Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it across the board that any carbon fiber order for S/X is delayed until August? I’m just curious if they had some stock of CF but not enough for all orders for June.
Well, on Plaid orders carbon fiber was previously the only option available. Therefore, it is safe to assume that the majority of the Plaid order book that will be delivered in June will have the carbon fiber. I assume they must have run into a supply chain issue on the carbon fiber, so they put the wood option on the configurator and let us know that delivery would be delayed on new carbon fiber orders.

It also looks like white interiors might just delay the delivery on all cars since the only Plaid cars I have seen with August delivery dates listed appear to have white interiors.

What do you guys think? Does my analysis sound accurate?

Well, on Plaid orders carbon fiber was previously the only option available. Therefore, it is safe to assume that the majority of the Plaid order book that will be delivered in June will have the carbon fiber. I assume they must have run into a supply chain issue on the carbon fiber, so they put the wood option on the configurator and let us know that delivery would be delayed on new carbon fiber orders.

It also looks like white interiors might just be a delayed delivery option since the only Plaid cars I have seen with August delivery dates appear to have white interiors.

I'm going to speculate that some folks like wood more than they like carbon fiber. Most folks even? I think of carbon fiber as ultra-high-grade plastic. It's certainly not a luxury item.

BTW -- I'm not dissing carbon fiber. If I had the option for carbon fiber on the LR, I would have chosen it, because it fits my aesthetic.

Hey guys I have a Tesla Model S delivery update.

Started with March, then August, then June 1 - 30.

Now June 22 - 30.

Betting it will to away soon lol.

I started with the website's estimate of February - March, then March, then June 1 - 30, then August, then blank (no dash, no sign that there was ever supposed to be a delivery estimate).

I'm not a grammarian so I had to look up what "limbic resonance" means. Here's what I found: "Limbic resonance is the idea that the capacity for sharing deep emotional states arises from the limbic system of the brain. These states include the dopamine circuit-promoted feelings of empathic harmony, and the norepinephrine circuit-originated emotional states of fear, anxiety and anger." Elon Musk is right: words cannot describe the anxiety and anger (limbic resonance) these delays and lack of communication have caused.

I got a VIN for my Model 3 performance with an estimated delivery date of May 29 - June 1... I'm not sure if I can hold out any longer for the Model S, but I know I'll be kicking myself if we start getting VINs at the end of June for our Model S orders!
I also got a much-closer M3P date today. Before yesterday it said June 5-21, yesterday it said "3-5 weeks", today it says "May 31 - June 12"

Non-zero chance that the delay has nothing to do with the cars and is just accommodating Elon’s personal schedule.

My bet is on software though. Partly because it takes about a week to “compile” Autopilot (NN training). But even if it’s not an AP change, it could be that they had to crack the software release branch open to make another change to something, and it reset their QA timeline.
I don’t think Tesla has a QA team, if they did, USB album art display won’t be broken for close to an year now. It worked fine when I picked up my car in March 2020

My account is still not showing any est date range, but I've already accepted a likely July or Aug delivery so anything sooner would be a nice surprise. Although I think they're going to commit to the 6/10/21 "delivery event" now, I still only think a small portion of MS Plaid orders will actually be delivered in June...maybe VIPs, Tesla employees, and super early pre-refresh announcement orders.

This is my first Tesla so again, I'm not sure how it all works; seems completely haphazard and random...like they literally just conduct their deliveries on the fly and see the process as a completely fluid situation hyping things up and up only to move the goalposts further and further back without even an ounce of care for their customers. The vehicle itself may in fact over-deliver on performance and technology, but the company and it's ordering/delivery process is absolutely a complete failure. It's difficult to fathom that in 10+ years (and don't tell me it's more like just the fast few years starting from the M3 launch...b.s. -- they've been manufacturing, selling, and delivering EVs for 10 years!), Tesla Motors has not learned that it's truly better to under-promise and over-deliver on everything!

I don’t think Tesla has a QA team, if they did, USB album art display won’t be broken for close to an year now. It worked fine when I picked up my car in March 2020
I have a 2013, and the USB album art has broken more times than I can remember. I think this time is gone for good though. I think it is related to reducing storage in the flash drive.

Reactions: omarsultan
It’s possible the delay is related to a “one more thing” aspect of the event and not the Plaid. If that’s the case, whether that should be holding up delivery of people’s vehicles is another matter entirely, but nevertheless…
It's interesting in yesterday's flyover. All the MS are pretty much gone except for those that were parked by the train tracks that are incredibly dirty (and those have been moved to the logistics lot). But there's significantly less MS at the factory now. I'm wondering if they're all headed now on trucks for the "nationwide" delivery event. Makes since if it's just software hold up and some programer said we can't deliver I've got this one last thing to fix.

Non-zero chance that the delay has nothing to do with the cars and is just accommodating Elon’s personal schedule.

They won’t crack open anything. They will create a new hot fix branch. But this Tesla IT, may be that’s exactly the kind of tomfoolery they would engage in.
“Crack open the release branch” is software engineering speak for applying a fix to the release branch and spinning a new build after having signed off on the release - resetting the escrow period / QA process.

It's interesting in yesterday's flyover. All the MS are pretty much gone except for those that were parked by the train tracks that are incredibly dirty (and those have been moved to the logistics lot). But there's significantly less MS at the factory now. I'm wondering if they're all headed now on trucks for the "nationwide" delivery event. Makes since if it's just software hold up and some programer said we can't deliver I've got this one last thing to fix.
Was there a flyover video yesterday? Is it on YouTube or something...? Can someone share?

I’m there. It’s becoming really obvious there’s some REAL *sugar* going on behind the scenes. No way in hell I’m taking delivery the first delivery date that’s offered to me.

Really hoping the June guinea pigs have a great experience, but it honestly feels like we’re on the bleeding edge with this one
I’ll be happy to be a guinea pig. So if you have a June delivery and I have August, I’d be happy to switch. I’ll even throw in 1000 free sc miles 🥂😎