Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is an interesting tidbit: DPG Media Privacy Gate

The TL;DR version is that they are stopping doing final assembly in Tilburg for the S and X - that "two models were upgraded at the end of January, which changed the production process in the United States so that assembly in the Netherlands is no longer possible, NU.nl reports."

For those who did not know, car chassis, drive units and battery packs were all shipped separately to Tilburg, where they were assembled before delivery, which let Tesla get around import duties on S and X sold in the EU.

Here is an interesting tidbit: DPG Media Privacy Gate

The TL;DR version is that they are stopping doing final assembly in Tilburg for the S and X - that "two models were upgraded at the end of January, which changed the production process in the United States so that assembly in the Netherlands is no longer possible, NU.nl reports."

For those who did not know, car chassis, drive units and battery packs were all shipped separately to Tilburg, where they were assembled before delivery, which let Tesla get around import duties on S and X sold in the EU.

Wait, so is this a good thing or bad thing? lol

Here's the dealio - 1) lack of communication, 2) guess: they bit off way more than they can chew...now, this car might have some amazing features like @Ribeyesteak's guy said that none of us were expecting and are going to love to have or the stupid stalk-less crap isn't working right.... if it is #2, then Im gonna be pissed.

Your wish is my command!
I am literally bugging my source every day for updates. They must be so busy working on this... I haven't heard anything since almost 2 weekends ago. At this point, I need to lower my expectations.

Reactions: Drew-MS
I am literally bugging my source every day for updates. They must be so busy working on this... I haven't heard anything since almost 2 weekends ago. At this point, I need to lower my expectations.

It is truly crazy - I wonder if internally that Elon still believes that a thousand or so Model S orders can go out over the next ~2 weeks (most to West Coast, I assume). Otherwise, if they thought it was going to be a delay until mid-to-late April, why not just update the website like they did for the Plaid+?

Then again, what Elon *thinks* can happen and what reality says will happen are two very different things.

Reactions: RMG007
It is truly crazy - I wonder if internally that Elon still believes that a thousand or so Model S orders can go out over the next ~2 weeks (most to West Coast, I assume). Otherwise, if they thought it was going to be a delay until mid-to-late April, why not just update the website like they did for the Plaid+?

Then again, what Elon *thinks* can happen and what reality says will happen are two very different things.
I mean why not? Model S/X line can do 2K/week and people were picking up car that literally just come off the production line on 12/31/20 to squeeze in the federal credit.

Wait, so is this a good thing or bad thing? lol

Hard to say. I just thought it was interesting as it points to a deeper re-design than just a re-skinning, which some had thought. A new battery pack, more like the 3/Y pack, could also indicate a possible supply chain reason for the delay vs some engineering (it's not working) issue, which, I think is positive.

Hard to say. I just thought it was interesting as it points to a deeper re-design than just a re-skinning, which some had thought. A new battery pack, more like the 3/Y pack, could also indicate a possible supply chain reason for the delay vs some engineering (it's not working) issue, which, I think is positive.

I really hope Elon does some kind of event to showcase all the new features and changes.

I am very excited for new MCU + GPU, Noise cancelling cabin, new AC that matches Model 3/Y and how the Yoke works.

Reactions: elguapo and Tigers
Yes, my most recent post was speculation, but thatā€™s all we have right now.

ā€œLeakedā€ communications from Tesla about double shifts arenā€™t super great either.

Ultimately, we are all trying to provide good info to one another if we can and, when there isnā€™t any, we speculate and entertain. Otherwise, nothing will show up on this forum when I hit ā€œrefreshā€ 10x per day.

If all we had were facts, weā€™d have no thread right now.

Reactions: Zee9
Based on what is going on in the ports and with suppliers in general, my guess is that the delay is supply chain related and not engineering related. Also, the yoke approval may also be holding things up. Yes, RMG0007 - this is just (educated) speculation.
Since life in general is still a bit slow due to Covid, I've been reading a lot, and watching too many youtube videos. A Tesla video posted earlier today by 'Ryan Shaw' was very informative.
He said the model s assembly line is still getting re-tooled. Unfortunately, he also said: "some order holders for the Plaid model S have said that Tesla has told them a May or June delivery timeline." I don't know how credible his information is so maybe it's just more speculation idk.

Reactions: elguapo