Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess a quick final question before I decide to cancel or not.

Once the car does go into production is the process fairly smooth from that point forward in regards to the timeline? Obviously all the waiting being up front when it was just "Scheduled" Thoughts from those who went through the entire process.

I would not. I would just chalk it up to a learning experience. The main account page not being updated isn't really my frustration. I understand that that page can be delayed. I am saying I called my DS and I got multiple dates when it should have been in production and it has missed every one of those dates.

Also when I ordered to some posts above it said March delivery. 2 weeks or so after I ordered it changed to late march for those individuals who ordered later.

I do realize some have waited longer, but I also realize that if you ordered in December and live in the States your car is going to be built the same time ours is. I was advised by Tesla that only over seas orders are built in the first part of the quarter due to the massive transport time and delays. (makes sense) so they can hit their quarter numbers. So if you ordered mid Dec.... well you unfortunately will have to wait until Late Feb probably to get your car, simply due to overseas production and the time you ordered.

Long story short to your question. No I would not place another order.
My DS is kind of same thing. I don't care much about it. The Tesla S itself is just so worth for the waiting.
I probably have another month before I can get my S. For now, I just throw myself into work and my guitar learning lessons, time fles by quickly when you are occupied. :)

Once the car does go into production is the process fairly smooth from that point forward in regards to the timeline? Obviously all the waiting being up front when it was just "Scheduled" Thoughts from those who went through the entire process.

I'm still in production but they have hit every date so far. I know my DA is on vacation so Im not worried about this week.

For comparison, when I ordered I got a call, email and web update for my confirmation and Vin Number. Finance has also been good. I think I got a good DA. I would believe the DA has to enter changes to web and email.

Hang tough, ILzappy, your day will come! My MS 75D ordered/confirmed/VIN issued approximately same time as yours. Account page updates were not exactly accurate. DS email received in January and no further contact. Account page updated to "in production" February 8th, 6 days later DS contact to setup delivery, after vehicle placed in transportation. Picking up March 8!

Best advice is patience: if you absolutely need an update, contact OA... DS may be in witness protection until delivery notice.

Hang tough, ILzappy, your day will come! My MS 75D ordered/confirmed/VIN issued approximately same time as yours. Account page updates were not exactly accurate. DS email received in January and no further contact. Account page updated to "in production" February 8th, 6 days later DS contact to setup delivery, after vehicle placed in transportation. Picking up March 8!

Best advice is patience: if you absolutely need an update, contact OA... DS may be in witness protection until delivery notice.

You ordered the same time I did and you went into production already on feb 8th???

Hit the refresh button one more time before leaving work and I'm In Transit :D:D:D

Right to the date they said. Even with my DA on vacation.

Now will it go by Train or Truck? :rolleyes:

NS is now reporting rail delays in AL and GA. They have reopened another line and brought in 55 crews to deal with the back log. Hope I'm on the Northern route for now.

Reactions: DMack
Update: SLC Gallery Advisor, Jordan (who has been great to work with) did get back to me this morning. My assigned DS is apparently still in the witness protection program but he copied a different DS. S100D is now in production, scheduled for completion 2nd week of March, shipment/delivery date specifics TBD. I agree with the comments above that there seems to be an odd randomness to some of this. Looks like about 13-weeks to get 650 miles from factory to Boise. (I’m now considering a factory pick-up.)

Ordered: 12/26
Confirmed: 12/29
VIN: 1/10
Production completion OOA: 3/16
Delivery (est.): 3/27
TOTAL TAT: 13-weeks

My car will be on the line with yours then and I ordered almost 2 months after you. I would do a factory pick up if I were you. The only things that last in life are the memories..... What a great memory!

Naekuh
What model did you order? 75 or 100 ?
42amp is max for 75. Can 100 still charge at 72? I honestly don’t remember. If so yes go for the hundred in lieu of the 60a for the faster charging. I was concerned about it until I priced out the cable today and said forget it.
There building a super charger within 10 min of my office.

Yes. The 100 can charge at 72.

Also, a 14-50 will charge at something like 29 miles per hour. I intend to daily drive mine and charge it to 80 % which is 268 miles. That's just over 9 hours of charging overnight with the 50 amp service. Rarely will it ever be near empty and a 50 amp draw on a 200 amp service should be safe even in summer with both central ACs going.

Why go higher amp service unless you have 2 EVs to charge at once?

Is my math wrong or does this make sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: Out4aDuck
I remember when I ordered a Lexus on special order. The timeline was much longer than 3 months. A Harley in the 90s took almost a year.

I think the problem here is that they give us a personal page to keep track of the happenings and we see no activity and some take it as nothing is happening.

Don't get discouraged. The excitement of ownership will far outweigh the journey you took to get there AND you will have a story about how HARD it is to get one of these for all the looky-Lou's!

Reactions: nsxpert

I recommend you not to get a tesla...
It seems you cant handle the waiting game Tesla has.
This game doesnt just apply to new cars, it also applies to parts in the future if you need repairs or refurbs.
You will always play this game, because Tesla is still a young company, so they do not have a defined chain of information.

However i will not recommend you canceling your order and losing out on 2000 dollars.

Also you will probably forever regret canceling when you see that model S next to you drive off silently.

Reactions: DMack
Good idea. I called my OA and even though he doesn't have access to the production schedule and he couldn't give me a status report, he could offer some insight. He said that they have been pushing out cars and the DS delivery center has a very full schedule. My DS has been responsive in the past, if they have back to back deliveries I can understand the delayed response.

Hmm, interesting ... my OA was able to look up the production status and, right after my convo, the status magically changed”

This has been a common issue over the years. Haven’t seen this bad in a while, but others have been ready to give up, and then get the car just before canceling and being very happy they held out. I’ve never heard a complaint.
Sorry for the challenging experience. Buying a car should be fun or relatively painless.

Ordered 2/20
Confirmed 2/23
VIN 2/23 (wow, that was fast!)

When I originally ordered, the delivery estimator said June (had just been bumped from late March). I was also told that any new orders the day I ordered would be delivered in June. However, I just talked to my DS today and he said I've been "fast tracked" for late March delivery! wow! I'm excited, but I actually had planned on having the delivery of the car in June since the lease on my current car is not up until late summer.. guess I may have to juggle 2 cars for a while?

This has been a common issue over the years. Haven’t seen this bad in a while, but others have been ready to give up, and then get the car just before canceling and being very happy they held out. I’ve never heard a complaint.
Sorry for the challenging experience. Buying a car should be fun or relatively painless.

Ordered 2/20
Confirmed 2/23
VIN 2/23 (wow, that was fast!)

When I originally ordered, the delivery estimator said June (had just been bumped from late March). I was also told that any new orders the day I ordered would be delivered in June. However, I just talked to my DS today and he said I've been "fast tracked" for late March delivery! wow! I'm excited, but I actually had planned on having the delivery of the car in June since the lease on my current car is not up until late summer.. guess I may have to juggle 2 cars for a while?
Maybe we can trade places lol. I ordered mine 2/26.