Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need some input. What would you do? I ordered the MS performance with FSD back in October and delayed my order to see what the refresh would have in store. Im torn between the Plaid and the LR. Its a big jump in price. By using the calculator on the site it's 600.00 more per month. Ouch. I would hate to have to live with the fact of regretting I didn't get the Plaid. Should I just skip the Plaid ( party trick 0-60 in 1.99 sec)? Tesla put us in a bad position.

I need some input. What would you do? I ordered the MS performance with FSD back in October and delayed my order to see what the refresh would have in store. Im torn between the Plaid and the LR. Its a big jump in price. By using the calculator on the site it's 600.00 more per month. Ouch. I would hate to have to live with the fact of regretting I didn't get the Plaid. Should I just skip the Plaid ( party trick 0-60 in 1.99 sec)? Tesla put us in a bad position.

We, my friend, are sharing a boat together. I ordered the pre-refresh Performance S. So I spent several sleepless nights wrestling in my mind: do I go with the LR or the Plaid. (Plaid+ is out of the question as I need a car mid April). I can afford the increased price of the car, but I am not one to just throw money around. I don’t have a fancy house and I don’t have a boat and I don’t have an airplane. I live very simply and have never been into material stuff or trying to keep up with the Jones’s. So this car was a big extravagant stretch for me. My one vice is I am a car guy. Always loved cars since before I could legally drive one.

I went with the Plaid. My reason is that I don’t want to spend $80k on a car and have regrets. I’m not a YOLO guy, but I did envision driving my new LR and seeing the Plaid on the road and having that tiny sigh in my belly with maybe a tinge of envy thrown in. I’ll drive my Plaid happily knowing that I am in the quickest car on the planet and have zero regrets. If the novelty wears off and I’m sick of the huge price tag, I’ll sell it, cut my losses, and move on.

• Love
Reactions: unclebnz
We, my friend, are sharing a boat together. I ordered the pre-refresh Performance S. So I spent several sleepless nights wrestling in my mind: do I go with the LR or the Plaid. (Plaid+ is out of the question as I need a car mid April). I can afford the increased price of the car, but I am not one to just throw money around. I don’t have a fancy house and I don’t have a boat and I don’t have an airplane. I live very simply and have never been into material stuff or trying to keep up with the Jones’s. So this car was a big extravagant stretch for me. My one vice is I am a car guy. Always loved cars since before I could legally drive one.

I went with the Plaid. My reason is that I don’t want to spend $80k on a car and have regrets. I’m not a YOLO guy, but I did envision driving my new LR and seeing the Plaid on the road and having that tiny sigh in my belly with maybe a tinge of envy thrown in. I’ll drive my Plaid happily knowing that I am in the quickest car on the planet and have zero regrets. If the novelty wears off and I’m sick of the huge price tag, I’ll sell it, cut my losses, and move on.
Well said. I feel like we're brothers from another mother. I'll put on my big boy pants and shoot for the Plaid. But it really hurts.
Edit: Just got off the phone with my advisor and I'm going to have to settle for the LR. For less than 2sec I can't justify the 600.00 per mo increase. I'll settle for second place on the streets.

Last edited:

I went through the same situation. I shared my thought process and decision here: Model S Delivery Update

Hard to make a decision between two great alternatives for sure!

• Love
Well said. I feel like we're brothers from another mother. I'll put on my big boy pants and shoot for the Plaid. But it really hurts.
Edit: Just got off the phone with my advisor and I'm going to have to settle for the LR. For less than 2sec I can't justify the 600.00 per mo increase. I'll settle for second place on the streets.

The beauty of it is your decision isn’t final. Ever. Drive the LR for as long as you love it. If you want to switch to the Plaid, trade it in or sell it. Sure you’ll lose money, but it’s only money. The depreciation hit isn’t going to make you have to sell the house or your least-liked kid. Sure it will sting, but you’ll be happy once you mash the pedal down in the Plaid. And if you love your LR and keep it with no regrets, then you’ve made the perfect choice for an amazing and beautiful car. (Besides, nobody but us Tesla geeks can tell a Model 3 from a Model S, let alone a Plaid from anything.)

• Love
I thought about hit for a hot minute, but that damn near 50% increase is almost insulting for me to get the biggest perk of 0-60 in less than 2 seconds. Personally, living in New Jersey that might damn near be dangerous :). I am a YOLO guy and if it were a 20k increase I would likely go for it, but 40k is asking a bit much. Besides that my wife just got the 2021 Escalade (overrated) and I have kids going to college...haha. The performance it is!

I thought about hit for a hot minute, but that damn near 50% increase is almost insulting for me to get the biggest perk of 0-60 in less than 2 seconds. Personally, living in New Jersey that might damn near be dangerous :). I am a YOLO guy and if it were a 20k increase I would likely go for it, but 40k is asking a bit much. Besides that my wife just got the 2021 Escalade (overrated) and I have kids going to college...haha. The performance it is!

I am with you on that, 20k between the old 2021 LR vs Performance was an easy decision, the new gap is a bit harder to swallow especially now that LR is a satisfactory level of acceleration.

Plaid+ is outside of what I will spend for a vehicle at this stage in my life, but then again I never thought I would buy any six-figure vehicle. If people still buy cars when I turn 50 I will treat myself to whatever rules the drag strip at that time.

How are you guys getting your Account Order page updated with the new S? Mine still shows the old S I ordered and my Advisor said they won’t update the Account page until March. I don’t have any order email, order screen, nothing showing my confirmed new Model S order. I emailed him the info about the Plaid I wanted, but no “official” confirmation other then his email reply saying, “OK”.

Is this legit when buying a $130,000 car?

Is this legit when buying a $130,000 car?

You haven't bought a $130,000 car, you just have a reservation in line for $100.

I expect Tesla is scrambling to get their systems updated for the refresh, I wouldn't worry too much.

Also, in my experience, the folks at the locations are generally younger adults, while full of energy and excitement (and fun to work with), they really don't have as much information as you would think they should.

So your order screen hasn’t been updated either? No official email with the new order?

Just want to be sure it’s not just me.

....cause it usually is, just me.

I ordered after the refresh was announced, all of mine reflects what's on the website. The delivery location actually called me and confirmed that I knew I ordered a refresh and went on to say that they were told by "corporate" that backorders will be filled first.

I have. I ordered a Performance on 12/5/20. Went to edit configuration after refresh and changed to LR.
Account page was updated immediately to reflect the new configuration.

I’m afraid to edit it myself for fear of losing the $2,000 credit. I want them to edit my order on their end. I guess that’s my question. Has anyone who ordered pre-refresh had their Account Order page updated on the backend....by Tesla, not by editing the order themselves?

I have. I ordered a Performance on 12/5/20. Went to edit configuration after refresh and changed to LR.
Account page was updated immediately to reflect the new configuration.

I did the same. I posted previously, but the edit button seems to not appear in some browsers. I could only get it to show in Chrome. I edited and accepted and it now reflects the new refreshed model.

I also updated my wheels after the fact by calling my SA who put in a ticket. This update is also showing.

I’m afraid to edit it myself for fear of losing the $2,000 credit. I want them to edit my order on their end. I guess that’s my question. Has anyone who ordered pre-refresh had their Account Order page updated on the backend....by Tesla, not by editing the order themselves?

That's exactly how mine was changed. The Tesla sales person took my instructions and made the changes. They were reflected on my reservation about 12 hours later.h

I ordered on a LR plus on Jan 2nd. Yesterday SA called me and said to edit the car design so it could update to the new vehicle. He said I’d get 2k off and priority delivery. I was afraid to edit my order because Tesla may think I just placed the order since the “order placed” date was updated, but the RN is the same and I have my old confirmation email so hopefully all will be ok.
Before I updated my order my order page just said Tesla would contact me, there were no registration or financial info on the page.