Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally picked up my MS 75D yesterday from the Springfield showroom and the entire process was smooth and very professional. No build issues, car was prepped nicely (Opti-Coat looks amazing - and I got allot of complements from the Tesla folks onsite). The detailer showed me one paint defect on the litigate that I'm totally ok with. Over all I am extremely pleased with the entire process.

I drove the car yesterday and put on over 100 miles so far, here are my initial observations...

• This is not a car, it is truly a spaceship, ride/drive is unreal!
  • Autopilot is amazing.
  • Took it to Supercharge, wow it charges very fast, I found myself rushing from the Starbucks to get back to the car to avoid any idling fees.
  • Car is not as big as I had thought (was concerned fitting into my garage, no issues).
  • Slacker Radio is not that bad, yes it buffered sometimes but that due the cell coverage in my area so I'm ok with it so far.
  • The backup camera is probably my favorite feature (leaving it on while driving is awesome!).
  • Glass roof is beautiful!
  • Going to need to be a bit more aware with the white interior seats but I don't regret getting them just yet :)
Word of advice to others with garages....when your car is in the garage and you want to check to see if your lift gate will open fully in your garage - yes it does BUT be aware when you open the garage door with the lift gate open, I found out the hard way :( (lesson learned).

I'm off to drive it some more......
Beautiful car! I ordered the same color combo. Finished production on 12/12, arrived at AZ SvC on 12/15 and am still waiting for home delivery!!!! How do you like the all black dash now that you see it in person?

Reactions: jmnieves
Our delivery has been rescheduled again! Now we are scheduled for 12/29. Hopefully. This delivery process is frustrating.

And now we’re on reschedule number 3 or 4 (I’ve lost count) for 12/31! We have to take delivery then otherwise we will have to go through the whole financing dance again. Only annoying because I enjoy churning credit cards. At what point do you escalate to corporate?

And now we’re on reschedule number 3 or 4 (I’ve lost count) for 12/31! We have to take delivery then otherwise we will have to go through the whole financing dance again. Only annoying because I enjoy churning credit cards. At what point do you escalate to corporate?

My car went into production a few days after yours (12/11) and I already took delivery in Bellevue on 12/22. Everything went very smoothly for me, so it's weird to hear about "logistical" issues for another PNW delivery with what seems like very similar timeline. But be that as it may, it sounds like you should be getting your car soon. It's most definitely worth the wait, so just be a bit more patient. On the bright side, even if you take delivery in 2018, the EV tax credit remains intact, so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Not sure escalating to corporate would do you any good. I'd talk to your OA/DS on the financing thing to see if they can help with extending the approval period particularly since the delay isn't your fault here. I'd also talk to them to see if they could comp you 1-2 annual maintenance for your inconvenience.

My car went into production a few days after yours (12/11) and I already took delivery in Bellevue on 12/22. Everything went very smoothly for me, so it's weird to hear about "logistical" issues for another PNW delivery with what seems like very similar timeline. But be that as it may, it sounds like you should be getting your car soon. It's most definitely worth the wait, so just be a bit more patient. On the bright side, even if you take delivery in 2018, the EV tax credit remains intact, so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Not sure escalating to corporate would do you any good. I'd talk to your OA/DS on the financing thing to see if they can help with extending the approval period particularly since the delay isn't your fault here. I'd also talk to them to see if they could comp you 1-2 annual maintenance for your inconvenience.

Interesting. We spoke to our DS today and he didn't seem very confident about a 31st delivery. He said that shipping logistics were really out of Tesla's hands once the car was on a truck. There is a lack of drivers able to move our and six other cars to Portland. He did mention the federal EV credit still being good and they will extend financing, but didn't know about Oregon's new "vehicle privilege and use tax" that goes into effect on Jan 1st. Will be interesting to see whether that will affect us. Thanks for the advice :)

My delivery experience.

We finally got our red MS 75D today. To recap:
DS originally told us that the car was scheduled to arrive and be delivered on 18 Dec, which eventually slipped to 19 Dec. On 18 Dec, he told me that due to rules on how long the delivery truck driver could drive, it wouldn't be ready until 22 Dec. DS apologized and manager authorized 2 years free maintenance as compensation. When the car did arrive, they found that it had been damaged in shipment (two deep scrapes on the rear bumper). There was an unpainted bumper locally available, however, and arrangements were made to have the car repaired and delivered today (29 Dec), including a couple of days downtime for Christmas. The delivery was reconfirmed on 27 Dec, so we went to pick it up this morning, and had a mixed experience.

The bad: When we arrived we saw that the car had NOT been repaired. It seems that there had been a breakdown in communication between the DS, the repair manager, and the outside body shop that was painting the bumper. The repair manager met with us and told us that the part had been painted and that they would get it installed ASAP today. In the meantime, we continued with the orientation and paperwork. We also identified some problems with misaligned body panels, trim, and a tail light housing. All in all, the process took more than six hours. When we finally got it home, I couldn't get the charging cord to connect, sync and start charging the car--despite the fact that I had been able to do so easily with the HPWC at the store.

The good: All of the Tesla personnel were nice, helpful, and genuinely sorry for the various lapses and problems. The new bumper was installed and the paint job looks like factory original. The store repair shop was able to correct some--but not all--of the misalignments, but they are ordering a new trim part and tail light assembly that they hope will enable them to make it better. I never got any argument about fixing any of these cosmetic problems, and the store paid for a nice lunch for my wife and I at a local restaurant while we waited. The manager authorized a further two years (4 total) of free scheduled maintenance, and I asked for (and will get) free locking wheel lugs. When I got home and experienced the charger problem, the store dispatched a new charging cord to my house--and threw in a free HPWC as compensation for my continued inconvenience.

Bottom line: My experience seems to have validated some of the complaints we've seen about Tesla build quality and process dysfunction. On the other hand, they seem genuinely committed to making wrongs right, and providing compensation for all of these frustrations. I'm still optimistic that I'll be all right in the end.

And I LOVE driving the car!

Ordered my MS 75D on 11/3 and was originally told it was to be produced in the first couple of weeks in December with delivery likely the latter half of December. Delivery date was setup on 12/22, but it fell through and it was rescheduled for 12/29. Unfortunately, that date fell through too and I was told my car would be delivered in the 1st or 2nd week of January. I was comped a couple years of Tesla maintenance for the trouble. Car still shows in production with an updated VIN number to match 2018 instead of 2017. Hoping it arrives soon!

Interesting. We spoke to our DS today and he didn't seem very confident about a 31st delivery. He said that shipping logistics were really out of Tesla's hands once the car was on a truck. There is a lack of drivers able to move our and six other cars to Portland. He did mention the federal EV credit still being good and they will extend financing, but didn't know about Oregon's new "vehicle privilege and use tax" that goes into effect on Jan 1st. Will be interesting to see whether that will affect us. Thanks for the advice :)

Update: We took delivery today! A whole 75 days since ordering. Car was flawless less some siding (not sure what it’s called?) coming unglued on the door seam. Service should be able to fix that. Now to drive around until autopilot calibrates! Such an amazing vehicle.

My delivery experience.

We finally got our red MS 75D today. To recap:
DS originally told us that the car was scheduled to arrive and be delivered on 18 Dec, which eventually slipped to 19 Dec. On 18 Dec, he told me that due to rules on how long the delivery truck driver could drive, it wouldn't be ready until 22 Dec. DS apologized and manager authorized 2 years free maintenance as compensation. When the car did arrive, they found that it had been damaged in shipment (two deep scrapes on the rear bumper). There was an unpainted bumper locally available, however, and arrangements were made to have the car repaired and delivered today (29 Dec), including a couple of days downtime for Christmas. The delivery was reconfirmed on 27 Dec, so we went to pick it up this morning, and had a mixed experience.

The bad: When we arrived we saw that the car had NOT been repaired. It seems that there had been a breakdown in communication between the DS, the repair manager, and the outside body shop that was painting the bumper. The repair manager met with us and told us that the part had been painted and that they would get it installed ASAP today. In the meantime, we continued with the orientation and paperwork. We also identified some problems with misaligned body panels, trim, and a tail light housing. All in all, the process took more than six hours. When we finally got it home, I couldn't get the charging cord to connect, sync and start charging the car--despite the fact that I had been able to do so easily with the HPWC at the store.

The good: All of the Tesla personnel were nice, helpful, and genuinely sorry for the various lapses and problems. The new bumper was installed and the paint job looks like factory original. The store repair shop was able to correct some--but not all--of the misalignments, but they are ordering a new trim part and tail light assembly that they hope will enable them to make it better. I never got any argument about fixing any of these cosmetic problems, and the store paid for a nice lunch for my wife and I at a local restaurant while we waited. The manager authorized a further two years (4 total) of free scheduled maintenance, and I asked for (and will get) free locking wheel lugs. When I got home and experienced the charger problem, the store dispatched a new charging cord to my house--and threw in a free HPWC as compensation for my continued inconvenience.

Bottom line: My experience seems to have validated some of the complaints we've seen about Tesla build quality and process dysfunction. On the other hand, they seem genuinely committed to making wrongs right, and providing compensation for all of these frustrations. I'm still optimistic that I'll be all right in the end.

And I LOVE driving the car!

Thanks for the good recap. Unfortunate to hear of the problems but glad to hear they offered the free maintenance as compensation. Did you have to ask/push for this or did they offer it on their own?

Also was there any sort of a checklist you used/followed to make sure you didn’t miss anything? If so, would you be willing to share that checklist for others to use?

Took delivery on 12/30.

While it wasn’t as perfect as I wanted it was still probably the highlight of my December. (Can’t say year because got married in Oct and wife would probably kill me if she ever found this forum…) Anyways, the DS and his team were amazing, they made us very comfortable and feel like our delivery was the most important of the day, apparently there was about 70 of them. However, there were a lot of things that needed to be addressed and they said it could be a couple of weeks. I am a bit worried as it is going to delay my ability to xpel and opticoat my car.

Issues:

-Paint scratches/issues in these areas: lower driver’s side panel, corner of bumper where the trunk meets it, rear wheel well

-Passenger side rear alcantara was loose and hanging down from the inside

-Car was not detailed and had mud all over the wheels and rear wheel well

-Small dent in rear bumper

-Chrome trim alignment

Not sure how to go about getting something scheduled with them or how long it typically takes so any advice would be great.

Thanks for the good recap. Unfortunate to hear of the problems but glad to hear they offered the free maintenance as compensation. Did you have to ask/push for this or did they offer it on their own?

Also was there any sort of a checklist you used/followed to make sure you didn’t miss anything? If so, would you be willing to share that checklist for others to use?

They offered the free maintenance and high power wall charger as comp. I asked for the wheel locks. I didn't have to push, but it was pretty obvious that I was unhappy/disappointed--as anyone would have been.

I didn't have a particular checklist, just looked over everything carefully--I had plenty of time to do it. Pay attention to the panel alignments, surface dirt, light housings, etc. Also, make sure all the lights work, including the courtesy lights under doors, handles, etc. Be sure the charger connects into the socket properly--the technician told me they recently tightened up the specs. I'd also suggest plugging in your mobile charging cord while you're at the store rather than just their HPWC--mine was a bit finicky. I think I'm also going to pay a visit to a Supercharger station within easy round trip range soon--just to make sure it will actually connect and charge before I make a road trip where finding out it won't would be a disaster.

Some things you can't check until you get it on the road, or get it home--such as cruise control and Homelink. I didn't have any problems with those, though.

They offered the free maintenance and high power wall charger as comp. I asked for the wheel locks. I didn't have to push, but it was pretty obvious that I was unhappy/disappointed--as anyone would have been.

I didn't have a particular checklist, just looked over everything carefully--I had plenty of time to do it. Pay attention to the panel alignments, surface dirt, light housings, etc. Also, make sure all the lights work, including the courtesy lights under doors, handles, etc. Be sure the charger connects into the socket properly--the technician told me they recently tightened up the specs. I'd also suggest plugging in your mobile charging cord while you're at the store rather than just their HPWC--mine was a bit finicky. I think I'm also going to pay a visit to a Supercharger station within easy round trip range soon--just to make sure it will actually connect and charge before I make a road trip where finding out it won't would be a disaster.

Somemakr things you can't check until you get it on the road, or get it home--such as cruise control and Homelink. I didn't have any problems with those, though.

Good to know. Makes sense. I’m curious to know, specifically what were you looking for with the inspection of the light housings?

Good tip about checking the mobile charger. I’m only going to have access to a 110V in my condo and will be using the mobile charger every day for that outlet. Is there anything I should be telling the electrician who is installing the port at my parking stall to make sure to test before he completes the job? Specific power requirements?

Also what did you do to solve the “finicky-ness” of your mobile charger?

Thanks!

First post! I've been reading these forums for a while and I'm constantly impressed by the sense of community :)

Has anyone ordered since wanche (order confirmed 11/5, delivered 12/22) and gotten a VIN/delivery date? My order for an MS 75D was confirmed on 12/17 but I still only have a message that my order has been confirmed and scheduled for production on my account page.

I believe people were getting VINs as quickly as 7 days after order confirmation back in October. The model 3 push must really be putting a pause on production of other models.

Good to know. Makes sense. I’m curious to know, specifically what were you looking for with the inspection of the light housings?

Good tip about checking the mobile charger. I’m only going to have access to a 110V in my condo and will be using the mobile charger every day for that outlet. Is there anything I should be telling the electrician who is installing the port at my parking stall to make sure to test before he completes the job? Specific power requirements?

Also what did you do to solve the “finicky-ness” of your mobile charger?

Re: the light housings--look for misalignments, cracks, and water ingress.
Re: the mobile charger--if there's any way at all to get 240V supply to your parking spot, do it. Night and day difference. In any case, get as high an amperage circuit as possible. If 110V, get a 20A circuit. If 240V get a 50A (or at least 40A) circuit. I understand you should only run a circuit continuously at 80% of rated capacity, so that's a maximum of 32A for a 40A circuit; 40A for a 50A circuit. Gen I mobile charger cords will handle 40A, but Gen II cords only do 32A, so there's less need for a 50A circuit if you have a Gen II cord.
Re: finicky charger plug into car--I just have to press HARD and STRAIGHT into the socket. Not as easy as it might be, but my technique is getting better.

First post! I've been reading these forums for a while and I'm constantly impressed by the sense of community :)

Has anyone ordered since wanche (order confirmed 11/5, delivered 12/22) and gotten a VIN/delivery date? My order for an MS 75D was confirmed on 12/17 but I still only have a message that my order has been confirmed and scheduled for production on my account page.

I believe people were getting VINs as quickly as 7 days after order confirmation back in October. The model 3 push must really be putting a pause on production of other models.

Similar boat! I confirmed on 12/12 and still do not have a VIN. Contacted my DS the day after confirmation to get a ballpark of when the car might show up, DS said early to mid-Feb (but that of course, it could change at any time). Going to give it until next week before reaching out again, although the DS said they'd be in touch soon after the new year.... I imagine our experience is a result of the rush in pushing out S/X orders as per usual at EOQ, and the new efforts to grow model 3 production.

Eu here, confirmed october 7th, promised delivery in december. Then it got pushed to jan/feb and now it's pushed to march early april.

I have asked for some sort of compensation but they wont Even give me the all weather Mats:(

Did you consider buying from the inventory stock? Custom orders may be affected by activities around the Model 3 production ramp.