Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with the Plaid. It’s only a second quicker and I’m sure the sensation will wear off rather quickly to where I won’t even notice a difference in the LR and Plaid. However, I don’t want any regrets and I was afraid that I’d always wonder if I should have bought the quickest production car in the world when I had the chance, for a steep price difference, but not earth-shattering at this price-point. ...that is, at least for a year. By then the Plaid+ will be out and I will no longer have the quickest car.

Has anyone seen the updated Model S in their Tesla account yet? I still show the pre-refresh Model S I ordered in October in my account. I pushed off delivery because of all the rumors of a refresh. The page shows the old purchase agreement, but all the registration, payment, and trade-in details are gone. I talked with my sales rep yesterday. She gave me the same $2k discount everyone has been mentioning. She originally told me I had to change it myself on my account. I was unable to so she submitted a ticket to someone. She then told me I am good, but nothing has changed in the account. I am worried my order has not been actually converted to the new model. I don't want to miss a cut-off and have to wait another few months. I am curious what others are seeing happen to their orders.
I’m in the same boat, couldnt make the changes myself so my rep said he’d have them do it on their end. Haven’t seen it update yet though. I hope this doesnt put me at the back of the line.

I have decided to go with the Long Range in lieu of my previously ordered Performance.
As I see it, here are some upsides.
  1. None of my other investments have returned 20x return from $100 spent in December 2020 ($2k discount)
  2. I was already on the fence between the Performance model over the Long Range+. The huge price increase made my choice clear.
  3. I saved $26,500 by choosing the new LR instead of the new Plaid.
  4. I have previously had a couple of cars that did 0-60 in 2.8 sec. It wears off pretty quickly. 3.1 is not that far off.
  5. I will get actual benefit from the 25 miles improvement in range (412 compared to 387 for previous Performance model.
  6. If I really want the CF interior bits, I can get them wrapped for a lot less than the $40k difference in price.
  7. I get the updated interior, heat pump (per the annual report), new chassis/battery architecture (better cooling, lighter weight), newer M3/Y motor design, cooled seats, improved sound system, improved glass roof, improved aerodynamics (.208 Cd), upgraded displays, 3rd rear seat display, door pockets, 10 TF gaming computer (not that I'll need it) and heated windshield. (Have I missed anything?)
  8. Steering yoke. Of course this is polarizing, but I like it. It is aspirational to future technology and likely employs variable ratio steering related to speed That's nothing new, it's been around since the 80's. What may be new is the range of ratios from very high at parking lot speeds to quite low at highway speed. I have had cars with very slow steering (50's and 60's classics) and very quick ratio (Ariel Atom and F1000 race car). Having a car that can manage both extremes will be a great step forward.
  9. Stalkless column. I choose to see this as a step forward as well. It may take an old codger like me a while to adapt, but so did all the changes that have come down the pike since the horse and buggy. If I can handle a hand clutch, paddle shifted Formula car in order to gain performance, I think this will work out well for me just fine.
  10. I'm ready to try out FSD, even if it's limited for the time being. I'm looking forward to the future and what it may bring and can't think of anyone who is taking us more quickly in that direction than Mr. Musk.
Hopefully I haven't made any factual errors in this list. Opinions may differ to any degree. Freedom of choice is a great and valuable thing!

Great list of benefits. Most of this is why I won’t mind if I could get an “older” one at the previous price or the new one at the new price. Although I do feel all the benefits of the new model are worth more then the $10K price increase. Based on all the posts from people with recent orders, like me, I am looking forward to getting my new toy.

Here is a photo of my F1000 cockpit. Quick ratio steering with a steering wheel similar in concept to new Model S "Yoke"
I found it very easy to adapt to it. At the end of a day at the track, I got back into my F350 dually to haul it home. Never had a problem going from one steering wheel and steering ration to another and back again.

View attachment 632074

Track is not street. How is it for doing a 3-point turn? Parallel parking?

Track is not street. How is it for doing a 3-point turn? Parallel parking?

That is obvious. What is not yet clear is to what degree (no pun intended) the variable ratio steering will be implemented. If for example at parking lot speeds or below, the tation were in the neighborhood of 120 degrees lock-to-lock and at highway speeds 2 turns lock to lock with an appropriate adjustment curve between, I think it would be quite easy to drive at speed and also very easy to park.

I had Tesla refresh my order to the higher price less the $2k. If they would have called me and said we found a new older version of the S for the original price, I would have said no. Still hurts a lot with the price increase. But I keep looking at this picture and imagining it in my driveway.
82F1712D-224F-432A-AE24-FB0FB54D9BA6.jpeg

I’m in the same boat, couldnt make the changes myself so my rep said he’d have them do it on their end. Haven’t seen it update yet though. I hope this doesnt put me at the back of the line.

I was in the same boat. I figured out that the edit configuration button wouldn't show up in firefox, but showed up just fine in chrome. I didn't test every browser, but it is possible that the button won't show up in more than just firefox.

After switching to chrome, I was able to edit and accept config. My account then switched to showing the new model properly while still showing my same order number.

I wouldn't bother calling. I made 5 calls to account service and no one even bothered to try helping until the last call. They all said my local advisor would have to fix it, but he said he didn't know how.

Finally got the call that we'll get $2k off for the refresh. Much relieved.

Was mostly annoyed that my rep had tried to just convert my order at full price within minutes of the announcement, but he says should update with the new (discounted) price on the site within 48 hours and still have delivery priority.

Reactions: Jarvisd1015
Prior to the refresh announcement, had an order placed for a Model S Performance with a delivery window of February 10 to March 10. Within an hour of the Earnings Call, I updated the order to a LR Model S, identical to SoCalDude. The delivery window changed to February 17 to March 17. Contacted my Delivery Advisor regarding the Priority Delivery, $2k discount and original order price for FSD. The Delivery Advisor confirmed the price adjustments would impact my price but would not be reflected on my account until February 28, when the system will begin accepting the price adjustments. Reading between the lines, seems to me deliveries will not begin until March.

Prior to the refresh announcement, had an order placed for a Model S Performance with a delivery window of February 10 to March 10. Within an hour of the Earnings Call, I updated the order to a LR Model S, identical to SoCalDude. The delivery window changed to February 17 to March 17. Contacted my Delivery Advisor regarding the Priority Delivery, $2k discount and original order price for FSD. The Delivery Advisor confirmed the price adjustments would impact my price but would not be reflected on my account until February 28, when the system will begin accepting the price adjustments. Reading between the lines, seems to me deliveries will not begin until March.
will you get the new refresh model

Lots of mixed feedback on the $2k showing up or not. Mine has been converted, but the $2k is not in there yet. Advisor says it will show up when I get a VIN. Others are seeing it already??

Also, when I view my order agreement, it now says my “order placed with electronically accepted terms” date is 1/30, not 1/10 as per original. That concerns me. Are others seeing their original order date? My RN# has not changed.

Last edited:
It shows the revised order date. You technically have revised your order so the order number remains.

The SA and Mgr confirmed that the $2k shows up at the end once a VIN and payment are set.

I'm hearing the same, and also same as the others on my reservation details. The $2k credit isn't here yet.

It will be interesting to hear about any VIN numbers being issued for refresh orders.

With model 3 when it was launching, there was a way to view the HTML on the reservation web page to see the VIN a few days early.

Has anyone tried that ?