Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at aviators99's VIN: 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 I thought Sig's had an "S" before the final numbers? If so and they're changing the "S" to a "P" for GP cars (R's and P's) then why wouldn't they start over? As for Marketing cars, aren't they S012xx?
This is all very confusing and very exciting at the same time. Still hoping for delivery before Thanksgiving here.
My expectation/understanding was the following...

For the prototype, alpha, beta, etc. cars:
- _##### where _ is anything but F,S,P and ##### can be anything though the higher numbers are typically newer production date

For North American customers:
- F00000 thru F00041: Founder's series
- S00000 thru S01200: Signature series
- P01201 thru ...: General production (and perhaps marketing vehicles not initially for sale to customers)

For European and other markets:
- ?##### where ? is currently unknown and the starting ##### is currently unknown

Tesla can and might reset the ##### to 00001 for the Signature vehicles in other markets, as they will be likely be changing digit 6 anyway:
Digit 6, Restraint System: 1 = Manual Type 2 USA Seat Belts, Dual Front Airbags, Front/Rear Side Airbags, Knee Airbags

Looking at aviators99's VIN: 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 I thought Sig's had an "S" before the final numbers? If so and they're changing the "S" to a "P" for GP cars (R's and P's) then why wouldn't they start over? As for Marketing cars, aren't they S012xx?

It has been confirmed to me that production cars do start with P012xx. I have no information why and I don't know where any marketing VINs fit in.

At last! I took delivery today of SSL 235, VIN 277 (one of the infamous 28!). Tim delivered it to my home in Mill Valley, CA and gave me a thorough rundown. Config is Sig Performance, Signature Red, Tan, CF Interior, Panoramic Roof, Spoiler, Grey 21" Wheels, Paint Armor. Due Bill is parcel shelf and spoiler and the "chin cubby" was installed. Thanks to Tim and my old friend Doreen!

At last! I took delivery today of SSL 235, VIN 277 (one of the infamous 28!). Tim delivered it to my home in Mill Valley, CA and gave me a thorough rundown. Config is Sig Performance, Signature Red, Tan, CF Interior, Panoramic Roof, Spoiler, Grey 21" Wheels, Paint Armor. Due Bill is parcel shelf and spoiler and the "chin cubby" was installed. Thanks to Tim and my old friend Doreen!

Not trying to cause a scene, but I find it hard to believe that SSL235/VIN277 is part of the "dreaded 28" considering that there are some people that have much wider discrepancies between reservation # and VIN#. For instance I'm S#69/VIN499 and I still don't have a concrete idea when my car is going to arrive. I've been told I'm not one of the "dreaded 28".

Not trying to cause a scene, but I find it hard to believe that SSL235/VIN277 is part of the "dreaded 28" considering that there are some people that have much wider discrepancies between reservation # and VIN#. For instance I'm S#69/VIN499 and I still don't have a concrete idea when my car is going to arrive. I've been told I'm not one of the "dreaded 28".
SSL, please note. Prior to all Ses.

After attending the Miami Beach store opening celebration, I was verbally given the last four digits of my VIN# by the Program Manager, Delivery Experience. (I didn't ask for it this was an unsolicited jesture.) VIN#1055 for Performance Signature #1232. He will forward the complete VIN# to me via email. I didn't ask for an update for my delivery window, but he did stay that Tesla is hoping to deliver all Signatures (I assume he was referring to US Signatures) by the end of this month.

Larry

It has been confirmed to me that production cars do start with P012xx. I have no information why and I don't know where any marketing VINs fit in.
I have no reason to doubt the information and it doesn't matter one way or another, it's just odd. They reset from Founders to Sigs but not from Sigs to GP? Whacky. Again, don't care if they do or not but as the R's get closer I'm spending more and more time on TMC and that leads me to ask inane questions :)

The car was quite clearly delayed. VINs in 700 range have been delivered before his. And, sadly, yours as well.

Going to the factory for 9am tour and delivery of Sig 1058 (VIN 776). Car was ready earlier this week, but we were on vacation and just arrived home this evening. I actually finalized all the paperwork while staring at the Harris Ranch supercharger on our drive back in an ICE (last trip for that!)
Will post more tomorrow at some point (busy day planned for the car, giving many rides to people at Pixar charity event)

Sig 737, VIN 628 - latest news is my MSP is in transit to Baltimore and delivery is expected in the next 2 weeks - original MVPA delivery window of September followed by a two week delivery window of 10/12-26.

PS - Final DocuDign paperwork has delivery on or about 11/12 and mileage is noted at 95.

Patience...

Last edited:
@Sparrow - I am in the Atlanta area as well (though I won't get my car until April/May). Did having to officially purchase the car in CA and have it delivered to GA cause any other problems, such as having to pay sales tax in CA? Did you elect to pay the one-time title ad valorem tax, or stick with the sales tax + annual ad valorem tax?

I paid Tesla, the Georgia sales tax to Tesla. It is confusing that I will have a temporary California tag until Tesla processes the Georgia Tile and registration, but I don't believe I have heard of any sales tax problems with this transaction. With respect to the one time 7% tax (6.5% for the first year or so) so that you will no longer have to pay annual advalorem, that election, I believe is made on or after March 1, 2013. Although a 2012 transaction can qualify for this new method, I believe you still have to make that election after March 1. I don't know any of this with 100% certainty, since I don't have the car nor do i have the Georgia title and registration. Interestingly, I got USAA to insure my car in advance so that I know Georgia has that information in their computers, but USAA called me yesterday to say that Georgia rejected the VIN number of my S. I don't yet know what the issue is, but I assume I will find out early this week.

To stay a bit on topic. My car is on a truck somewhere. My DS hasn't been able to get in touch with the driver so I have no idea when it might arrive here. My delivery window ends tomorrow so I won't get it during the delivery window. My bill of lading that Tesla forwarded to me says delivery on Monday the 12th, but time is running out on that too since my DS has to travel almost 700 miles to me and I'm sure his travel can't be made without much less than 24 hour notice. Hopefully more good news to follow shortly.

Got a call from my DS this afternoon with the surprising news that the delivery truck should be here tomorrow; later call from truck driver speculating on an afternoon delivery timeframe on Sunday! Res 414, VIN 814

That was faster progress than I expected for coast-to-coast travel (in theory it was loaded on Sunday or Monday, but DS wasn't sure of the route / stops prior to arriving in Raleigh, have to grill the truck driver tomorrow!)

Weather forecast tomorrow sounds perfect for NC this late in the year: sunny and high around 72! :cool:

Got a call from my DS this afternoon with the surprising news that the delivery truck should be here tomorrow; later call from truck driver speculating on an afternoon delivery timeframe on Sunday! Res 414, VIN 814

That was faster progress than I expected for coast-to-coast travel (in theory it was loaded on Sunday or Monday, but DS wasn't sure of the route / stops prior to arriving in Raleigh, have to grill the truck driver tomorrow!)

Weather forecast tomorrow sounds perfect for NC this late in the year: sunny and high around 72! :cool:

Awesome! Congrats!

After attending the Miami Beach store opening celebration, I was verbally given the last four digits of my VIN# by the Program Manager, Delivery Experience. (I didn't ask for it this was an unsolicited jesture.) VIN#1055 for Performance Signature #1232. He will forward the complete VIN# to me via email. I didn't ask for an update for my delivery window, but he did stay that Tesla is hoping to deliver all Signatures (I assume he was referring to US Signatures) by the end of this month.

Larry

It's getting close Larry! It appears rhat we should get ours before Christmas. I had heard the store opening had been delayed, but I guess not for long. How does it compare to the Dania Beach store? Steve.