Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possibly for the Plaid+ but E Musk was quoted in 2019 re: testing the Plaid/Plaid + w/ the active wing spoiler back then on a race track and he said it wouldn't go onto production cars. But who knows what they'll do for the Plaid +. Again, I get it and I know what it's used for; Porsche 911 has an active/hide-away rear spoiler but it's just not that big and "boy racer" looking.
Yeah I can't see a scenario where I would deploy that thing as high as it goes, but just having a retractable spoiler adds a cool factor to the car. Kind of weird that they had one on the MX for awhile, but never the MS.

And that video just shows how far ahead of its time the 3000GT was. They had front and rear active spoilers in 1991...

Resorting to insults over an opinion about a car? You sound like a high school kid that just got insulted over a clothing brand. Sorry I stung you so harshly. Your carbon fiber spoiler is very elegant and stylish. I hope that validation sooths your ego. I'll steer clear of responding to your posts in the future.
Not offended at all actually. I just think you have a very different idea of what's tacky on a $100K+ EV vs. what's classy, what works, and looks great for a vehicle you've already made clear you cannot afford at this time (MS Plaid). I suppose this is the look you're going for (except maybe you can somehow incorporate an electronic control with a remote switch taped to your dashboard perhaps?) and of course, to each his own. We all wish you well.

Attachments

• Boy Racer Rear Spoiler for Posers.png
    Boy Racer Rear Spoiler for Posers.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Zoom in and enlarge the picture; it sits about 1'6" above the trunk. It's BIG imho. Anyhow, no matter...we'll see if it becomes std or at least an option for the MS Plaid + in 2022...definitely not happening for the MS Plaid this year...I like the std, classy matte carbon fiber rear spoiler for my MS Plaid. :cool:
Wing or no wing...you guys are giving me whiplash in regret/no regret in cancelling my plus order.

• Funny
Reactions: sflgator
I've been following this thread somewhat closely and I don't believe I've seen this theory, from a comment on Reddit about 4 days ago...

There is no front radar on the new S/X so I suspect they’re waiting until there’s the new autopilot release to deliver them. Would be weird to deliver their flagships if autopilot doesn’t work properly. This would also explain why the timeline has been so off.

In reading a bunch of other conjecture spread across Reddit and Twitter, I'm just starting to think the refresh S/X shipments are constrained by v11 and FSD software releases. Not battery, semiconductor, or USB cable sourcing issues.

I don't buy this theory BUT - one thing that may support it. Go to the model S landing page on your phone and on your laptop/desktop.

On your phone, the model S/X landing page says something like "160m of forward protection" which excludes the word "radar".

On desktop it specifically mentions "radar protection" for all models. Maybe they forgot to update the desktop version?
The 3/Y specially mention radar on both devices. For those of you looking: it's basically the bottom of the page above the specs chart.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-105321.png
    Screenshot_20210516-105321.png
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_19.png
    Screenshot_19.png
    551.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Not offended at all actually. I just think you have a very different idea of what's tacky on a $100K+ EV vs. what's classy, what works, and looks great for a vehicle you've already made clear you cannot afford at this time (MS Plaid). I suppose you this is the look you're going for (except maybe you can somehow incorporate an electronic control with a remote switch taped to your dashboard perhaps?) and of course, to each his own. We all wish you well.
More passive aggressive insults. Ending each snippy, insulting response with well wishes does not mean you aren't being a childish *sugar*.

Not offended at all actually. I just think you have a very different idea of what's tacky on a $100K+ EV vs. what's classy, what works, and looks great for a vehicle you've already made clear you cannot afford at this time. I suppose you this is the look you're going for (except maybe you can somehow incorprate an electronic control with a remore switch taped to your dashboard perhaps?) and of course, to each his own. We all wish you well.
Non functional wings are still a thing on asian cars in SoCal. Like auto equivalent of Mullets, they just never go away.

If I had a plus, and IF it had a functional wing, I'd probably keep it retracted all the time when in mature company...
Not only that, but the rear end has also been modified. There is no chrome/black trim above the license plate area, and that portion of the panel appears slightly concaved - ending in a slightly protruding lip - whereas it currently has no curve before meeting the trim (see comparison photos). The tail lights are also different, as they normally have the trim extended over them but that is missing as well. (EDIT: Nevermind - these are the old tails, just with the trim piece removed.) Unfortunately the tails still lack a diffuser over the LEDs, but one can hope that change is coming...

This all speaks to a more intentional design change as opposed to something just slapped on for testing purposes.

View attachment 662528

View attachment 662530

PS. The photos from Laguna Seca are making me strongly reconsider my choice of blue...
For the amount of money for a plaid, really like the red/cream combo. Anything darker is just two uncomfortable in the desert.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I think there’s some truth to the radar and AP piece, but it’s only one of what appear to be 1,000 items creating a delay. I am also guessing (total SWAG) that they’re keeping radars in all S and X for the near term and one day we will just read someone got their S without it. That’s more of a Tesla thing to do. Right now, with FSD and AP, removing totally could cause more issues with bifurcating code…

The model x there doesn't have front ultrasonic sensors. "The dots" .. it does have it in the rear.
Why would they use the ultrasonic sensors when they have cameras? Based on Elon saying they don’t need radar, I don’t know why they’d still need the ultrasonic sensors. They’re pretty awful anyway, especially at higher speeds.

Either the cameras can do it all or they can’t…come on Uncle Elon.

I think there’s some truth to the radar and AP piece, but it’s only one of what appear to be 1,000 items creating a delay. I am also guessing (total SWAG) that they’re keeping radars in all S and X for the near term and one day we will just read someone got their S without it. That’s more of a Tesla thing to do. Right now, with FSD and AP, removing totally could cause more issues with bifurcation going code…

Yeah, I just can't imagine that they have perfect hardware/software/parts otherwise and someone said "hey guys - even though we just spent like a billion dollars on this product line for R&D/tools, we should hold off for 4-6 months until the new FSD that is going to take forever to rollout, gets rolled out."

I just think it's a bunch of random *sugar* still. Though, the text on the website is weird...

Reactions: elguapo
If we REALLY want to know what’s going on then this is what one of you needs to do:
  1. Go to a local Auto Show.
  2. Climb on top of a Tesla floor sample (I recommend a Cybertruck).
  3. Start frantically screaming that the brakes failed on your Model S and waving a placard stating the same.
  4. Eventually be dragged struggling off the convention floor by security.
Presto!! Information will be forthcoming!

So who is going to volunteer?!?
Peterson auto museum open Wednesday in LA with a Roadster II display. Target of opportunity.

Yeah, I just can't imagine that they have perfect hardware/software/parts otherwise and someone said "hey guys - even though we just spent like a billion dollars on this product line for R&D/tools, we should hold off for 4-6 months until the new FSD that is going to take forever to rollout, gets rolled out."

I just think it's a bunch of random *sugar* still. Though, the text on the website is weird...

I hear you on that. Something that hardware engineers will never admit to is that software engineering is a challenge orders of magnitude more complex, being in that profession (and biased, I'll admit) it's likely the culprit in delay. We all know the monumental feat the organization has achieved so far with FSD, the theory of constraints says that's likely the limiting factor.

I'm about 40% confident I'm right. :)