Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So everyone has been waiting all these months for the secret hidden features Elon hasn't told us about. What if there aren't any and everything is on the website? Will you be let down?
I.can’t speak for others outside of TMC. I’ve been active here almost every day since the announcement in late January. I think most of us want more clarity on the Yoke, lack of stalks, the new software, manually putting the car in D R P etc.

@omarsultan If you don’t mind me asking... how much was opticoat (and did you get full coverage or partial)? I’ve read positive reviews and am considering it.
Sure - it was $1,200 including paint correction (whole car). This was for OptiCoat Pro+ which has a 7 year warranty.

The X refresh doesn’t appear to be getting nearly as much love as the S. I haven’t heard much about the X. My guess is Tesla will sell 5 S for every 1 X. This is just total guesswork ha
This has never been the case in the US market. In 2020, Tesla sold 20,301 Model S and 26,100 Model X. I don’t see any reason to expect that trend-line to change significantly for 2021. Using historical figures, I would expect slightly higher demand for the SUV at least in the US Market. I don’t know what the international figures look like, but I’m sure the X has less demand outside of North America.

Difficult for me personally to tell what’s what but one thing I did notice is there are many more dark colored MS’s there; don’t seem to see many, if any white MS’s…am I wrong?
It is weird, given that white is the default color and everything else is an upsell

So everyone has been waiting all these months for the secret hidden features Elon hasn't told us about. What if there aren't any and everything is on the website? Will you be let down?
No, mostly I just want more details on the things they did announce (stalkless driving, new AP hardware, noise cancelling, etc) and any under-the skin improvements like the new drivetrain.

True. Guessing first VINs are issued next week or perhaps even during that June 3rd event in Fremont, CA the following week. Then, deliveries start at mid-end of June. Still wondering about possible July deliveries and why almost nobody's Tesla accounts are showing estimated delivery July. Why skip July and go straight to August? Are they just going to build & deliver M3s & MYs in July and no refresh MS?
I would guess, if they follow the script from the Model 3, the June 3rd batch will be insiders and employees--folks that will honor an NDA and not jump on Twitter to trash their new car.

Haven't there been reports on here of people taking deliveries a day or so after receiving VIN? Tesla never seems to follow same path twice. I mean, look at all the chaos in posting dates.
Yeah, happens all the time if your SA can match you with an inventory car or a car that was not delivered to the original buyer for some reason.

I am also wondering what happened to July deliveries.

This has never been the case in the US market. In 2020, Tesla sold 20,301 Model S and 26,100 Model X. I don’t see any reason to expect that trend-line to change significantly for 2021. Using historical figures, I would expect slightly higher demand for the SUV at least in the US Market. I don’t know what the international figures look like, but I’m sure the X has less demand outside of North America.
The trend will likely change due to the Model Y.

Edit: Also, Model S sales were down big-time in 2020 because people were expecting a refresh announcement.

Last edited:
Thanks for info. I just got a quote of $1800 for OptiCoat Pro+. Is price dependent on location or do you think I should get more than 1 quote?
Definitely get more than one quote but also get the detail on what they are doing so you know they are doing equivalent work. Attached is what my guy does for the exterior--I'll probably add OptiCoat to the wheels as well, which will be an upcharge.

1621709025657.png

This is for my as yet delivered MS so it would be brand new! This is the info I got.

Geez you can almost PPF the entire car for that price… I always wondered if these coatings were worth it. In my eyes, film is a better paint protection than a liquid. I’ve always had film and I feel like it does a very good job compared to the cars I don’t get covered. The thing that bothers me the most is rock chips and $3000 coatings will not protect against those but film will.