Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jslander and ea_roa I'm almost the same as you two also.
Took a wall connector home with me to install. Of course my panel is on the opposite end of the house. All dry wall ceiling and walls.
I was in a similar situation - main panel across the house from the driveway. If your panel has the capacity, suggest you have them set up for 100 Amps to a subpanel near the charger. Gives you options for future chargers, etc. Also, if the subpanel is visible from the HPWC, it can serve as the cut-off switch.

The thicker wire for 100 Amp cable costs a bit more per foot, labor and any carpentry will be the same. The good news is:
  • You won't have to worry about running a higher-capacity power line later. My engineering experience is that, if you can afford the extra capacity, it turns out to be useful sooner than you expected.
  • You're ready if your next EV has faster charge capability.
Tesla requires copper between the HPWC and circuit breaker. My electrician was willing to run aluminum from subpanel to main panel, but I said I would pay extra for copper. Then it's not a possible issue when selling the house. Ended up with 2-gauge copper for the run. It gets a bit warm when I charge at 72 Amps.

Though your handle suggests you've been around this circuit a few times before.

Nick fie
Yes I’m actually considering the sub panel. Who know I may have two Tesla’s before I know it. Have a three on reserve.

Yes I’ve been around wiring for a few years. Not surprised the cable got warm these cars draw a lot of amps. The aluminum can’t handle it you would have a loose wire in no time

I felt left out, but have now joined the VIN club. Sure feels slow, but we’re getting there.

Ordered 12/29/17
Confirmed 1/1/18
VIN received 2/8/18

She’s a blue 75D with sunroof and EAP headed for Danville, CA (quite close to Fremont factory)
Talk about feeling left out! Geez....I ordered Dec. 11th, confirmed Dec. 14th. VIN early January. DS said production date "tentatively" was set for Feb. 19th but could be Feb. 12th or Feb 26th. No firm production date YET. Not quite sure why it's taking MY car so long....Frustrating!

Woohoo! We upgraded our Model S recently and this morning it shows that it is in transit from the factory (Fremont to Portland, OR). That’s a single day drive. Here’s the kicker...we’re taking delivery of our Model 3 today, and I predict I’ll be back picking up my new Model S writhin a few days too!!

Model 3:
Ordered: 3/31/16
Configured : 1/17/18
VIN: 2/3/18
Delivery: 2/10/18

Model S:
Ordered: 12/18/17
Confirmed: 12/21/17
VIN: 1/15/17
Production: 2/8/18
Delivery: ETA was 2/23/18

New Tesla February!!!

Reactions: CBPfromTN
Got some update!! My Tesla is aboard Toesnberg ship which departed from Baltimore on 5 Feb and should arrive to Zeebrugge (north of Belgium) on 15 Feb. Tesla website is now correctly updated (see previous confused status in below quote) and foresees still delivery in Switzerland end of Feb - early March. My DS aims rather for end of Feb latest.

Quick wrap-up for my MS key dates so far:
Ordered: Oct 2017
Confirmed: Nov 2017
VIN: Nov 2017 but updated on early Jan 2018 (due to production year)
Production: mid Jan 2018
Embarked on boat to Europe: early Feb 2018
Delivery: planned around end of Feb 2018 (which would be not so far off from very initial estimates of mid Feb 2018)

A bit disappointing news: the previous message was based on My Tesla website. However, during a subsequent call with DS initiated by me, I was informed that I should disregard the tracking status on the above-mentioned website. DS told me my Tesla was actually rather planned to reach Baltimore on 27 Jan (while apparently manufactured on 13 Jan rather than previously 8 Jan communicated to me by DS). Boat not yet confirmed. Delivery date though estimated to be beginning of March... a bit taken aback by this news... in other words, tracking system for manufacturing/delivery on My Tesla website appears to be inaccurate at best and to stay polite...

Really hope delivery will be start of March... and that Tesla improves communication to customers...

On plus side, DS was nice and informative even though not on a proactive basis... Also, DS agreed - upon my pressing request - on lending a MS for a weekend to make up for the wait...

Any similar experience in the community?

Reactions: PrGrPa
I got cream interior too, maybe that's the first production run...
Just was looking at my order page for my VIN date and noticed this: "Your Tesla is currently in production." I can't believe no one told me! Wow. I have no clue how to find out my estimated delivery, tho. This is crazy. Computer age......I can't believe I just saw this!

Hell Yea!!! Keep us updated on your status, mine is still in production since feb 8th.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
I got cream interior too, maybe that's the first production run...

Hell Yea!!! Keep us updated on your status, mine is still in production since feb 8th.
You know, I am not sure when mine when into production for sure but last night was when I noticed it, so mine might've been in production on the 8th like yours! Did your DS call you and tell you or did you just see it on your own (like I did?)
Anyway, YAY!!!! I am beyond excited! This is fun having someone else going thru the same thing who truly understands! Thank you!

Update: VIN assigned. As others have noted above, no email announcing the change, discovery upon account log in.

Ordered: 1/10/18
Confirmed: 1/12/18
VIN: 2/9/18

Guesstimating week of 3/19/18.

Anyone believe the Model 3 rampup is effecting the Model S completion rate?

elderforester: Would you please be kind enough to do me a small favor? I cannot recall what my page said prior to my car being in production. Right now on my "order page" it says, under "What's Next?"
"Your Tesla is currently in production."
I am wondering what yours says.
Can you tell me, please?
Thank you!

Woohoo! We upgraded our Model S recently and this morning it shows that it is in transit from the factory (Fremont to Portland, OR). That’s a single day drive. Here’s the kicker...we’re taking delivery of our Model 3 today, and I predict I’ll be back picking up my new Model S writhin a few days too!!

Model 3:
Ordered: 3/31/16
Configured : 1/17/18
VIN: 2/3/18
Delivery: 2/10/18

Model S:
Ordered: 12/18/17
Confirmed: 12/21/17
VIN: 1/15/17
Production: 2/8/18
Delivery: ETA was 2/23/18

New Tesla February!!!
Awesome!!!! Congratulations! Nothing better than a new car except TWO new cars. AND nothing better than two new cars than two new Teslas!

Reactions: pdxgibby