as I await production and delivery. But the thread also speaks volumes about personalities. I think it is safe to say almost every US customer participating in this thread really wants a December delivery --and 2016 tax credit, but a few posters seem to want to throw a tantrum a couple times a day to emphasize the point. What the tantrum throwers need to remember is that Tesla needs great 4th quarter sales numbers and they are surely working overtime to get as many as possible. Living in Arizona and close to the factory, it seems reasonable that my order will be processed later than one made a week after mine from a customer in NY. As Aaron Rodgers once advised concerned Packers fans: R E L A X -- and give the rest of us a break from your whining.
A friend and I were discussing this thread and we could both recall at least two or three other posters from previous quarters (who will remain nameless) who posted message after message complaining about the timeline. Now that they have their vehicles, I don't think any of them are still active on TMC.

Well, what I don't like is that my DS said they process orders on a first come first served basis and that's clearly not the case. Why lie?

I actually think they're being transparent. Orders are processed on a first come first serve, that doesn't mean they're first ordered first built. Shipping logistics apply too, economies of scale.

The only painful part is Tesla makes it too accessible so we get the refresh syndrome. Like watching water boil, just seems that much longer. It doesn't help that in the US, we're used to purchasing inventory cars.

Yes. I checked and it's available at least for now.
(although mine is a 60D :))

I was going to taunt you by saying I was going to take it first, but I'm going to make mine "Plaid" just for future proofing.

Got the "In Transit" notification last night btw.

Ordered 10/10, confirmed 10/17, Delivery 12/2 in Houston. First time Tesla owner. Loving my Model S 75. Unfortunately, its at the shop getting Opticoat and an XPEL bra so I didn't get to enjoy it enough but it will be back soon

Attachments

• PROFILE.JPG
    PROFILE.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 56
Update to my September 1st delivery:
Lost traction during a freeway exit turning slight right. Car slid into/onto a concrete center divider and ran through multiple signs/objects.
4 interior airbags deployed, bumper, fenders, hood, windshield, front driver tire, and unknown under carriage damage. Car would not move out of park after the accident. 12v battery warning message was being displayed. Car was completely dead several hours later and wouldn't even lock/unlock, or open doors.
Car was towed to a Tesla Certified Body shop in Oceanside, CA. Initial repair estimate from insurance company is $20,000 however that only covered body panels and cosmetic components. Body shop will give a more detailed estimate once their tear into it.

Accident details:
Autopilot: disengaged
Speed: Estimated 30-45mph
Road conditions: dry. Lots of gravel/rocks. Asphalt road. Gradual right hand turn after freeway offramp.

Lost traction during a freeway exit turning slight right. Car slid into/onto a concrete center divider and ran through multiple signs/objects.
4 interior airbags deployed, bumper, fenders, hood, windshield, front driver tire, and unknown under carriage damage. Car would not move out of park after the accident. 12v battery warning message was being displayed. Car was completely dead several hours later and wouldn't even lock/unlock, or open doors.
Car was towed to a Tesla Certified Body shop in Oceanside, CA. Initial repair estimate from insurance company is $20,000 however that only covered body panels and cosmetic components. Body shop will give a more detailed estimate once their tear into it.

Accident details:
Road conditions: dry. Lots of gravel/rocks. Asphalt road. Gradual right hand turn after freeway offramp.
That's sad to hear. Hard to imagine such a slow speed and turn would cause so much damage.

Accident details:

Oh "deer", based on my minor accident with a deer that the insurance first estimated at just over $6,000 has turned in to an almost $19,000 repair with simple body parts like the front bumper cover being backordered for almost 2 months now. (and still waiting) Hope you get to be back in yours before March of next year :( BTW, my car was totally drivable without A/P TACC functions and no airbags were deployed.

Producing cars in the same order that people confirmed their orders would make perfect sense--if they were shipping them via UPS. Managing the supply chain to maximize the number of cars delivered in any given quarter is a tad more complex. Generally, from what I've read, during the first month of the quarter cars are produced for the European market, as they have the longest shipping times. Next comes cars for the East Coast, then the center of the country and finally, cars for the West Coast are produced. That's why, for example, the car i ordered 10/22 (East Coast delivery) is being produced on the same timing as people who ordered in the 2-3 weeks subsequent to when I ordered. (The additional complexity is managing the production line itself, which I haven't even taken into consideration). Calm down, everyone is going to get their cars. Trust that as much as you want to get your car in 2016, Tesla wants to deliver it in 2016, as well.

Producing cars in the same order that people confirmed their orders would make perfect sense--if they were shipping them via UPS. Managing the supply chain to maximize the number of cars delivered in any given quarter is a tad more complex. Generally, from what I've read, during the first month of the quarter cars are produced for the European market, as they have the longest shipping times. Next comes cars for the East Coast, then the center of the country and finally, cars for the West Coast are produced. That's why, for example, the car i ordered 10/22 (East Coast delivery) is being produced on the same timing as people who ordered in the 2-3 weeks subsequent to when I ordered. (The additional complexity is managing the production line itself, which I haven't even taken into consideration). Calm down, everyone is going to get their cars. Trust that as much as you want to get your car in 2016, Tesla wants to deliver it in 2016, as well.

My problem is with the east coast orders that were placed more than a month after me that have already completed production and have been shipped out while my car has been stuck in production for 14 days.

My problem is with the east coast orders that were placed more than a month after me that have already completed production and have been shipped out while my car has been stuck in production for 14 days.

I went through the tracker and I have to agree with you. After every reasoning and excuse...others have had P100DLs, others were in GA, others ordered before you, after you, same color, different colors, options, etc. You seem to be a special case, did you upset Elon personally?

Side note on delivery, I just read this article:
http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2016/12/05/tesla-motors-easy-does-it

and a couple of things stuck out that has been in this thread:
  • Delivery truck activity seemed more than 2X vs. last year…with many trucks leaving for the east coast..even today…Saturday
  • This Saturday seemed to be full working day
I'm surprised to hear they were using trucks to the east coast, but this would probably speed up and reduce the total # of cars needed before a shipment heads off.

I'm surprised to hear they were using trucks to the east coast, but this would probably speed up and reduce the total # of cars needed before a shipment heads off.
I'm sure shipping via trucks costs more than trains but can actually be a lot faster than when shipping by train. A friend ordered a Ford Fusion Hybrid a couple years ago and it took over three weeks for delivery from Mexico to Colorado. It was agonizing for him to watch it go from Mexico to Texas, a couple places in Kansas and a couple places in Colorado before it finally made it to Denver. There were delays of a week or more as the railcars just sat waiting to be taken to the next destination.

Oh. My bad, I misunderstood. I think I'd be pissed as well.
Ordered 10/15
Confirmed 10/22
Began Production 11/29
End Production 12/5
"In transit"
Estimated delivery 12/26-1/7
Hoping for sooner. Starting to hyperventilate.

Accident details:

Damn! So sorry to hear that but at least your ok which ultimately is the most important thing.

Reactions: Buddy

So I pinged my DS again to see if there was a problem or something given how long my car has been in production. I got the following response which was a complete blow-off. Awesome.

upload_2016-12-5_16-45-58.png