Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this was posted, but here is an update from Electrek... Tesla Model S Plaid buyers are starting to get some delivery dates for next month - Electrek

"During the release of Tesla’s Q1 2021 financial results, the automaker did note that “the first deliveries of the new Model S should start very shortly,” and Musk said he believes it would happen the next month, which is now in May. The CEO said that the delay had to do with making sure that the new battery pack in the updated Model S is going to be safe. We haven’t heard much since, but it now looks like things are starting to move.

Tesla customers who placed orders for new Model S vehicles have been reporting that their delivery windows have been changing a lot lately. Now several customers told Electrek that their Tesla advisors have confirmed delivery dates in early June. Two of those customers had placed orders in January and February after Tesla unveiled the new Model S Plaid and one customer placed a new order for the Model S before the unveiling.

It is still possible that some deliveries happen in May as Tesla already had Model S vehicles on orders from last year and it may try to prioritize those deliveries. Owners who ordered Model S vehicles before the new version was unveiled in January are eligible for a $2,000 price adjustment since the vehicle went up in price by about $10,000 with the new version."

1621094028528.png

• Funny
Reactions: dhanson865
Zoom in and enlarge the picture; it sits about 1'6" above the trunk. It's BIG imho. Anyhow, no matter...we'll see if it becomes std or at least an option for the MS Plaid + in 2022...definitely not happening for the MS Plaid this year...I like the std, classy matte carbon fiber rear spoiler for my MS Plaid. :cool:
How can you say it’s definitely not happening for the Plaid? Looks completely ready.

Not sure if this was posted, but here is an update from Electrek... Tesla Model S Plaid buyers are starting to get some delivery dates for next month - Electrek

During the release of Tesla’s Q1 2021 financial results, the automaker did note that “the first deliveries of the new Model S should start very shortly,” and Musk said he believes it would happen the next month, which is now in May. The CEO said that the delay had to do with making sure that the new battery pack in the updated Model S is going to be safe. We haven’t heard much since, but it now looks like things are starting to move.

Tesla customers who placed orders for new Model S vehicles have been reporting that their delivery windows have been changing a lot lately. Now several customers told Electrek that their Tesla advisors have confirmed delivery dates in early June. Two of those customers had placed orders in January and February after Tesla unveiled the new Model S Plaid and one customer placed a new order for the Model S before the unveiling.

It is still possible that some deliveries happen in May as Tesla already had Model S vehicles on orders from last year and it may try to prioritize those deliveries. Owners who ordered Model S vehicles before the new version was unveiled in January are eligible for a $2,000 price adjustment since the vehicle went up in price by about $10,000 with the new version.
Yeah Elektrek & Teslarati just seem to monitor posts and updates on here, TMC and other sites online and then write "breaking news" reporting on Tesla happenings since they cannot get any real info from Tesla directly. :rolleyes: Sad.

Last edited:
How can you say it’s definitely not happening for the Plaid? Looks completely ready.
I cannot say definitely BUT it certainly wasn't shown nor is it currently shown online on the Tesla website, nor is it discussed or mentioned on the Tesla website when ordering the vehicle. A BIG change like a BIG active rear wing spoiler (with specific advantages for racing at high speeds) should and would be mentioned when ordering the vehicle. Not happening (for now). Another example of a BIG change is the yoke 1/2, stalkless steering wheel...that's definitely shown and shows up on your order. That's definitely coming with the MS Plaid and LR for sure. Guessing again that it uses computer-controlled, drive-by-wire variable ratio steering depending on the speed and turn required.

That wing looks like it sits flush with the body, and extends when needed. I would say it's very possible it could be added at some point. My 3000GT had an active wing that laid parallel to the ground when not needed, and tilted to increase drag. A flush sitting wing would not change the appearance very much and adds a ton of cool factor.

Not only that, but the rear end has also been modified. There is no chrome/black trim above the license plate area, and that portion of the panel appears slightly concaved - ending in a slightly protruding lip - whereas it currently has no curve before meeting the trim (see comparison photos). The tail lights are also different, as they normally have the trim extended over them but that is missing as well. (EDIT: Nevermind - these are the old tails, just with the trim piece removed.) Unfortunately the tails still lack a diffuser over the LEDs, but one can hope that change is coming...

This all speaks to a more intentional design change as opposed to something just slapped on for testing purposes.

1621094023719.png

1621094131104.png

PS. The photos from Laguna Seca are making me strongly reconsider my choice of blue...

Last edited:
Zoom in and enlarge the picture; it sits about 1'6" above the trunk. It's BIG imho. Anyhow, no matter...we'll see if it becomes std or at least an option for the MS Plaid + in 2022...definitely not happening for the MS Plaid this year...I like the std, classy matte carbon fiber rear spoiler for my MS Plaid. :cool:
If you zoom in and enlarge. you can also see the mechanism that would retract that wing INTO the lid of the trunk. It looks like the wing would rotate forward, and then that curved bracket would pull it into the trunk lid, with the leading tip of the wing sitting under the back glass.

This wing would not be a wing, unless you chose to extend it. You seem to be under the impression this thing is "attached" to the top of the trunk. That thing is built in, and would have NO discernible difference in appearance from a model S without that mechanism, when it is stowed.

This doesn't look like a track car only option. If it is what appears to be a built in wing, it is coming to the production car. The only question is which version of Model S, and whether it is for this first refresh version.

If you zoom in and enlarge. you can also see the mechanism that would retract that wing INTO the lid of the trunk. It looks like the wing would rotate forward, and then that curved bracket would pull it into the trunk lid, with the leading tip of the wing sitting under the back glass.

This wing would not be a wing, unless you chose to extend it. You seem to be under the impression this thing is "attached" to the top of the trunk. That thing is built in, and would have NO discernible difference in appearance from a model S without that mechanism, when it is stowed.

This doesn't look like a track car only option. If it is what appears to be a built in wing, it is coming to the production car. The only question is which version of Model S, and whether it is for this first refresh version.

Yeah, here's a photo where the wing is mostly retracted. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't retract the remainder of the way. Also, on a closer look, those taillights are literally the existing taillights, just with the trim piece that would normally extend over them removed (you can see the indentation in the clear plastic where the trim would normally sit).

1621094991933.png

Reactions: elguapo and T-Racer

Regardless, I don't think you're getting with with the LR version. And I will be very happy not to get that thing on mine; I prefer the classy matte black, carbon fiber rear lip spoiler on my MS Plaid. I am not track racing my MS Plaid.

Last edited:
Yeah, here's a photo where the wing is mostly retracted. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't retract the remainder of the way. Also, on a closer look, those taillights are literally the existing taillights, just with the trim piece that would normally extend over them removed (you can see the indentation in the clear plastic where the trim would normally sit).

View attachment 662539
If that's the shade of red I am getting, vs. what shows on the Tesla digital images, I'm going to be VERY happy.

Does anyone know if they build cars on the weekend??
There was a statement from Elon a few weeks ago telling all employees to tell their friends they are hiring more workers to ramp up production. I'm pretty sure they will run the lines 24/7. That's what my father in law did for GM during ramp. His shifts were all over the place.

Reactions: JimLL and T-Racer
Here’s my theory on the lack of flyover.... Fremont factory manager to Gabeincal ‘Gabe, love your work. Need a favor, head office have just updated deliveries of the S to June for thousands of customers. Problem is we only have a handful of testers and mules on hand. Obviously if you do a flyover its going to be pretty obvious that June ain’t happening for a large number of those that now have their hopes up. So, if you don’t mind, hold off on the flyover for a couple more weeks, we‘ll try and get a few dozen built and in the logistics lot to keep some hope alive.’
RN 1144, MSM, Bkack, Arachnid, 2/5, June 1-30.

w
I’m in same boat

still no delivery window. Just blank
Try checking your insurance info on your account page. I noticed yesterday that there was a new ‘field’ to complete — Insurance agent’s email. After I entered info my delivery went from blank to June.

2021 MS LR | Red | Cream |Tempest | Order RN1142 | November 2020

If that's the shade of red I am getting, vs. what shows on the Tesla digital images, I'm going to be VERY happy.
The MC Red varies wildly depending on current lighting conditions--one of the reasons I loved it.

I also do not think the active wing will be win the first batch of Plaids as the would have it on the website as a feature to help justify the price delta. I think it makes sense to show up on the Plaid+ but I also think that Plaid will go away as a trim level once the Plaid + is shipping.

Reactions: elguapo
The MC Red varies wildly depending on current lighting conditions--one of the reasons I loved it.

I also do not think the active wing will be win the first batch of Plaids as the would have it on the website as a feature to help justify the price delta. I think it makes sense to show up on the Plaid+ but I also think that Plaid will go away as a trim level once the Plaid + is shipping.
I can always hope this thing is built in to the existing wiring harness of the trunk. I'd pay to have the trunk replaced with an active wing.

I thought about getting the spoiler from the Tesla store, but gluing that carbon fiber to the lid just seems tacky. This functional one is just too cool.

Reactions: T-Racer
I can always hope this thing is built in to the existing wiring harness of the trunk. I'd pay to have the trunk replaced with an active wing.

I thought about getting the spoiler from the Tesla store, but gluing that carbon fiber to the lid just seems tacky. This functional one is just too cool.
Better off just saving the extra $$ and ordering the tri-motor MS Plaid with 1,020 HP/TQ instead of the MS LR at that point if you were thinking of spending the extra $$ for the new trunk & integrated active wing spoiler. Huge difference between 800 HP/TQ and 1,020 HP/TQ with torque vectoring, and other upgrades of the MS Plaid. Just saying.