Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice to see that they are being delivered in an enclosed hard-sided carriers as opposed to open or soft-covered trucks. Is this the case for all deliveries? Makes me feel a little better about that $1100 delivery fee :)

From what I've read in this forum, Tesla hires carriers with fully enclosed trucks. The truck driver for my delivery said his truck can carry four Model S. I asked him if Tesla ever ships using those trucks that expose the car. He said that it's very unlikely due to a strict policy that Tesla has for making sure that the car is as spotless as possible when delivered. My car was pretty close to spotless, it had some dust on the outside, a little grime around driver door, and some numbers on the windshield that was yet to be cleaned off. The driver helped detail it before I signed.

My carrier mentioned that Tesla is handling it's deliveries similar to Maserati, Porche, and Ferrari. He said he knows this because he delivers those cars too. Though he did mention that he get more business now from Tesla than all the other competitors.

I've been calling my DS every day practically since I finalized my order on the 1st. After trying him 3-4 times today and getting his voicemail, I decided to try once more just now. He finally answered, instantly recognizing my voice, and said there's no update yet. He is generally very courteous and hasn't given me any tone or attitude for calling so much, I think he genuinely knows how excited I am.

Anyway, he says, Oh wait a second, it's now in Body and White. I asked what that was, he said generally once the car is assembled from the outside shell portion, the next step is body and paint which is typically a one day process but can take up to two days. He said +/- a day or two, it takes 3 days to build the car from start to finish, seeing as this is day 1, the car could be done Monday or sooner. That's the best case scenario which has me getting the car next Wednesday the 24th or Thursday the 25th. Worst case would be getting it Monday the 29th (barring any massive issues).

So I finally got an update! I'm so excited to be on the home stretch. I've just been waiting every day to see something change from my deposit status to in production. With some luck, I could be driving my new car this time next week.

I hope all of you guys that are waiting for your cars get your updates soon!

today's delivery eta date missed due to "logistics problem" (never put on truck from ca)
new delivery eta to nj approx: 7/18

purchased preconfigured inventory car: 6/20
paid/mvpa: 6/25
told coming off fremont line: 6/27
delivery to nj eta from sales: 7/8

delivered!: 7/18

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 655
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 658
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 650
Did you contact your DS or did he contact you? I still don't even know who my DS is...lol
Not to worry... No one contacted me until a few days before my car was ready to pick up. First call was to say it was on a truck on its way!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! Now the waiting is only a memory... That is certainly beautiful!

Wow. I have almost the exact same car ordered but glossy instead of matte. Finalized on July 2, lower VIN, but pickup in San Diego not 'til 8/9. I'm a little jealous of your head start.

Great quality pic. Looking at the center panel, in the top left corner where the panel meets the dash, is it just the angle of the camera or is there a gap there? The top right looks like it sits flush, but the top left looks like there might be a gap.

Just got my delivery date of August 3rd!!!
Ordered on 7/5
Finalized on 7/6 VIN 16942
Delivery on 8/3
Red S85, tech, black leather/obeche wood matte, pano, sound system

Congrats on getting your delivery date!

- - - Updated - - -

Did you contact your DS or did he contact you? I still don't even know who my DS is...lol

If you call the 877-798-3752 number, press 3, then 2, someone should give you a status update and / or connect you to your DS.

- - - Updated - - -

That red is beautiful.

Here's the email I got today (hadn't heard anything since I confirmed on the 6th)

Dear Ken –
Great news! Your Tesla Model S is about to enter production and we’re ready to schedule a date for you to pick up your car here at our Van Nuys Delivery Center. Please select a date/time below that would be convenient for you:

Saturday August 3: 11am or 1pm
Monday August 5: 12pm or 2pm
Tuesday, August 6: 10am or 12pm

Tesla Van Nuys Delivery Center
6919 Hayvenhurst Ave
Van Nuys, CA 91406

In addition, I’ll need the following important items to prepare your delivery paperwork:

1. Email to me a scan/copy of your driver’s license & insurance card (does not need have Model S included, just needs to be current)
  2. Please let me know how will you be paying for your Model S? Options include financing through your bank/credit union, through Tesla Finance (link to application in your MyTesla account) or personal payment in full.

Once I have this information, I’ll book your scheduled pick-up date/time and send you an official confirmation. We look forward to meeting you.

Best regards,
Dave

Of course I took the earliest time on Saturday!

Here's the email I got today (hadn't heard anything since I confirmed on the 6th)

Dear Ken –
Great news! Your Tesla Model S is about to enter production and we’re ready to schedule a date for you to pick up your car here at our Van Nuys Delivery Center. Please select a date/time below that would be convenient for you:

Saturday August 3: 11am or 1pm
Monday August 5: 12pm or 2pm
Tuesday, August 6: 10am or 12pm

Tesla Van Nuys Delivery Center
6919 Hayvenhurst Ave
Van Nuys, CA 91406

In addition, I’ll need the following important items to prepare your delivery paperwork:

1. Email to me a scan/copy of your driver’s license & insurance card (does not need have Model S included, just needs to be current)
  2. Please let me know how will you be paying for your Model S? Options include financing through your bank/credit union, through Tesla Finance (link to application in your MyTesla account) or personal payment in full.

Once I have this information, I’ll book your scheduled pick-up date/time and send you an official confirmation. We look forward to meeting you.

Best regards,
Dave

Of course I took the earliest time on Saturday!

Of course you did, I know when I get the shipping phone call, those will be the longest 2-3 days for me!

Not to worry... No one contacted me until a few days before my car was ready to pick up. First call was to say it was on a truck on its way!

If you call the 877-798-3752 number, press 3, then 2, someone should give you a status update and / or connect you to your DS.

Thanks both of you! While I want the car as soon as possible the main reason I am curious about the status is I want to know at what point I need to provide the cash money to them. I've heard some had to pay before they would put it on the truck while others were able to pay at delivery depending on what state they live in...I don't want to get the call asking for my money and have my delivery delayed because I didn't have the money ready!

Thanks both of you! While I want the car as soon as possible the main reason I am curious about the status is I want to know at what point I need to provide the cash money to them. I've heard some had to pay before they would put it on the truck while others were able to pay at delivery depending on what state they live in...I don't want to get the call asking for my money and have my delivery delayed because I didn't have the money ready!

My DS told me that they needed proof of payment before they put it on the truck. That's a copy of the mailed check, electronic check, or wire. I signed my paperwork last Saturday and made my payment last Friday.

Hahahaha.....I had to take my DS out to a nice lunch (and wanted to take him out to drinks) because of what I put him through during my delivery experience.

You've been waiting days for a response from your DS? Wow, if my DS hasn't replied in two hours, I'm on the phone calling every 20 mins like a stalker ex girlfriend.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that's terrible. Not like it matters now, but for short trips I always use Southwest, they don't charge me any change fees and they always let me change my tickets. Sorry to hear bro.

Hahahaha.....I had to take my DS out to a nice lunch (and wanted to take him out to drinks) because of what I put him through during my delivery experience.

Yep. We do not intend, but usually do, abuse our DS's...Sent mine a present as she put up with calls/emails/questions. Cecily...If you read these forums..THANKS again Al